Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

A-80...to buy or not to buy...see pic!

Kevbo

So I got an email today from someone interested in selling this to me for $150. Sadly, no deck but it I believe it is original without the seat and the black rattlecan job...If I would get this I think I would only offer $75 at most and it would be for the sole purpose of restoring as a "collector". I've heard the A-80 is kind of rare but not much work can be done with it with the light tranny and vertical shaft engine. Any thoughts?

photo_zps25d11a39.jpg

rmaynard

The A-80 is a lawn tractor. I wouldn't spend much for it. The collectible value is minimal.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Kevbo

Thanks rmaynard I am in agreement.

ericj

i am not keen on the vertical shaft tractors but to each his own just don't give much for it. you might want to look a little closer at the craftsman in the back ground some of them had the onan p series in them usually the series III

eric j

TT

This might not be received well, but it's what I feel is the truth......

There are far too many "real" Wheel Horses out there to waste your time with something like that.

Selective purchasing now will save a lot of future headaches when you realize not everything with the words "Wheel Horse" printed on a sticker is worth collecting.

Those of us who have been around a while have seen this often and it usually results in the selling of the "oops" purchases to make room for the good stuff.

It's your money, time, and storage space, but I would add "no vertical shaft lawn tractors or rear engine riders" in your wanted ad(s).

• Like 1

Tankman

An A series doesn't move me. Can't do anything with an A 'cept mow, and this poor thing

doesn't have a deck. Not even a trailer (something I could use).

Move on to :wh: Stallions!

TT

I can overlook the fact that it doesn't have a mower deck, but it doesn't have rear fenders either - and the seat looks like it came from an elementary school classroom.

The quick-access fuel door sure is a nice accessory though. :blink: My guess is that it's the project of a youngster and it has been thoroughly tested for durability. :hide:

Kevbo

Haha I agree with all of you! I will be passing on this one :thanks:

farmerall

The most that would be worth to me is 50.

Can't do anything with an A 'cept mow, and this poor thing

doesn't have a deck. Not even a trailer (something I could use).

Move on to :wh: Stallions!

IMHO I feel that the Lt Wheel Horses get a bad name because to often they are compared to their larger Gt siblings. They are a lawn tractor and they were built to mow grass and do light work. To me it seems like a lot of people don't like them because they are smaller and weaker, which is true, but hey, they weren't designed for heavy work. I have owned three Wheel Horse Lts and they have all been good tractors. I had a Wheel Horse A90 lt and even though it was made to cut grass it was still overbuilt for what it was designed for.

Wheel-N-It

- and the seat looks like it came from an elementary school classroom.. :hide:

The Wheel Horse Nuns put it there :teasing-whipyellow:

• Like 2

855ownerJoel

I have passed on several vertical shaft engines in the past. They do not have equal hp to hp as a horizontal shaft engine if you ask me. I would not give much if you were to buy it. I have seen several for sale here that just do not seem to attract buyers.

SousaKerry

I have two LT's neither run and prolly never will again.. I often wonder why I keep them in storage at all when I have horizontal shafts sitting outside, other then the fact that they are easy to move,

welderman85

vert tractors are kinda hit and miss some like them some dont. i bought my 211-5 shortly after my c-101. i bought the 101 to pull and the 211-5 for my small yard it was in ok shape and came with a 36" blower, a 30" tiller and a 37" deck with a bagger i paid 150.00 for it.it worked great for the small yard . it cut grass through snow and tilled a garden.now i have 7 acers and a bunch of bigger wheel horses but i still use my two vert shaft tractors alot.to me there tough for how small they are and have a place in my fleet.but if you hold out you can get a better deal. my other vert shaft is a GT 1136 that i got from the scrap yard for 40.00 brought it home put a battery in it and cut grass for a hour. there good little tractors but i wouldnt pay alot for them when there big brothers are out there for cheap

SNYFIX

How much are they gonna pay you to get it out of thier shed ??

• Like 1

squonk

That looks like someone made a racer out of it. Who know if the governor has been tampered with. Love the exhaust! :jaw:

baerpath

I've been looking for a B 85 to fix up and take to the pulls as a tow back tractor. Figure it won't take up much room and there light. But around here seems the little ones are right up there on price, I'd be under 100 if it was still red, black 50 bucks