Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Removing a seat cover

Duff

Need some advice/instruction, folks, please?

I just got a nice one-owner '88 310-8 from a fellow member. Among its many positive qualities is an original seat with the embossed WH logo. It has only a very tiny (1/2") cut which a friend of mine who does upholstery repairs can fix pretty easily. Now here's the problem....

I was removing the seat to take it to my friend and discovered hairline cracks in the seat pan at the holes where the seat bolts attach to the supports. In the short term this probably wouldn't be an issue, but over the long haul (all of my tractors are workers to some degree) these will only expand. How difficult is it/how do I go about removing the seat cover and padding from the pan so I can have it welded?

Thanks for any and all suggestions! :text-thankyoublue:

Duff :thumbs:

TT

If the metal clip at the center front of the edge trim is still crimped tight, you might need to spread it a little.

Once it's free, just pull the edge trim off - beginning at the splice.

After the edge trim is removed, the cover & foam (they're "glued" together) will pull off of the pan.

Duff

Thanks, TT! I was hoping it would be a fairly simple task - just never tried it before, and didn't want to mess up a good seat! :text-thankyoublue:

Duff :thumbs:

TT

post-33-0-08038300-1358210429.png

By the way - make sure the cover is 'summer day' warm before you begin.

• Like 2

Duff

Roger, that! Fortunately my workshop gets up to about 80 degrees with the wood stove cranking. Thanks!

~D

JackC

Let us know how it goes. I have a similar situation. Some pictures would help.

Kevbo

After your seat is repaired I have heard it is good to let the seat soak in some type of Under Armor or Meguiar's to keep the vinyl nice a flexible so it doesnt tear anymore. I just got a C-160 with a near perfect original seat and I let some Meguiar's soak in to hopefully preserve its condition as long as possible.

Duff

Thanks, Kevin! Anybody got any specific recommendations for a good product? :thanks:

Duff :bow-blue:

TT

Anybody got any specific recommendations for a good product? :thanks:

Duff :bow-blue:

This is what I used to use on my cycle seats: http://www.303produc...protectant.html

Armor All and similar protectants are too slippery for seating surfaces.

The most important part is getting the cover as clean as possible before applying the protectant. If you don't, you'll force the dirt further into the vinyl and make it worse.

I just read an interesting thread on another forum about using Goop waterless hand cleaner to clean vinyl seats. They claim it lifts the dirt from the pores of the material and helps to soften it at the same time. I have never tried it, but I will as soon as I get some Goop. :handgestures-thumbup:

Duff

Goop....hmmmmm! I keep a supply of that stuff in my bathroom at all times - one of the best handcleaners out there. If I get to my seat before you get some Goop, TT, I'll report back!

Thanks!

~Duff

• Like 1

roscoemi

Goop will also work as a great stain remover on clothes before they go into the wash.

TT

The Goop is in the house!

Next step is to find a seat to serve as a "guinea pig". :handgestures-thumbup:

TT

FAIL!

The guinea pig is an officially-embossed seat cover from an early 80's Work Horse LT

Even warmed up, it's quite brittle and stiff.

Although the Goop "trick" I read about was technically for vinyl automotive seats, I figured it was worth a shot on this seat cover.

Here's the seat:

post-33-0-07881800-1358608689_thumb.jpg

The Goop seagull flew over :ychain:

post-33-0-20897900-1358608692_thumb.jpg

Worked in with my fingers first, then an old toothbrush:

post-33-0-62078500-1358608695_thumb.jpg

Nothing really changed in the feel of the cover, but it did remove the surface dirt:

post-33-0-04645300-1358608700_thumb.jpg

Once that spot dried, I applied some mink oil. It made it a little better looking, but didn't penetrate the cover or soften it in any way.

I applied another round of Goop and left it there for approximately 16 hours. It turned into a clear liquid and once again had no effect of the hard seat cover.

My conclusion is that auto upholstery is a more porous "fabric" vs. the plastic-like vacuum-formed material used on this type of molded seat. The Goop might work on the sewn covers found on the earlier tractors, but it did absolutely nothing on this cover.

• Like 2

varosd

TT Terry: Mythbuster or Consumer Reports guru? :rolleyes:

ericj

i have a nearly perfect 2 piece seat for an early C series that i want to put on my 73 16 auto but half afraid that it might get messed up. does any one think goop would work on this style seat to give it extra protection

eric

TT

Goop allegedly cleans and softens the seat, but offers no protection.

The only way I know to protect and preserve a seat is keep it covered and don't sit on it. :hide: