Sign in to follow this  
wh5208speed

C-161-8 Speed with 520 Axle & Steering Conversion

wh5208speed

Thought I would share some photos of the steps it takes to convert a C-161-8 Speed to 520 gear reduction steering and forward swept axle. This is my 2nd conversion as I already have done a previous C-161-8 conversion, but I didn't take any photos about 3 years ago. I figure this will take me about 3-4 weeks to complete as there are some pieces I have ordered that haven't yet arrived and I usually get to work on tractors on Saturday. My 8 year old son has been helping with this conversion, which is the best part. I bought one of the impact drill driver and he loves zipping bolts on an off!! Here is my 1st photo. DSCN00311_zpsb2bf6154.jpg In my 1st conversion I used a 416 frame and this steering gear didn't need any modification. However, using the C-161-8 frame this time, the foot pegs are located slightly closer towards the dash tower which required a little metal work. It was ground down a little bit towards the gears so it would not touch the cross rod for the foot pegs. Thad (Ohio)

2nd part. We had to drill four new holes to hold the gear reduction housing. Thad (Ohio) DSCN00331_zps4d84bd4a.jpg

• Like 2

wh5208speed

Part 3: The bell crank on the C-Series is taller than the one on the 520. If you use the C-Series version it is too long and it rubs the gear reduction and won't allow the lift link to go all the way down. In the photo the 520 version is on the right. DSCN00361_zps6bfcc2a8.jpg Here is what the bell crank looks like once it is installed. DSCN00411_zps3e2d2a53.jpg

What it looks like with the forward swept axle and gear reduction installed. DSCN00321_zps379893d4.jpg

Couple of other 520H upgrades: Front quick hitch and mid quick hitch: DSCN00351_zps00ba0524.jpgDSCN00341_zps2da64192.jpg

Don't forget to put the upper steering rod into the dash town before you install the tower....or you will have to take it back off like I had to!!! DSCN00421_zps905406ef.jpg

Done for the night.....I knew it was time to call it quits when my partner in crime got quite all of a sudden :)DSCN00431_zps19ccb8fc.jpg I will try to get some more photos posted as soon as get back on the project. Thad (Ohio)

Sparky

Interesting read. I had always thought it was a pretty straight forward swap without having to make any modifications. I wonder if its a straight swap if it was being put in a 300 or 400 series machine :scratchead: .

Mike.............

oldredrider

Other than the obvious ease of steering, respectfully, why are you doing the conversion? Larger mower deck etc.?

Sparky

Other than the obvious ease of steering, respectfully, why are you doing the conversion? Larger mower deck etc.?

I cant answer for Thad but it does give you a more stable machine for a front-end loader. And of course the obvious....."The Cool Factor" !

Mike...........

Kelly

Why did you move the steering forwards?? it should have bolted up in the same holes as the orig. and only had to drill one pair of holes, the footrest bar is in the same place on both tractors, not sure what is up there????

Ok I see a problem, the pic of the front attach a matic you can see you have the steering shaft pushed to far forwards, it should not stick out like it is, it should be about flush with the frame cross member, you might unbolt the rear part and pull it back so it lines up with the factory bolt holes, or your upper steering shaft is not going to line up with the dash correctly.

Edited by Kelly

wh5208speed

I have had a 520-8 speed for over 13 years. I really like the combination of a gear driven WH with the wider set axle. There are some small benefits like stability on hillsides, easier turning, 60" deck, etc....but my main driver is I always like to improve things. Thad (Ohio)

If you use it in a 300-400 series you won't have to shave down the steering rod because the foot pegs will line up perfectly....but you will have to change out the bell crank. Thad (Ohio)

Interesting read. I had always thought it was a pretty straight forward swap without having to make any modifications. I wonder if its a straight swap if it was being put in a 300 or 400 series machine :scratchead: .

Mike.............

wh5208speed

When I installed my 1st conversion on the 416-8 frame, you were right that the 1st set of holes is already there for the gear reduction and all you have to do is drill the 2nd set. However, it is slightly in a different spot on the C-series frame....It kind of surprised me as well. Thad (Ohio)

Why did you move the steering forwards?? it should have bolted up in the same holes as the orig. and only had to drill one pair of holes, the footrest bar is in the same place on both tractors, not sure what is up there????

wh5208speed

Kelly, You are right. When I 1st installed it the front carrier bearing was stuck and I didn't realize it. It took one of those 2 foot screwdriver/prybar to move it. It slide down so the back of the gear reduction tower lined up with the two original holes and I had to drill two more. Never ran into this problem last time...but I am glad you caught it because it would have bound up the upper steering shaft and the dash. Thanks again, Thad

Ok I see a problem, the pic of the front attach a matic you can see you have the steering shaft pushed to far forwards, it should not stick out like it is, it should be about flush with the frame cross member, you might unbolt the rear part and pull it back so it lines up with the factory bolt holes, or your upper steering shaft is not going to line up with the dash correctly.

Kelly

Glad to help, I knew the bars for the footrest on the 78 and newer tractors are all in the same spot, so you got me thinking and looking at the pics closer, good luck with the rest of the project. :handgestures-thumbup: