Sign in to follow this  
Whmaverick

Rattling parking brake on my automatic

Whmaverick

Hello, sorta new to red square, been creepin around gleaning all I can for a while now. As my addiction grows so does my collection, oh boy now I finally admitted it. Any way, I can't help but be annoyed by the rattle that my two C-160 parking brakes have and was wondering if this is something to just make peace with or if there is a clever way to stop it. Thanks in advance. Oh yeah I'm working on getting pics capability soon, sorry.

squonk

My 160 does the same thing. I have a spare brake lever set up and was fooling around with it and I tried putting a wave washer on it where the linkage pivots. I'm pretty sure that will take out the rattle. I'm waiting for my new floor boards to come back from blasting so I can get them painted. When I install them, I'll pull off the belt guard and install the washer.

rmaynard

I had the same problem with the parking brake lever on the 1972 Charger 10. Turns out the hole in the center of the lever, which should be oval, had been worn out to be almost 1/3 larger than it should be. I found a good used lever to replace it and that reduced the rattling significantly.

post-2221-0-09894900-1357613049.png

squonk

That's the spot I put the washer.

refracman

I have welded and recut the the hole, also the lower mount hole and bushings 24 & 26 wear out. Also the bearing in the idler pulley can be worn and cause it to rattle. I've repaired a few of these and found to fix it all up at once cause I hate going back at it cause still rattled.

Whmaverick

Thanks for the info I think I will try the wave washer idea as my wear areas are still pretty tight. My 74' only has 460hrs but rattles annoyingly

. I will reply with the outcome. I think this is an area that needs addressed on these models.

Thanks again.

SousaKerry

My c-125 has the same issue, Had to weld shut the slot and mill it out again as it was about as wide as the bar, that didn't kill it completely, bearing in idler is good next step is wave washer. I seem to recall there is a service bulitin about this somewhere that recommended adding a wave washer to cure this problem. When It bigs me too much I jamb a stick in the hole to keep the bar tight to the side of the slot but it always falls out after 10 minutes.