Sign in to follow this  
whc160

RUBBER TIRE CHAIN ?

whc160

I have seen alot of you have the rubber tire chains. My one :wh: is at my mom's flower shop with a 42" blade on it for winter. She just poured new sidewalk two years ago. I have not put chains on the tractor because I don't want her to make marks on the walk. The rear tires are Firestone bar tires loaded with about 64 lbs each. I thought it would be enough, but it still loses traction.

Will the rubber chains work on the bar tires ? Or are they better on turf tires ?

GlenPettit

Yes, the rubber cross links would work with Bar Lug tires, . . . but they would work much better with turf tires (by having much more contact with ground).

I would recommend more weight in/on the rear tires. Since you already have 64# weights on them, consider having RimGuard put in the tires (50#+ each, with tubes), or add inside rear weights (hard to find).

Google RimGuard, most tractor/truck tire shops can do this, about $75/tire. Plan 'B' is to use Windshield or RV Antifreeze, these can be done by yourself at home. would add about 40#/tire. Plan 'C' is to gain weight yourself, 300# would give your tractor lots of traction.

Also, be sure to add 10-20# to the front tires to help with steering, that makes a big difference.

• Like 1

855ownerJoel

Yes, the rubber cross links would work with Bar Lug tires, . . . but they would work much better with turf tires (by having much more contact with ground).

I would recommend more weight in/on the rear tires. Since you already have 64# weights on them, consider having RimGuard put in the tires (50#+ each, with tubes), or add inside rear weights (hard to find).

Google RimGuard, most tractor/truck tire shops can do this, about $75/tire. Plan 'B' is to use Windshield or RV Antifreeze, these can be done by yourself at home. would add about 40#/tire. Plan 'C' is to gain weight yourself, 300# would give your tractor lots of traction.

Also, be sure to add 10-20# to the front tires to help with steering, that makes a big difference.

I think the surgeon general would be against the weight gain option, just saying!!!

SousaKerry

Plan 'C' is to gain weight yourself, 300# would give your tractor lots of traction.
:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I can hear it now..

"but honey I can't start that new years diet now I need the weight to ballast the tractor...wait till spring"

varosd

I like my rubber tire chains. are they better than v-bar or regular chains?, no. but they don't tear up the 7 pails of blacktop sealer My wife and I put down this year! Lucky, I got mine of CL for $15.00. :D

photo6-1.jpg

• Like 1

whc160

Glen the 64 lbs in each wheel is rim guard. The rim guard, wheel, & tire (23x8.50x12) weight 83 lbs total. I also have a set of 10.50 bar tires loaded with rim guard, Total weight on them is 103 lbs. I use that one with them here at home with chains on my stone drive way. My dad used the tractor at the flower shop in a 5" to 6" snow. I have not used it yet. He said he had problems more so backing up. Witch as most know bar tires get better traction in one direction than the other. Now I will have to decide more weight, rubber chains, or both.

And as for me adding weight myself. Everybody that knows me thinks I have a tape worm. I eat like a horse and never gain any weight.

• Like 1

Tankman

Whopper Wednesday is the order of the day. Careful, leave arm rests up or get a wider

seat.

To add enough weight, start chowin' down in early spring to be ready for winter snow.

Hey! You could build an enclosed awning over the walkway! :woohoo:

• Like 1