Sign in to follow this  
welderman85

spray bomb qustions

welderman85

i have my gt 1142 all tore apart and primed i was going to spray it with valspar but it got cold and now with a baby i dont really have time to set up a both and spend the day painting.So i was thinking i coould spray bomb the black parts in the garge and little by little get it done. but i dont know what brand of spray bomb to use the tractor will be a worker but i would like it to hold up good. i was thinking rustoluem,valspar or duplicolor i dont know what will hold up the best with out a hardener in it. so i was wondering what you guys have had good luck with. thank you

Kelly

I like good old rustoleum it has served me well over the years, I when using a rattle can, in that brand I go for Regal red.

This tractor was done with it 2 winters ago, still not bad looking, it has dulled some, but I'm happy with it for a basic paint job.

post-85-0-30669700-1357524981_thumb.jpg

The tomb stone weight and plow are orig. paint, you can see the tractor is a bit darker, but I like it over the other rattle can colors.

be careful painting with a baby in the house, the fumes to you may not be bad, but it could be very bad for him/her.

OPPS I see your doing a gray tractor not a red one :hide:

Edited by Kelly
  • Like 2

Wishin4a416

I have started my project also and am just doing the small parts now at work because of my cold garage. I am using Rustoleum Regal Red too.

I will get a quart for the sheet metal and blow it on when spring comes. It goes on nice and if you make the last coat good and wet it flows out nice too.

I have a dryer at work which helps alot. [ The catwalks above the boilers ] It drys nicely.

Ken B

I'm with the other guys. I usually go with at least 4 light coats waiting about 10 mins between each coat. I then lay the last coat on pretty good. Have some real good lighting while layin down the last coat. It'll come out nice.

JackC

Any good black spray paint such as Rustoleum gloss black should work on the chassis.

The metallic grey that was used when the Work Horse first came out looks better than the later grey.

• Like 3

JimmyJam

Hey Jack!

Metallic Grey was used on the Work Horse (as shown): Was that a Wheel Horse - Work Horse? What year is the tractor you have pictured... I really like the color scheme! Do you have more pics?

welderman85

i like the metallic vs reg gray. do you have anymore pics of it and what kind of paint did you use. thanks

Kelly

The metalic color looks very close to a Mustang Pace car, I think it was a 79?? I painted 25 years ago, that was a pewter color.

JackC

Jim, welderman85 and Kelly, I had a lot of information on the work horse paint but it is buried somewhere.

I believe the metallic was only used on the 1982 Wheel Horse Work Horse.

It was part number 80335 for the aerosol can and was called "Grey-Pewter Metallic".

It may also have been used for certain parts of the GT2500.

For some reason, maybe cost?, for 1983-1984, they switched to part number 80337 and was called "Grey-Pewter".

The "Grey-Pewter Metallic" was a great color. Why it was only used one year is a mystery to me since it really looked sharp. There must have been a cost factor. I do have an equivalent automobile color somewhere but can't locate it right now. I think one of the Grey-Pewters was equivalent to a Mercury or Chrysler automobile color.

The fender in the previous picture and this picture are from a GT1848 that went for about $1,000 on eBay a few years ago.

• Like 1

welderman85

thank you for the info i think i like the metallic more than just grey. i think im going to go that route

JackC

Here are the auto equivalents, the pewter metallic looks sharp.

Does anyone out there have a 1982 Work Horse with the pewter metallic paint?

All 1982 models: Pewter Metallic - Automotive equivalent 1971 Lincoln-Mercury Pewter Metallic

All 1983/84 models: Pewter Gray - Automotive equivalent 1982 Lincoln Light Pewter (I think the OEM code is #18)

Terry

TT

I'm the opposite......

I have had at least one WorkHorse from each year and I prefer the straight pewter over the metallic.

I think it "gets along" better with the red. :handgestures-thumbup: