Sign in to follow this  
Raider12

Plow Cutting Edge Question

Raider12

Can anyone tell me what size the cutting edge is for a 48: plow? I know it's 48" wide, but how high and how thick? Was it originaly made any special type of steel? I need to make replacement for my own before I frabricate a pair of "Pro-Wings" for the sides.

Edited by Raider12

Kelly

I just had one off about a hour ago to turn it over, it's about 1/8" thick mine was worn on one side but I'm sure it was about 2 1/2" wide when new, I'm pretty sure it's just plain old steel, but harder steel might last longer if you can get the square holes in it.

Wishin4a416

I replaced mine this year. The original is 3/16 thick by?. To worn to tell. I assume you no you can turn it over.

I made one out of 2 1/2'' x 1/4 '' band iron for mine. Toro wanted 36 bucks and I got some bar steel at work for. Well lets just say the price was right.

KC9KAS

I just put a new wear edge on a plow for my GT-14. The plow was 54" wide. The new wear bar is made from a piece of 4" wide X 1/4" thick piece of steel 54" long.

And here is how I made the square holes...

Wishin4a416

I always wondered bout them square holes in steel. I know how to do them in wood because I have the square bits with my shopsmith but never seen the bit for metal.

can whlvr

its a punch that makes some of the square holes,i drill a round hole and use a triangular file to square the holes,its a bit slow but a sharp file will do it

B-8074

I made mine out of a 3 1/2 x 3/8 flat stock. All I did was counter sink the holes.

Kelly

I have a plow out back that has a 4" tall at least 1/2" thick cutting edge off a BIG grader I bet you would never wear that one out, it does tapper down narrow at the bottom but I bet it is HARD, and I know it adds a ton of weight to the plow.

octfst

I just put a new wear edge on a plow for my GT-14. The plow was 54" wide. The new wear bar is made from a piece of 4" wide X 1/4" thick piece of steel 54" long.

And here is how I made the square holes...

love your tip. I have a Bridgeport Mill & always used a small end mill to square off my holes. but also have a nice broach set that I use for key ways. but next time I need a square hole I will be using the press & a broach.

Raider12

I like the idea of square holes! Thanks for all of the replys as well! I do like the idea of making this a little heavier to weigh the plow down a bit. Once I get the cutting edge replaced, I plan to make a pair of extensions, or what I have always called "Pro-Wings". THese will be removable and add a total of 12: to the plow. I had these same items on my Myers plow on my truck. I will besure to take plenty of photos and post tem later.

Whmaverick

The correct standard wear edge for the 42", 48", and the rare 54" snow dozer blades are 2-1/2" X 3-1/16" by the corresponding lengths. The steel used is believed to be cold rolled steel which is harder than hot rolled steel. HTH (hope that helps)

Raider12

"Cold Rolled" that is the discription I was looking for. Thank you!

doc724

I bought my original plow in 1979. I flipped the cutting edge and after 10 years it was done. I had two 1/4 inch thick x 4 inch tall cutting edges fabricated and mounted them both at the same time. I finally sold the plow in 2011 and I never even had to flip the "dual" cutting edges over. The cutting edges were cold rolled steel.