Sign in to follow this  
farmerall

Is this a good deal?

farmerall

I found a Wheel Horse 550 today for sale. It doesn't run and it is rusty but still very solid. It still has the original 5.5hp electric start tec. engine on it and it also still has all of the belt guards and shields. The front rims are rusted and need to be replaced. It also comes with a mower deck and a snow plow. The owner wants 300 for it which I think is a fair price nut I'm not sure

SousaKerry

Pictures will help a lot, with implements is always a plus but a non runner that is a real gamble for $300. If the decks is real solid and has no rot and the spindle casting is not cracked you may have a deal but I think it is a little high. I would low ball it and walk if he doesn't take it.

I would say $150 tops for a non runner but I am cheap.. :eusa-think:

Also does the motor at least turn or is it locked up, how is the hood no dents or cracks or worse yet holes cut in it?

Jake Kuhn

seems like a pretty good deal to me. Even if the tractor is junk you could put those guards on ebay and get almost all of your money back. ~Jake

stevasaurus

Like was said above...both Sousa and Jake are correct. If it is the 5.5 Tecky/Lawson and it is not locked up...may be worth it if you like Tecky's. I certainly would not go more than $300...would be better if it came with deck and blade. :)

farmerall

Overall it looked real solid and the hood looked really nice except that it was rusty. I didn't get a good look at the deck but it is supposed to be solid and the plow looked good. I would have bought it if I had the money but I have to wait for to get it for awhile.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Sorry, I missed the deck and blade part...I would go for it. I don't like to say this, but I like the Tecky/Lawsons...separates the men from the boys. :)

• Like 2

rydogg

I would pick it up even if the engine is bad you can put a kohler k91 in it and have a Suburban 400. It's worth more than $300 in parts but I wouldn't part it out. I have to agree with Steve about the tecky/lauson engines I like them even though the carburetors can be a little tricky, my primary snow removal machine is a 552 with a snow/dirt blade and a 5.5hp Lauson and my driveway grading is done with a 604 that has a 6hp tecumseh they always start easily but occasionally need a little carb adjustment.

The rims ways seem to be rusted out due to them being "filled" my 550 and 551 both have rim issues.

squonk

Sorry, I missed the deck and blade part...I would go for it. I don't like to say this, but I like the Tecky/Lawsons...separates the men from the boys. :)

I would say more like the sane from the insane! :ychain:

krazy_horse

I bought my 550 in Pa. last year for $250. but had to buy both guards (repos) and rebuild the carb. and buy an air filter cover for it. I now have over $300 in it but love it. krazy_horse

neil

I would go and get it if i were you, even for $300 especiallyif as it has the deck , plow and belt guards . There may not be another in your area .