castoff

What is the "benchmark" of restoration?

castoff

I am curious by nature. Here is where my head is at. The hobby of collecting, restoring and showing lawn and garden tractors is relatively in its infancy compared to that of cars, trucks and full size ag tractors. Most of us know that the car hobby has become more of an industry today than the hobby it was intended to be. Many of the shows are judged and the judging is often stringent. There seems to be a bit of a backlash against vehicles that are considered to be "over restored" and for some time now, certain restorers have gone to great lengths to include things such as "overspray" in certain areas as well as various paint stripes and other markings that signify quality control inspections that took place as the vehicle travelled down the assembly line.

When it comes to restoring a garden tractor, it is my position that the person doing the work must be guided by two things.

#!.. the correct parts manual for the tractor because if that manual was done properly, the illustrations will show exactly how the tractor was assembled. It will show not only the type of nut, bolt, washer and screw but also the direction of each fastener was to be in. I am against the painting of fasteners that were not painted when the tractor left the factory. If the fastener was zinc plated, then that's what you use. I am also against the practice of substituting stainless steel fasteners for the original plated variety. Paint is a very controversial subject. Let's be honest. Powder coating is a relatively new method and no manufacturer was using it prior to 1985. I am also not aware of any manufacturer using automotive high end finishes such as clear coat. So... if we are being true to what the factory did, then why are we going down that road? Should we not be sticking with the original enamel type paint and adhering to the factory colour in all areas of the tractor?

#2 in my opinion, the second greatest guide to accurate restoration are the original sales literature for that year, especially when real photographs were used instead of artists renderings. Careful study of photos can reveal many small details that a parts manual cannot. They show what got painted and what was zinc plated. They confirm some of the assembly details and also give hints about decal placement.

Do any of you peruse e-Bay and Craigslist offerings? If so, how many times have you come across tractors for sale where the Seller says that it has been "restored" but on closer inspection by your trained eye, you see mistake after mistake after mistake? So what exactly is the benchmark of a true restoration? Do you attempt to adhere to the standard set by the factory or do you tend to take liberties? If tractor shows were to implement judging, how well do you think your work would viewed by the judges? Would they award your tractor 100 points or just 50?

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

I think you overestimate our dear Viennese, my friend. You know you didn't even give them a good *bang* at the end of songs, to let them know when to clap?

AMC RULES

Do we really need a benchmark to just have fun?

• Like 5

Ken B

Here's where my head is at......

People need to quit over-thinking these tractors and have fun with them.

Bingo!

• Like 2

WheelHorse79

I've just started restoring the 854 I recently purchased. I too have been wondering how far to take the restoration. However, the S/G guard on my tractor was literally ripped in 2 places with several large dents. I couldn't locate a good replacement part, so I filled the rips with JB weld and used some body tools to pound out the dents. The result looks pretty good, but if you get real close with the light at the proper angle, you can see the repairs.

I've decided that the job is good enough for now, and if I find a better replacement, I'll use it. Because my tractor is not rare (ie: 754, 1045, etc.) I plan on doing about a "5 foot" restoration, so I can use the tractor to mow and pull carts occasionally. As others have already said, it would be a shame to restore the tractor to a high standard and be too afraid to use it for its intended purpose. My

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Here's where my head is at......

People need to quit over-thinking these tractors and have fun with them.

Bingo!

Bingo, Bango :text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

There's not too many people here doing a restoration that is exactly correct to the factory. Many people just have different taste or different abilitys on restorations. For example. Martin is able to powder coat his tractors and they look fantastic! I myself paint with automotive base coat/clear coat paint because my parents run a body shop. People have also had very good luck with spray paint and if they do a good job you can't really tell the difference of a job like automotive paint or power coat. It all just depends on what a person likes and there ability and amount of time they have to spend on a tractor. ~Jake

• Like 1

clintonnut

Honestly, as long as you disassemble the tractor right, do proper metal prep (sandblast/strip etc) and do basic repairs such as welding cracks and fixing dents, use a decent quality paint (doesn't have to be base coat clear), use a HVLP gun, not a brush, use close colors, correct decals and placement and don't bling it up in chrome and dumb decals, you can't go wrong! This isn't like building a hot rod car. If you want to modify it, go ahead, otherwise inspect the originality as you disassemble it noting painted parts, bolts etc and you're fine. It will look sharp.

Manuals weren't always accurate for reference pictures. They were usually prototypes on the cover so there were differences. Take for example the RJ58 manual and the 1961 manual. Those tractors are different from production in several aspects.

Mainly, HAVE FUN DOING IT! Shoot for reliability before you consider looks. See plenty of beautiful paint jobs these days on tractors with leaky, whining and grinding transmissions and smokey engines with half a turn of steering play.

Just my input here. We all have opinions.

• Like 3

clintonnut

Oh, and typically I can do an entire tractor for under $500 including paint, disposables, machinework, fasteners etc. Be smart with money. Only buy what is needed. I usually use original tires if in good shape or buy for example, ag tires by firestone, goodyear or carlisle to replace the cracked and leaky old tires. Tires should be for a GARDEN TRACTOR! No wheelbarrow tires or trailer tires. I love the old tires so I try to save them to keep originality.

cruisnblue48

I am fairly new to the WH collector hobby having acquired five round hoods in the past two years. From what I understand, tractors from the factory didn't necessarily have perfect paint jobs to begin with. Parts were mixed and match thus factory built tractors may not have looked like the sales photos. I am restoring my dad's original 552 and I am by no means doing a "professional" restoration job. I do what I can, with what I have, when I can. If my tractor looks good to me, that's all that really matters anyway.

• Like 5

castoff

Most of the answers have been interesting so far. They display varying points of view behind the ownership of older GT's and that is fair comment. Some of you are interested in bringing these tractors back to life in order to either put them back to work cutting grass or moving snow around. Your tractor - your choice. Others are probably interested in taking in ploughing matches to show just how proficient a Wheel Horse is. Again... your tractor. But isn't it also fair to say that there are people who wish to preserve these tractors as a piece of history so that new generations don't conclude that GT's always looked like a jelly bean made from plastic? And when these tractors are displayed at shows, do they not bring memories back to those who grew up having to mow the family lawn with one? In other words, there must be room for the collector/restorer in this hobby who has these motives and his "fun" comes from finding the next one, doing an accurate restoration and then sharing the outcome with others.

Without question, those of you that get your joy sitting in the seat and feeling the vibration of the engine are certainly entitled to the fruits of your labour. But my questions were directed at the segment that understands the joy that comes from doing what is necessary to undo the ravages of time, neglect and abuse in order to present the tractor as it was when it sat in the showroom of the dealer. I find nothing wrong with the tractor buckrancher included in his reply. That is one man's interpretation. The workmanship is admirable as well as interesting. One could call that a "resto-mod" but they could not call it a "restored" tractor.

I would also say that a tractor with a shiny paint job but worn out mechanicals cannot be called "restored" in the true sense of the word. So, if you consider yourself to be a restorer/collector, then what is it that you strive for? Do you have a standard of workmanship or does anything go just as long as you end up with shiny paint?

rmaynard

My opinion is "what ever makes you happy". There are no Wheel Horse police out there to ticket you for doing something "wrong"

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 6

953 nut

I have been a Street Rodder since the 60's, seen a lot of change in the hobby in that time but the one constant that has kept me coming back is the great people you get to know! I have Wheel Horses that are restored, some original survivor types and one Kustom with flames, chrome Harley muffeler and flipper hubcaps. No mater which I bring to the show I meet some nice people, thats where I am on this subject.

Don1977

Most anything is alright as long as you don't paint it Green & Yellow.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

As I see this hobby, most of us fix these tractors up to our liking, no one else's!

We fix them to show, we fix them to work, and some are fixed up for both.

I love going to shows, and I love to see the nice fresh paint jobs, BUT, I also like to see tractors that are in good condition (paint wise) and are workers.

I feel my GT's will never be the best show quality, but if & when I take them to a show, everyone will know it is a working GT!

• Like 2

"D"- Man

I sort of think that anyone that has an affection for Wheel Horse tractors would be delighted to see one just as it sat in the dealers showroom. To try and replicate that, from what is available today... well let's just say the only difference between being able to do that, and doing thee impossible is, thee impossible is just a little bit harder! I as well think that anyone who would like to try to restore a tractor (or any Wheel Horse) to as near "Showroom" as they are able should pursue such an ambition. I also think trying to obtain a nth degree could prove to be quite controversial, as it seems the correct position of a fastener (a hairpin clip for example) on one tractor may have been put on the opposite direction 50 units down the assembly line. What could possibly be an absolute? I think everyone that owns a Wheel Horse has a right to do whatever they decide to do to it ( stopping short, as previously mentioned, of painting it green and yellow). I also think making a tractor look better than factory or "Showroom" is somewhat of a delight to behold as well. Mark.

• Like 2

Kelly

They are garden tractors, not high dollar cars or trucks, they should be built to your ability and be happy with that, I'm a Body man, I can build the heck out of one of these tractors, but I also have a round hood I spray bombed, I took it all apart but still used a rattle can, My Daughters tractor is a candy red, with $600 worth of paint, primer and supplies, it also has 90% of the fasteners on it changed to stainless, I like it, she loves it because it's different no one else has one like it, it's not a belly button tractor you know everyone has one, to put one back to new condition would be hard because they didn't do a very good job when new, parts where assembled then painted undersides and insides did not get much if any paint on them, on some models, why take the fun out of the hobby from the guy that can't paint like a pro, or don't have tons of money to throw at them, I run a WH show in MI. I tell everyone to bring anything workers, resto jobs, clean orig. even beaters, if you want to bring it to the show it will be welcome, the only real pet peeve I have is if you did not take it apart and you rattle canned it, please don't call it a restoration, call it what it is, a clean up and repaint, there are different levels of a restore, but just throwing paint at a tractor is not one.

• Like 5

Wishin4a416

I am doing one right now and I will not follow any strict guidelines. I have nothing against anyone who does however. To each his own.

I just want it to be clean and look good to me. I did a 67 Chevelle 20 years ago and did it the same way, to suit me. I cloned an L-79 version that I had when I was young.

Again I say, I have nothing against the purist who wants to do it the way it came off the assembly line. In fact it is good that some choose that direction for the reasons you gave. Its just not the way I want to go.

• Like 2

JackC

I don't buy a restored tractor unless the seller is giving it away or wants it placed in a good home. I buy the best originals I can find as well as afford. One of my prizes is a 1983 C-175 Twin Automatic with only 285 hours on it. I have replaced the high back logo seat with a flawless high back logo seat, the plastic fender with a better plastic fender and one belt guard with a better belt guard but all parts are originals and no repaints. I did replace the drive belt and idler pulley assembly since those are common issues with that model.

As far as restoration goes it is whatever the restorer chooses including custom or original. They all look good. I don't have the time, tools or skills and that is why I buy replacement original new or used parts when I can find them. I try to get all the mechanical functions in order first which is what I enjoy most and then worry about appearance. Some of the older models look great with their well earned war wounds and weathered finishes from years of hard work, especially when they still run better than the ones at Home Depot that are made from recycled beer can and plastic soda bottles.

• Like 3

roscoemi

I think I know what's on your mind on this issue. Some people take more time and research as they rebuild their tractor than others do to make them as original as possible. But there are few "chalkmark guys" in the wheelhorse world. Some paint, others powdercoat, some stainless fasteners, some zinc. But it seems nobody gets anal about a tractor unless it's really rare, then they typically leave it alone or fix what is nessassary. The attitude is different, this is supposed to be a fun hobby and not become a job with ISO standards applied. If WH tractors were judged by some absolute set of "factory" standards dictated by "experts" , then me and my tractors would not apply.

• Like 4

MalMac

To me there is no right or wrong way of a restore. Like said before it's a hobby and it's up to the individual. Now with that said if a person wanted to get everything right down to factory perfect, they are going to have a hard time with a Wheel Horse because the factory used what was ever on the shelf at the time. Wheel Horse was famous for odd ball tractors at the beginning of a run and at the end of a run. I have seen them come from the factory with two different brand of tires on the same tractor. So to try and get a on the spot, dead on factory perfect is just about impossible with a Wheel Horse.

• Like 1

kpinnc

As has already been said, part of the fun of this hobby is in the work of "restoring" the tractor. As has also been said, "restore" seems to have many different meanings where GTs are concerned.

I make some modification to each and every tractor I work on. This is partly due to a lack of OEM parts here, as well as a tendency to think I can somehow make an occasional tiny improvement to MY tractors for MY use. Some of my machines are what I consider highly modified, but I try to make the work look at least "correct" for the style and use of the machine at the time. In my opinion at least, until some type of cash awards start poppoing up for shows (which I hope NEVER happens to our hobby), then my restores will be to MY personal satisfaction first and foremost. If someone else likes it, great! If not, that's OK by me too. That's not to say I haven't asked others for their opinions, it just means in the end that I have to be happy with the outcome of my work. If there are any "Wheel Horse Police", they can go fly a kite.

As a side note: I've seen many restorations at the PA show, and many of them by far exceed the quality of work the factory produced. Better paint, better attention to detail, and far better hardware and components than any that EVER rolled off the assembly line. Personally, I think it's a testament not only to the skills of some of the collectors, but the love for these little tractors as well. I think such things as this are far more important than someone elses idea of a "perfect restoration".

In short, my opinion of a benchmark restoration is the one that makes YOU the happiest. Paint it whatever color you want, make any changes you want. In the end, YOU have to look at it in your shop and get a case of perma-grin. What others think can be icing on the cake, but if you don't absolutely love it- what's the point of doing the work?

• Like 6

Ken B

Wouldn't it be nice to see an NOS RJ right out of the box without a single scratch on it? I'm afraid that every single supposedly correctly restored RJ out there would certainly be "over restored" if such a thing as an NOS RJ existed to compare all the rest to. I'd be willing to bet the farm that the paint jobs out of the factory looked like crap compared to what we see now at the shows that are supposed to be "restored correctly" (or even just an average paint job by today's standards.) Who is going to want to do a sub par paint job to try to copy how it was done back in the day? I can hear the comments from onlookers already, "man whoever restored this could have done a much better job on the paint job! That is what is great about Wheel Horse's and the guys and gals who own them. We don't get our undies all tied up in a knot if something isn't just so. Ask a Wheel Horse guy what color red is the correct color and more than likely he is going to tell you to paint it red and it'll be close enough.

As far as points judging goes, no thanks. A guy can do a real nice job making everything on his tractor original and as close to the way it came out the factory's doors as humanly possible, rebuilding all components himself along the way, BUT, if he paints the tractor himself and he lacks the skills to do a killer job on the paint he'd fail miserably if there was a points system at our shows. And that would suck in my opinion. Fact is, most cars that are judged at car shows were painted at a body shop and the owners probably took out a second mortgage to get the work done.

• Like 4