Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Snowblowing driveway...funny story but need advice!

refracman

Holy guno Batman :eek: ! I'd be using 2 link with ice grippers with a bunch of weight and a eject button!

It a short ride to the bottom but with a little ice I bet its qwik!

roscoemi

Kinda steep in the snow, but weight in the rims/tires and some 2 link chains should do the trick.

Sparky

Looks pretty steep to me....and its straight shot into the road :eek: !

Mike..........

varosd

you could position those 50 gallon drums at the bottom and wrap them with a couple old mattresses for the landing!

squonk

Remote control winch. Winch it down, winch it up! :eusa-whistle:

• Like 3

Kevbo

Haha you guys are funny :grin: I'll have to have a spotter at the bottom of the road! I feel like I should get this on video next time try...with added weight and chains! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Now that's an idea... :handgestures-thumbupright:

whc160

I loaded a set of 23x8.50x12 with rim guard. The tire, wheel, and rim guard weighted 83 lbs a piece. Did a set of 10.50's & they weighted 103 lbs. I like it for it weight per gallon & you can do it tube less. Here is a link. http://www.rimguard.biz/ Also I like to only add weigth to the wheels as not to put the stress on the bearings in the trans.

• Like 3

Kevbo

I loaded a set of 23x8.50x12 with rim guard. The tire, wheel, and rim guard weighted 83 lbs a piece. Did a set of 10.50's & they weighted 103 lbs. I like it for it weight per gallon & you can do it tube less. Here is a link. http://www.rimguard.biz/ Also I like to only add weigth to the wheels as not to put the stress on the bearings in the trans.

I like this idea a lot...where did you get your rimguard? It says only authorized dealers sell it...do you know if they take online orders?

whc160

I contacted rim guard by phone. They then found the closest dealer to me. Ended up only being about 12 miles away.

Kevbo

I contacted rim guard by phone. They then found the closest dealer to me. Ended up only being about 12 miles away.

Nice! I'll have to do the same! Is it expensive?

whc160

Nice! I'll have to do the same! Is it expensive?

I just saw the invoice in the past month. Not sure if I threw it away, but will see if I can find it. But from what I remember it was not to bad. I did pump it in my self, so that saved me a little. Lucky for me I know someone that has their own pump.

GlenPettit

RimGuard [(made from sugarbeet molasis), safe for the enviroment, google it], weights about 11#/gal, each 12" tire holds about 5.5 gal, and it's filled to 80% full, then air at 20# for the top 20%. My cost for RimGuard at the Truck/Tractor Tire Store was $70 per tire, total, including the tubes and filling (2005). Wheel weights, iron ones, are very expensive; used go for about $50 each, but then basically any tractor brand of 12" weights will work. You might also add some weight to the front wheels too, maybe 10-15# to help with steering. You could add up to 150# per wheel, with your steep drive, just 50# per wheel may not be enough.

A suggestion; next time you seal your steep drive with blacktop topping, have someone throw some silica sand over the wet sealer as it's spread, that sand will really help with traction, would probably take 4-5 bags, and will increase the life of the sealer.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I have ZERO experience running a snow blower, but I was thinking along the same line as Mike. Maybe you should mount a winch onto one of the recievers you are thinking of buying and connect the other end to something centered up on the garage. Then just ease down the driveway and back up in reverse using the winch when necessary. Then you would have a winch to use the rest of the year for other things like winching a newly purchased non-running Wheel Horse onto your trailer.

Sorry if this was a bad idea, but we never have enough snow here to justify buying a snow blower. I basically have no idea what you guys are up against during the Winter there where you live.

• Like 1

Kevbo

RimGuard [(made from sugarbeet molasis), safe for the enviroment, google it], weights about 11#/gal, each 12" tire holds about 5.5 gal, and it's filled to 80% full, then air at 20# for the top 20%. My cost for RimGuard at the Truck/Tractor Tire Store was $70 per tire, total, including the tubes (2005). Wheel weights, iron ones, are very expensive; used go for about $50 each, but then basically any tractor brand of 12" weights will work. You might also add some weight to the front wheels too, maybe 10-15# to help with steering. You could add up to 150# per wheel, with your steep drive, just 50# per wheel may not be enough.

A suggestion; next time you seal your steep drive with blacktop topping, have someone throw some silica sand over the wet sealer as it's spread, that sand will really help with traction, would probably take 4-5 bags, and will increase the life of the sealer.

Very interesting! Thank you!

dbartlett1958

Kevbo,

I think you really need to measure the slope of your driveway to see if you are beyond the safe limits of your tractor. These tractors have limited braking ability and need to be used accordingly. I know the manuals for my 416 are pretty specific about the angles you can safely use them on, and I have had occasion to witness what can happen if you push the limits.

Also, the manuals list weight limits for hauling carts/trailers with the tractors. I realize you are not pulling a loaded trailer down your driveway, but once you add weight to your hitch/wheels/etc, you are overloading things as if you were pulling a trailer. Weight is great for traction when going straight and level, but when you start adding angles, things can get out of hand very quickly.

Just some things to think about.

We all like to use our tractors for work and play, but it is not worth it if someone gets hurt.

I bet it was funny to watch though!

Forest Road

That's some driveway! In regular snow even with loaded tires and wheel weights I think you're still pushing your luck. You probably need another 200 lbs hanging off the rear end. Whether its with cast iron weights, a cement box, etc you re going to need it. I'd also get the v-bar pattern two link tire chains, careful you don't carve up your driveway.

http://www.tirechain.com/V-BAR.HTM

Now if theres a layer of ice under the snow get a remote control for your tractor. Good luck!

Kevbo

So weight...weight...and more weight + chains and for safety reasons I would like construct a winch in my garage...just need to find something I can attach it to!

Kevbo

Ok so I just was brainstorming and I thought up of this for a safety winch. I'll attach a HUGE eye hook deep into one of the main beams of my garage and attach this to it: http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-lb-capacity-cable-winch-puller-30329.html then attach one of these to the tractor http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Grade-1DLJ4-Cable-Towing/dp/B001GBMMI0/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1357098596&sr=1-4&keywords=towing+cable.

Now how would I safely have the winch hold me back if I began to slide down my driveway... :eusa-think:

Forest Road

Ok so I just was brainstorming and I thought up of this for a safety winch. I'll attach a HUGE eye hook deep into one of the main beams of my garage and attach this to it: http://www.harborfre...ller-30329.html then attach one of these to the tractor http://www.amazon.co...ds=towing cable.

Now how would I safely have the winch hold me back if I began to slide down my driveway...

Have you ever heard someone on TV say don't try this at home? Well this is one of those moments when you should be hearing it in your head. Be safe!

JackC

Why risk losing a horse and rider or chewing up your driveway with v bar chains?

I would pay someone to plow it with a 4 wheel drive truck and plow or use a walk behind two stage blower.

A 4 wheel drive Kubota might also work.

How was it cleared in the past?

Kevbo

The driveway was cleared with a walk behind which I still have...you guys are right it's just I would love to use the Wheel Horse...

ericj

the first pass down the drive would be the worst and scariest, then i would blow up hill although then you have to worry about skidding backwards down the hill. if the hill gets icy i would stay off the hill

eric

whc160

Sorry Kevbo put I could not find my invoice for the rim guard. I think it was between $2 & $3 a gallon.

Kevbo

Sorry Kevbo put I could not find my invoice for the rim guard. I think it was between $2 & $3 a gallon.

No prob bud thanks for looking! I defiently considering rim guard. Hey I might be looking at a C-160 soon with wheel weights and a plow attachment...I see you are a fan :handgestures-thumbupright:

whc160

No prob bud thanks for looking! I defiently considering rim guard. Hey I might be looking at a C-160 soon with wheel weights and a plow attachment...I see you are a fan :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yes I like my C-160's. Grew up on my dad's that he bought new & he still has it. They are a tough worker tractor and who doesn't like a K341 THUMBER under the hood.

• Like 1