Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Snowblowing driveway...funny story but need advice!

Kevbo

So I have to tell you a guys a little story on my first snowblowing experience with my 414-8 and my recently restored snowblower. Snowblower worked great...tractor worked great...but my traction on my driveway caused me to slide out of control the whole way down!! :scared-eek: I know I should of expected the tractor to lose traction as my driveway is super steep...but one must always learn from their mistakes! As I began snowblowing everything was going great until about halfway down my driveway...I felt the whole tractor give way and I literally FLEW down the driveway :eusa-doh: ...Thankfully I did not break anything and I slide straight down until I entered the street in which I then slid sideways into a stop. I just sat shocked for about 30 seconds :sad: and then reduced the Kohler's throttle and prayed I didn't bend anything from the snowblower I just worked so hard to restore and the 414-8 that I just bought in November. All was well but going back UP my driveway took about an hour...My father-in-law was kind enough to buy me some tire chains off ebay, and once I threw those on we began to slowly creep up the driveway until the weight of the front snowblower pushed me back down! :banghead: So we tried again. Up the driveway and this time I dropped the blower using my electric lift right when I hit the blacktop...this worked until my right rear tire chain blew off and I began to slowly slide back down the driveway...again! :ranting: After retightening the tire chains, my father-in-law got behind and as I started to slip half way up the driveway, he pushed from behind. We finally got the whole thing up into my garage with no damage thankfully! :smile: However, as I took a deep breath and cleaned some of the snow off the blower I realized that I really need to get some weight on the rear to effectively get up and down my driveway. :scratchead:

So here are a couple questions for everyone :eusa-think:

1) Does anyone have wheel weights they are interesting in selling or know where I can get some? I live in Reading, PA.

2) I have seen some guys on the forum here who literally added lifting weights on the rear of their tractor. Anyone know how to rig that?

3) If I would add fluid to my rear tires...how much, what kind, and is it safe for the tractor?

Guys, I feel like I am going to need a TON of weight to be able to snowblow without slipping so any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!! I hope everyone is having a great new years day! :dance:

I'll get some pictures of my driveway to give you an idea of what I am dealing with as soon as possible...

:thanks:

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Your toro dealer should have weights but boy are they xpensive anymore. 170 for rear and 160 for front. They can be found for around 50-100 used for rears.

Sears sells them for 12 inch wheels.

Stay Safe.

JackC

There are receivers that mount to the axle on the back of the tractor that take a Class 2 hitch that you could add a large bolt and nut to and then pile on the round weights onto. I have one on my C-81 in the background.

Chains should help but maybe a walk behind blower would be safer if the driveway is that steep.

V-bar chains really grip but can ruin blacktop.

roscoemi

I would add rv anti freeze to all the tires. The rears will probably take 8-10 gals each at about 10lbs a gallon. You can get the valve needed at TSC and a drill driven pump at Menards or Home Depot for about $6. Menards has anti freeze for $2.50 a gal here. Loaded P'Cops Ranger and it made a huge difference at 50lbs a tire. Adding wheel weights to the mix will just make things better. :thumbs:

Kevbo

Thanks for the options guys! I am interested in both methods...for the Class 2 hitch, where can I get a receiver to mount to the axle and how exactly does it mount?

Tim

i think scott moreau was making them

HorseFixer

Kevbo Scotty does make them and they work very well. :handgestures-thumbupright: I have one on my 417A :)

can whlvr

if your drive is that steep be very cautious,more weight will be harder to stop,and once it gets out of control you will never stop it,weight will help for going up hill,not sure if its gonna help going down,it sounds like you need to keep the sand salt mixture to her heavy so theres something to bite into,good luck

Kevbo

So...who's Scotty and how do I buy one from him? :text-thankyouyellow:

if your drive is that steep be very cautious,more weight will be harder to stop,and once it gets out of control you will never stop it,weight will help for going up hill,not sure if its gonna help going down,it sounds like you need to keep the sand salt mixture to her heavy so theres something to bite into,good luck

Good point...downhill might be a major problem...

sorekiwi

I have 7 gallons of windshield washer fluid in each of my rear tyres. That plus 2 link chains has been all I've needed on my plow tractor the last few years.

Here is a link to the setup I had on my blower tractor last year:

Gym weights on the back, 30 lb Sears (plastic) weights on each rear wheel. and 4 link chains.

I dont have to deal with a steep driveway though.

jusjeepn

Just eat a bunch more Christmas cookies and you can put on all the weight you want!!!

Kevbo

Just eat a bunch more Christmas cookies and you can put on all the weight you want!!!

Haha thats what I told my wife! :grin:

squonk

I filled my rears with RV antifreeze from TSC for $3.00 gal, 5 gal per tire. Bought the tire fill valve at Napa for $14.00. Borrowed a fluid transfer pump from work. Poured it into a 5 gal bucket and kept adding to bucket until done. Took 20 min.

rexman72

A weight boxwould also work well with the snowblower

Bow_Extreme

I know, smart reply but how about custom made tracks......lol. Front Wheel Assist? Dream applications I know but very possible.

In the meantime I would plant some 55 gallon drums along the driveway and fill them with a sand maybe salt mix to spread.

JackC

Show us the driveway.

tunahead72

So...who's Scotty and how do I buy one from him? :text-thankyouyellow:

Member smoreau, send him a PM. Or do a search on "hitch" with him as the author, you'll see lots of good pics of what he makes.

KC9KAS

I enjoyed reading about your excitement!

I am glad you and your horse are both un-hurt.

I'm sure it just about scared the crap out of you, but it sure would have been great on video.

ray

. On a very steep slope, there isn't too much that you can do.I've seen some people make an attachment to the tractor's rear hitch and mount cinder blocks. This has got to be cheaper than wheel weights

Ken B

Show us the driveway.

I was thinking the same thing! Good thing a plow truck didn't come by as you were sliding into the road. A lot more than the blower would have been trashed!

Sparky

Maybe the bicycle chain around the front tire trick would be a good idea....at least you might be able to steer it as you slide down the driveway.

Mike..........

roscoemi

Front disc brakes with anti-lock and tire chains? :eusa-think:

refracman

Dang that must of been a heck of a ride!

I use this method when setting up my loaded tires.

Install tube/ chains/load solution/ inflate to 8-10 psi. When installing chains get them as tight as you can on the deflated tires then zip tie the chain clamps.

I have had them loosen up after a few years but never come off..

otrelwood

you are best to add the weight to the wheels as the added weight get hard on the outer axle bearings when its hanging on the back of the tractor

Kevbo

Thanks everyone for all of your recommendations! When I got home from my in-laws tonight I used my 312-8 to take out the trash as we had a decent amount from the holidays. I just hook up the garden cart and fill it up with a couple loads as I drive it down to the curb. Some would say I'm just interested in some seat time haha anywho here are some pictures is my infamous driveway! The more I look at it...I don't think it's too steep...do you think added weight will do it?

54F34DD3-1158-4CC9-8833-AC7F35354592-2823-000003DF1BF5FB9F.jpg

74A60448-EDDD-4C41-8023-238BF8743DB3-2823-000003DF0207C6DC.jpg

F2893BCD-2F69-47BE-A676-E3CEEDFEB4D2-2823-000003DF066F6C8F.jpg

D0A5ACA8-8E59-4DE7-83B2-376850F5A391-2823-000003DF0B1FDC9C.jpg

3AAFFE99-0B17-4779-B775-510CE825F73F-2823-000003DF0F4C1196.jpg

99B17637-98F1-4A8B-8FA4-8A0AD0E47C69-2823-000003DF138BA1C2.jpg

65E5CEB8-7B7A-4A92-81DD-D70F5D3DFA7F-2823-000003DF17827BD9.jpg