Sign in to follow this  
stephan07

hydro lift issues

stephan07

so i have been away a while tinkering on my horse but i am stuck. the tractor in question is my 68 charger. got a running engine on it drove it around a bit the trans seems strong. but i put my snow plow on and go to test the lift and it wont go up. go down on the valve and it moves slightly (the lift is all the way down). i am just wondering what might be going on any tests or any thing the lift hasn't been used in a while

stephan07

has any one ever disassembled one of these control valves is there much to it? because i get good pressure in one of the lines when i push the valve in but i do not get pressure in my other line when pulling the valve out (the up position)

Trouty56

Possibly switch the lines to see if the lift raises and holds. There is a manual for the lift valves but maybe not the old ones....

stephan07

my valve isn't like the one in the download, but i will try to switch the lines and see if that works

Trouty56

Maybe gravity will lower the lift for you till you can get a used one...that is if switching the lines will get you lift.

Kevbo

I have a hydraulic lift as well and always wondered on the longevity and the ability to be repaired if needed...stephan if you can post any pictures or guidelines on your progress and hopefully you will get some more advice as we go along here :handgestures-thumbupright:

stephan07

ok i need a little help now pulled apart the control valve its pretty simple. after a little clean up i don't see much that could cause my issues. i do how ever need to find some new orings for it they are old and cracked. any one that could point me in the right direction here would be much appreciated. i am working on putting together photos and such to create a guide for any one else that has the problems. once my tool box comes home on sat i will be able to make faster progress.

Trouty56

Maybe.... http://www.mcmaster....c-seals/=kvprvn

Maybe not...

Or..... http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=kvpslq

A hydraulic repair shop should be able to help you.....

Edited by Trouty56

B-8074

I'm not sure if this is the set up you have, but here is two pics of mine.

post-2569-0-23700900-1357310008_thumb.jp

post-2569-0-47916700-1357310020_thumb.jp

stephan07

the hydraulic rams on these older ones are not rebuild able right? if so are the newer ones the close enough to put one on the tractor? mine appears to leak haven't got the control rebuilt to test yet

Kelly

you said you didn't see any problems that could cause the issue, but the bad O rings are the issue, they are letting oil pass them so the lift will not work properly, some of the old lift cyl. are rebuildable you have to look at the end the rod comes out of, see if there is a large snap ring holding the end cap in, if so you can rebuild it, some newer cyl. will fit, others you have to watch where the lines go in to the cyl. they are not in the same position, looking from the end, see where the foot rest bar goes through, some the lines are straight up others are off to one side, and may interfere with them fitting.

stephan07

no snap ring on the cylinder

B-8074

The older lift cylinders didn't have a snap ring. They used a retaining ring. It's hard to see it unless you take the cylinder off. Then you have to push down on the end of the cylinder to reveal the retaining ring. It looks like heavy round wire.

stephan07

for any one who has never had one of these valves apart they are really simple.

100_1315_zps6c2e5684.jpg

100_1317_zps33381872.jpg

100_1316_zps83eec562.jpg

stephan07

so i have some seals but i forgot which way they went in. does the grooved side of the seal go towards or a way from the fluid

jeremi3210

The grooved side goes towards the fluid. Where did you get the seals from? Iam in need of some.

stephan07

3210 i sent you a pm. but the good news is after cleaning out the valve replacing the seals and putting it all back together again it works. it lifts and lowers with the solid lift link that was on this tractor it will pick the front tires up off the ground. thanks for all the help guys she is up and running. now i just need some snow to put it to work.

• Like 1

jeremi3210

Good glad to hear all is well.