Sign in to follow this  
JC 1965

Tire Size Question

JC 1965

I need new tires on my C- 121 with 48" snow blade. I would like for the tractor to set a little higher so i can have more ground clearance. I thought about putting 18 x 6.50 x 8 tires on the front. I have 16 x 6.50 x 8 on it now. Will these tires give me 2 inches more height ? Will my blade swing both directions without hitting the tires ? Has anyone tried this ? :dunno: Also I would like to put larger tires on the rear, not interested so much in width as height. How high can i go without hitting the fender pan. I want to use the same wheels. The tractor is a 1979 with the gas tank under the seat. Any help appreciated. :hide: Thanks !!

Sparky

Going from 16" front tires to 18" fronts will only lift the front up 1" not 2 inches. Not sure about clearance issues but if you were to crank the steering wheel all the way to the left and right with the snowblade angled towards the left you can measure the current clearance and then you'll know if 1 inch is going to impact.

You could also get a set of front spindles off a 300 series machine that came stock with the 6" front rims. Those spindles were longer to make up for the tire/rim being smaller and would increase your front ground clearance and still keep the stock 16x6.50x8's.

Mike........

SousaKerry

I have seen many especially pullers run with 26" tires on the rear instead of the 23". But there ain't much clearance under there, you can of coarse put spacers under the fender pan to raise it up a bit and use longer bolts. Be careful with this as you are modifying the seat mounts also and the last thing you want is to have a loose seat especially when you "accidentally" pop the clutch... :eusa-whistle: :confusion-seeingstars:

JC 1965

You could also get a set of front spindles off a 300 series machine that came stock with the 6" front rims. Those spindles were longer to make up for the tire/rim being smaller and would increase your front ground clearance and still keep the stock 16x6.50x8's.

Mike........

Thanks Mike, I didn't think about the 300 series spindles being longer but that makes sense. That's probably what i will do. :thumbs2:

JC 1965

I have seen many especially pullers run with 26" tires on the rear instead of the 23". But there ain't much clearance under there, you can of coarse put spacers under the fender pan to raise it up a bit and use longer bolts. Be careful with this as you are modifying the seat mounts also and the last thing you want is to have a loose seat especially when you "accidentally" pop the clutch... :eusa-whistle::confusion-seeingstars:

Good to know thanks !! Just wonder how raising the fender pan would effect the gas cap, my gas cap has the gauge built in and it already rubs the side of the cut out for the gas cap. :dunno:

Kelly

I put aset of 26x12x12 ags on my 520, I had to raise the fender 3/4" my gas cap is a tight fit, I trimmed the edges of the cap a bit to make it fit better, but you will need 10" wide rims to make the tires set flat, if you go narrower the tire will bow up in the middle and be even taller, I made the rims for my tractor putting the centers in where I wanted them, tall spindles will raise the front about 1.5" I should have a couple sets of the tall spindles if you go that way.

JackC

These are 25 X 8 X 12 ATV tires on a 1991 416H. OK without chains but very tight clearance with chains. I cannot report on how well the ATV tires work since I have not used the tractor since purchasing. It was one of those deals I could not pass up.

• Like 1

JC 1965

Thanks Kelly, I Really wanted to stay with the same wheels and use 26 x 9.50 x 12 ags but i can't find any ags that size, all i can find in that size is ATV tires. I don't know how the ATV tires would look or work in snow. Do you know if they make that size tire in ags ? PM me on the price for a set of long spindles. :thumbs2:

JC 1965

These are 25 X 8 X 12 ATV tires on a 1991 416H. OK without chains but very tight clearance with chains. I cannot report on how well the ATV tires work since I have not used the tractor since purchasing. It was one of those deals I could not pass up.

Thanks for the pic, Has the fender pan been raised ?

Sparky

Thanks for the pic, Has the fender pan been raised ?

Jack's rear fender is at stock height.

Mike........

JackC

jc1965, I haven't actually checked to see if the fender was raised but I do not think so.

If I keep the tires and put the chains back on I will raise the fender.

I took the chains off because I did not like the tight clearance.

The PO said he did not have any problems running with chains on.

Kelly

Here is my 520 with the 26x12x12 on 10" rims, with the fender raisied 3/4"

100_2916.jpg

• Like 4

JC 1965

Kelly PM sent !!

JC 1965

100_2916.jpg

Kelly it looks great !! Are those Tri Ribs 16x6.50x 8 on the front ?

B-8074

100_2916.jpg

Kelly, do you have a side by side photo of two tractors showing the difference in size?

Kelly

Yes the front tires are the Firestone 16x6.50x8 tri ribs, I don't have a side by side pic but I might be able to in a bit.

brandonozz

The 26" tires look great but can you tell a noticable difference with regards to traction. Either when pushing a blade in the snow or more importantly pulling a turn plow or disc in the dirt? I'm curious if the larger tires / foot print would help a bit preventing wheel spin. Anyone have any experience?

Kelly

I didn't have a tractor with 23x8.5x12 tires handy but this is 2 520's one with 26x12x12 Tru Powers and one with 23x10.5x12 with chains, these are the square corner Carlisle turf savers, and as I said the one with 26's on it I raised the fender 3/4"

The big tires dig good unless on hard packed snow or ice. most hard packed snow it will dig through it, but I have 200lbs of weight hanging off the back.

post-85-0-80459800-1357079988_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Bow_Extreme

Kelly, why is a. C-195 sitting outside?...Sorry couldn't help myself.

Kelly

I have about 30 of the nicer tractors in the barn, that C-195 is a beater, that is holding my loader till the Diesel 195 is done, then that 195 is going to be for sale, runs great but uses oil, I have a good engine from the diesel project I could put in it, but why just keep the oil full.

B-8074

Those look real nice. I have 23x8.50-12's on my 175. They just look so small on there and I would like to bigger.