Sign in to follow this  
steve k

are 3 rib tires good in snow?

steve k

Plowing recently with my 68 electro 12 and the original front tires are worthless in the snow... Does anyone have experience with the 3 rib "tractor" style front tires in the snow? Do they turn better?

Steve

• Like 1

Sparky

I've never used them but the guys on here that have 'em all rave about how well they work.

Mike..........

• Like 1

wallfish

Poor man's tri-rib. $20 worth of #40 roller chain and you won't have any problems with the front tires drifting. Deflate the tires and remove them in the spring.

MVC-009F-1.jpg

• Like 4

leeave96

Poor man's tri-rib. $20 worth of #40 roller chain and you won't have any problems with the front tires drifting. Deflate the tires and remove them in the spring.

MVC-009F-1.jpg

Very good idea!

I have an IHCC and it has smooth front tires and is a pain to steer in slickery conditions.

• Like 1

Coadster32

Tri-ribs work really good in the snow in comparison to other treads. I haven't tried the roller chain, but hear it is superior. (If you have turfs already, it might be a cheaper solution as well).

Don't forget about how extra weight on the front works as well. Even with Tri-ribs, I was sliding around a bit under a full blade load, untill I got weight on the front end. Problem solved.

Edited by Coadster32
  • Like 1

sorekiwi

I've never tried the roller chain thing, all I've ever used was turf tyres or tri-ribs on the front. Tri-ribs definately a lot better than turfs.

IMG_3966_zpsaab49dcd.jpg

• Like 1

JimmyJam

Newbie here! While plowing with front 5-ribbed tires, it was sliding when blade was angled. My question is: is a roller chain similar to a bicycle chain? Do you guys make them? If so, do you just measure and use a master-link?

wallfish

#40 is motorcycle chain. You can buy a 10 ft length and it comes with 1 master link so pick up a second link. Get it tight around a defated tire, mark it and cut to length then put it together and air up the tire. Smaller bicycle chain will roll over on the tire.

You can pick it up at a TSC store

http://www.tractorsupply.com/roller-chain-size-40-1150044

or online

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-1163-40&catname=powerTrans

can whlvr

yes its similar to bike chain,but heavier,i replace my snow thrower chain and use the old chain,and yes you use a master link,i have used the roller for years and it is very good,it really excells on ice,which we get alot here when it warms above zero,

JimmyJam

Thanks guys...extremely helpful!

Buckshot 1

:) Had all kinds of sliding with the turf tires. Change to tri-ribs sliding gone. Its amazing what reducing the foot print will do. It was like I added power steering after I put the tri-ribs on. :text-happynewyear: to you and yours everyone. :flags-usa:

steve k

Thanks for the opinions and the chain idea. I think I will make a trip to tsc today. The tractor has been kept inside its whole life and the tires are still good with very little cracking. i hate to replace them. But new tires would be nice.....

Steve

Edited by steve k

Kelly

I've been meaning for a couple years to try the roller chain, I think I have enough here from blowers to do it, I just this week got the blower rear chains and all 4 wheel weights on, just need to install the cab, and may try the rollers, oh and on my plow tractor I have tri ribs I like them, not only do they have a sharp edge to help turn, the put all the weight of the tractor on one small spot, so it in a way has more down pressure per square inch., instead of like a wide tire that will act like a float on top of snow.

• Like 1

JC 1965

Does the roller chain leave skid marks ? I have a new concrete driveway. :dunno:

Kelly

I would not use roller chain on nice cement, I'm sure it will leave marks.

MalMac

My neighbor used chains on his, said it work great. Then he found out it tore the living #$&*% out of it. Left marks everywhere some deep where he had turned sharp. Left little chips out of the concrete everywhere.

• Like 1

welderman85

i have a dumb question to add to the mix. i have herd tri ribs are great in snow but what about different brands. the firestone ones like duke has look like they would turn great but what about a thinner set like only 4" wide. sorry for the stupid question

glgrumpy

I have 4 x 12's on front of most of my Powerkings and they do fine when plowing. Little tri-ribs for like 4 or 6" wheels don't seem to be much use, cept to look neat!

steve k

I was driving my commando 8 today in the snow with 3.5" tri ribs I got on line they seem to work good welderman, but I don't plow with that tractor!

Kelly

If your going with the smaller 4" tri ribs I HIGHLY recommend the Deestone brand they are a nice tire, many cheaper ones the center rib is the same height as the outer ones.

Martin

yes those deestones are a nice tire for not much dollars......

one day though, i really would like to try a set of those firestones......

oh and mike, whats that tyres stuff?,

you must be from the deep south with spelling like that!!!!!

:ROTF:

better watch that, next thing you will be putting extra letters in words like color and favorite and who knows where it will end..............

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

sorekiwi

oh and mike, whats that tyres stuff?,

you must be from the deep south with spelling like that!!!!!

:ROTF:

better watch that, next thing you will be putting extra letters in words like color and favorite and who knows where it will end..............

Oops, busted!

My spelling is absolutely atrocious now, some words spelt American, some in the Queens English and a lot in some sort of bastard mixture of the two. I become really aware of it now I have to help my second grade daughter with her homework.

How come you are the only one who noticed??

• Like 1

Martin

i bet some of those english fellows noticed, i see them spelling things the right way all the time....... :hide:

oooh, let the flaming begin........

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

roscoemi

:ROTF: :ROTF:

fourwheels0

where does everybody get the 3 rib tires from?.

i can't find any local to me. then again i'm in Virginia.........don't ask.