Sign in to follow this  
chevyaddict83

416-8 dash lights wont shut off?

chevyaddict83

1989 416'8, 16hp onan. Even with the key off, all test lights stay on. Switched key switch (ignition switch), same problem. Bad ground?

Sent from my 416-8

leeave96

My 314-8 has a push button to illuminate the dash lights. Do you have the same/similar switch and if so is it stuck pushed-in?

chevyaddict83

It has a momentary switch. I push it up, then back down. They stay off for a moment, then come back on.

Sent from my 416-8

Save Old Iron

Sounds like the light test switch may be a candidate for replacement. If the switch terminals have heat shrink on the wires, it might be worth peeling back the shrink to check to see if the wires are corroded off the switch terminals. Since you can force the correct response from the indicators by "working" the test switch, the internals of the switch may be defective.

chevyaddict83

I was only concerned because of a hopefully clogged fuel filter related issue at the same time. I have very little time with this machine. So any issues concern me..

Sent from my 416-8

Save Old Iron

The indicator circuit board is just that - it indicates the status of several switches in the tractor wiring harness. The tractor will function perfectly fine EVEN WITH THE CIRCUIT BOARD REMOVED FROM ITS ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR.

can whlvr

i had to unplug one of mine

ericj

i have completely removed the test board from tractors, mostly 312's the leads are just piggy backed on to all safety switches, but if you are only having problems with the lights staying on you might want to check the test switch or you could just cut the power wire in a place were it could be repaired if you decide to down the road

eric