Sign in to follow this  
redidbull

Please Teach Me to Put on Chains.

redidbull

For the first time I was able to use my 73 No Name in the snow. Opted for the plow. I thought using a snow blower was easy. Actually had fun. Anyway it was my 1st attempt to put on chains. They seem big and they keep slipping off. ik really have had zero experience with chains. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim

nylyon

redidbull

Thanks. Mine seem longer, they overlap. I am going to measure the length. I left the tires on. Jim

GlenPettit

The chain manufacturers often make the chains so they could fit 23", 24" & 25" tires. So they very well could be too long; you want them an exact & very tight fit, if you drive fast (in third), the chains could bulge out and hit your fender underside, make them snug, cut off the excess chain but use the cross link. Recheck tightness after a little driving.

jeremi3210

The easyist way is to let the air out of the tire fi

rst then put the chains on as tight as you can than air the tire back up. Also i put some rubber straps on the chains to keep them snug.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

My chains always seem long. I just buckle them up tight and wiretie the loose ends back. Then bungie them up or I cut 1 1/2 inches out of an old inner tube with a S-hook on each end and keep them tight.

Tim

I don't let the air out

i just put them on as tight as i can, then put chain tighteners on

http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/tractor/Tire-Chain-Tightener

i usually use a couple of extra "S" hooks on each tightener

if you have good tension on the tighteners, the chains will tighten even more as you drive and the chains move around

can whlvr

tire tighteners look great but if your cheap and have 4-5 sets of chains on like i do i just deflate and get on tight as possible and air up,i own a compressor so its easy to do this,its worked for me for over 25 years

redidbull

Thanks all. Maybe I can get out there later and try some of the stuff suggested. Thanks and Happy New Year. Jim

RJR49

Everything jeremi3210 said plus jack up the wheel and give the chain a good shake. You will be surprised how loose they get when you work them a little

jcg1112

The chain manufacturers often make the chains so they could fit 23", 24" & 25" tires. So they very well could be too long; you want them an exact & very tight fit, if you drive fast (in third), the chains could bulge out and hit your fender underside, make them snug, cut off the excess chain but use the cross link. Recheck tightness after a little driving.

I just went thru the first time installation struggle. My chains were long enough to fit 22", 23 or 24" tires of various widths. Haven't decided yet whether I'm going to cut the excess links or secure them. What I do know is that I could have used a coulple of extra hands and some warmer temps. Barn is insulated but not heated (at least not yet). getting everything tight was a real pita.

baerpath

I let the air out when I put chains on. Then leave them on and take the tire of and swap on another set of tires for summer.

redidbull

I let the air out when I put chains on. Then leave them on and take the tire of and swap on another set of tires for summer.

I think that is the best idea. I may go that route. Thanks. Jim

WheelHorseSteve

x3 ...this the the way to go. Get them perfect once... don't mess with them.

redidbull

x3 ...this the the way to go. Get them perfect once... don't mess with them.

Now starts the search. Maybe some of the spring swap meets. I did OK for some fronts last year. Jim