Sign in to follow this  
JunkHeap

New poster with a burning question

JunkHeap

This is my first post so my apologies if I'm posting in the wrong spot. I have an 854 Wheelhorse with a snow blower and dump cart that I bought almost 10 years ago. I started a restoration, but life got in the way so it sat in my basement torn apart on the back burner. Now I would like to finish what I started so I am taking inventory of all my parts so I can see where I left off.

I would like to find a snow plow for my tractor, but I remember the terms "short frame" and "long frame" being tossed about...what does this mean, and what do I have?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

TT

:WRS:

An 854 has a 41.5" wheelbase and is considered a short frame tractor.

Newer tractors like the C series have a 45.5" wheelbase and require a longer mounting frame so the blade clears the front tires when angled.

groundhog47

An 854 has a 41.5" wheelbase and is considered a short frame tractor.

Newer tractors like the C series have a 45.5" wheelbase and require a longer mounting frame so the blade clears the front tires when angled.

No advice just DITTO Terry's welcome and :text-happynewyear:

JunkHeap

Thanks! That has puzzled me since I bought it. Now I can start looking for a blade! :woohoo:

I believe I have found all my parts so now it is just a matter of getting them cataloged to the manual and start cleaning, painting, etc.

I'm sure this has been covered, but what is the general opinion for finishes? Rattle can, Automotive paint, powder coating??

KC9KAS

JunkHeap, :WRS:

Most here probably use rattle cans because most of us don't have the equipment/expertise to do a good automotive spray job. Powder coating would be best, but there again, unless you have or have connections with someone with the equipment, it is costly.

Be sure to keep us updated with pictures....If you have spent much time lurking here, you know pictures are a must!

JackC

Not my area of expertise but if the budget is low rattle cans can produce a nice finish. If I was trying to create a show tractor I would take the sheet metal and parts to a body shop and have a professional paint it for me. The wheels can be powder coated which will be a durable coating. Some say spray paint will produce a shinier finish for a show tractor than powder but for a worker powder coating will give a more durable finish.

Some older tractors look good with with their old weathered finish brightened up. I use WD40 and auto body products. I like Meguiar's paint cleaner and Formula 113 wax.

fabricator2009

welcome.

HorseWhisperer

Welcome Junkheap and if I may for once get here before Craig(ConanwithOnan)Bwahahahah. :wwp: :wwp: :wwp::WRS::text-worthless::text-welcomewave::text-baaa::ROTF::banana-gotpics:

Lets see the before pile of parts!

AMC RULES

Sounds like a cool project Jeff.

Sparky

Never seen a lime green Kohler before... :grin: !

Mike..........

HorseWhisperer

Green and Red,festive for the holidays?

JunkHeap

Yea, that's it....Holiday colors! :ychain:

The lime green didn't make much sense to me, so I think I'll repaint it all red :)

clemedc

Nice 854 restoration candidate :thumbs:

pinecone

another green machine from ebay.

$%28KGrHqZ,%21owFCp4FZqoWBQ1iRnKVz%21%7E%7E60_1.JPG

stevasaurus

Great pictures. That is the right spec # for that Kohler...maybe it came from an Oliver or some other garden tractor. :)

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: Thats a great canditate for restoration! I like the dump cart too!

Tankman

Welcome to the WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction) group!

Nice Horse, excellent photo album. Green? Maybe it was the Hulk's Stallion? :laughing-rofl:

Bobby1thumb

My wife is always hassling me about no room for my 4 tractors 2 Deere and 2speedex what I the world would she say about the 17 and the DAD's 27 tractors. I can hear her now. Nice posts anyway

buckrancher

WELCOME TO :rs:

here's the link to my 854 rebuild you may find it helpful

Brian

hm12460

On a further note, a long frame snow plow will work on your short frame tractor and may be somewhat easier to find. The 854 is a popular model and looks like you have a nice one to work with. Let us know how things are going for you!

Zeek

You have been lured . . . :teasing-whipyellow:

• Like 1

kthack657

Welcome to Redsquare, dont think it will stop with the 854...this time next year you may have 5 more, they have a way of multiplying...lol

• Like 1

JunkHeap

Thanks for the help and hello's! I can see where this could get to be an addicting hobby...Other than my horse I have a mid-60's Pennsylvania Panzer that was torn apart when I got it. They'll be a cool pair when I get em' restored. :)

Jeff

• Like 1

Bobby1thumb

I know what you are saying about the basket case ,but it seems as though you have time to work on them until you get them then they seem to get pushed aside. I am hoping for a horse but seem to decide on which one