Sign in to follow this  
RCTruckDaddy

Swapping Spindles

RCTruckDaddy

I have 1982 Workhorse GT 1142 with the spindles that use a retaining clip to secure the front wheels. Can I swap these out for the older style that use a bolt to hold the front wheel on. I have a 69 Electro parts tractor. Will they work? I lost a wheel plowing on Friday and don't want to experience that again.

Thx

Dave

Kelly

Yes direct bolt on, just check that the flat arm the tie rod bolts to is not bent, they bend when the tire runs in to stuff, a little at a time.

I like the bolt on style myself, I've lost a wheel plowing before, and I was at a neighbors house being nice, could not pick the tractor up and put the wheel on by myself, lost the snap ring, had to walk 1/4 mile home get a jack and snap ring walk back and fix it, all while it was snowing hard, after that no more snap rings.

roscoemi

I'm with Kelly on this. Lost the right front wheel twice in 10 feet. Next I lost the clips and went with bolt splindles.

RCTruckDaddy

Thanks guys. Only reason I had clip was I have the plastic caps on the hubs. The clip was in the grease in he cap. I will change them this weekend.

Kelly

I have cheated before by drilling a hole right in the clip groove through the spindle and used a cotter pin, some spindles are factory like that also.

• Like 2

RCTruckDaddy

Yeah my father in law has a 310-8 with the spindles drilled.

squonk

If I get a parts tractor that has bolt on spindles I save them. Then when I get a tractor I'm going to use I swap them out first thing.