Sign in to follow this  
Zeek

Tire Size Opinion/Experience

Zeek

I'm getting ready to put new turf tires on my 72' Raider 12 restoration.

Stock tire size is 16x6.5x8 Front and 23.8.5x12 Rear.

After reviewing a bunch of posts on the subject :techie-studyinggray: , I'm thinking about changing the sizes to 16x7.5x8 and 23x9.5x12.

For two reasons:

1. I want a slightly beefier look than the originals.

2. The way tire companies are skimping, I'm thinking a size up won't be much of a difference.

It's primarily a trailer queen, so the ply rating isn't a major concern - the beefier stock look is. I have the stock deck and plow for it.

Anybody tried this on a similar model? Any input on this would be appreciated.

jdog_kustoms

bigger is better and i have had tons of tractors with all differant size tires and only a drastic size change is even realy noticable unless your looking for it and if both change only a person looking at tire size would ever see it

rmaynard

You are right about the tire manufacturers starting to skimp on size. I have two B-100's sitting side-by-side. Both have Carlisle turf tires. One has 23 x 8.50 x 12's that were purchased in 2001, the other has the same size tires purchased in 2010. The newer tires look to be a size smaller both in width and height. I'd say go for the beefier tire. As long as you have proper clearances there should be no problem.

Martin

i used 23 x 9.50-12's on the rear of my 1057 build. heres a pic....

post-4321-0-79681000-1356454891_thumb.jp

heres my 1057 (with the 9.50's) on the left next to my c125 on the right (with oem 1980 turf savers in 8.50's)

the width is most noticeable at the sidewall area, the wider ones bulge considerably more. the tread blocks are wider too.....

these are both on oem 7" rims......

i think the narrower tires are a little taller though.....

post-4321-0-57445200-1356455049_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

wh5208speed

I really like the wider 7.50 front tires. I have always liked the wider tires of the 520's which came stock with 16x7.50-8 on the fronts. Thad (Ohio)

Don1977

i used 23 x 9.50-12's on the rear of my 1057 build. heres a pic....

post-4321-0-79681000-1356454891_thumb.jp

heres my 1057 (with the 9.50's) on the left next to my c125 on the right (with oem 1980 turf savers in 8.50's)

the width is most noticeable at the sidewall area, the wider ones bulge considerably more. the tread blocks are wider too.....

these are both on oem 7" rims......

i think the narrower tires are a little taller though.....

post-4321-0-57445200-1356455049_thumb.jp

The wider ones are shorter, unless they are making them all shorter. Could be like everything else pay more and get less.

I have as set on Carlisle Turf Masters when air down for the tread to sit flat they are only around 21 1/2" tall. these were bought in the late 80's or early 90's

so they have been that way . I have them on 7 1/2" rims don't know if that a difference in height.

SAM_0065.jpg

I had 20# of air in them in this picture. Don't know how much is in them now, I let some out to get them to flatting out at the ground.

GlenPettit

I also agree, the tires being sold today certainly do appear to be slightly different, and on my tractors too,

dealers always say that they are better now, but I wonder.

(Like, do tennis shoes sold today, last & wear like "I think they used to" ?)

The weight of the tractor on the tires and the air pressure do affect the tire appearance,

but all things being equal, they are different today, and your pictures show it.

-- 10# of air will have more rubber on the ground (softer-larger footprint), and 20# gives less rubber on ground

and a slightly taller tire (firmer-smaller footprint), and more psi gives a little more traction in mud/snow.

Soft for SUMMER mowing, hard for WINTER plowing.

Zeek

Thanks, these side-by-side comparison pictures are very helpful :popcorn:

HorseWhisperer

Glen,I have to agree with you.For some reason I think everything about new tiresome different,shape,size and compound.Two same size tires side by side(one old and one recent)are worlds apart.