Sign in to follow this  
csvt99

877 Auto Replacement Fuel Tank & Filter

csvt99

I have an 877 that has been in storage for at least 20 years. It was my uncles and my dad and I just recently got it running. Had some trouble getting it started recently due to dirt in the line. I pulled the line off the carb and pumped some gas out and it was full of paint and dirt. Ran fine after that. However there is still a bunch of dirt in the tank. I am planning on adding a fuel filter, but how easy is it to find a replacement tank for these things? Tips on the fuel filter would be appreciated as well. The line is 1/4 id and 1/2 od. Thanks!

post-9056-0-63535700-1356210366_thumb.jp

squonk

If the tank doesn't leak take it off and put a piece of chain in it and rattle it around some to loosen up anymore rust than flush it out with some of today's quality fuel. :roll: Replace the fuel shut off at the tank and use any 1/4' small engine fuel filter.

sorekiwi

You probably wont find a new tank. Used tanks are around, but they're nearly 50 years old now, so are likely to be in the same condition as yours.

If you have an old-time radiator repair shop near you, they can boil it in their nasty caustic hot-tank. But there arent many of those places around anymore.

What I have succesfully done is to put a cup or two of kerosene in the tank, with a couple of handfuls of old bolts. Shake, rattle and roll until you get really tired and then do it again 10 times. It does a good job of scrubbing out all the crud and rust from the inside.

Somewhere Chuck (Save_old_Iron) has a thread showing how he cleaned one with electroysis. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Be aware though that once the tank has been cleaned you may find some pinholes. Spots of rust where the metal just got too thin. I have one tank that I managed to solder a hole shut, usual precautions about heat and fuel tanks apply.

An inline filter is definately the way to go.

sorekiwi

Chucks electrolysis wisdom here:

csvt99

Thanks guys, so the electrolysis just helps to free up the corrosion and gunk in the tank? I'll probably try the rocks/ chain/ bolts method and flush it out first.

welderman85

There is a product called kreem Eastwood also sells there one brand of it its for motorcycle gas tanks I have used it twice with great results. It removes the rust then sseals it and coats the inside so it cant rust anymore

varosd

Thanks guys, so the electrolysis just helps to free up the corrosion and gunk in the tank? I'll probably try the rocks/ chain/ bolts method and flush it out first.

electrolysis changes the rust at the molecular level as opposed to de-rusting chemicals, strippers, grinding wheels. after its done, you are at bare metal and can prime/paint etc. I have used the E-tank system (not on the inside of a gas tank!) and was sold on it. I used a old 33 gallon garbage can (super as it was on wheels) and rebar.

KC9KAS

I'll probably try the rocks/ chain/ bolts method and flush it out first.

Unless you have some really deep rust in the tank, this will clean it up.

csvt99

I cleaned the tank this afternoon and everything looks good. Next step is to put the filter on. I was planning to do it today but I forgot to get hose clamps. Thank for the help!