Sign in to follow this  
AKincer

c-125 fuel tank shape

AKincer

For starters, please forgive me for how dirty the tractor is in the attached picture. It's a recent purchase and I have it running nicely, but have not had a chance to clean it up yet.

Now for the back ground. I bought new fuel cap with gage on ebay and it didn't seem to want to thread on the way it should. I read several recent posts on this board about the length of the gage mecahism and potential interference at the bottom of the tank, so I was snooping around trying to determine if that was the problem. (It's not - I'm pretty confident that the fuel cap that I received was threaded incorrectly.)

Anyway as I looked at the fuel tank inside and out I discovered this very odd shape (see attached picture). The fuel line attachment connects at the bottom of the large right side section (right behind the trailer ball). There is kind of inverted u shape on the bottom of the tank and a smaller and higher section on the left side. So as the fuel drops in the tank and once it goes below the top of the inverted U, there is a fair amount of fuel left in the left section that will never make it to the fuel pick up. It's almost like it was intended to have a reserve tank that would have another pick up and vavle to swithc to the smaller section if you ran the larger section out of gas, but there is no pick up or valve to access the fuel that remains in this section. Seems like a complete waste.

Now my working assumption is that I'm missing something that is very obvious to the rest of you. Please forgive my ignorance if that's the case and help me understand how this works.

Thanks in advance!

post-8959-0-49504900-1356030687_thumb.jp

Rock farmer

No, I'd say you got it about right.

No way for the gas to get from there to the engine!

Maybe when they designed it they were thinking of putting in a cross over pipe, but it just never happened.

Joe

SousaKerry

I have one and I have never seen fuel trapped on the left usually the tractor rocking around splashes it all out

Martin

i think the only reason that the tank is shaped like it is was to accommodate the rear lift. that space needs to be there to allow a link between attachments and the jackshaft that would be used with them. im not sure that too much thought was put into getting the gas from one side to the other, as was already mentioned, the movement of the tractor takes care of it. if there was gas left there for any large amount of time, youre not working your tractor hard enough!!!!!!.......... :handgestures-thumbup:

tried to find a pic on here to explain, best one i can find at the moment....

DSC00025.jpg

Edited by Martin

Tankman

I have one and I have never seen fuel trapped on the left usually the tractor rocking around splashes it all out.

I've never had a fuel in hiding problem (trapped in the shallow compartment).

I guess the fuel does splash out 'n down (gravity) while the Stallion is galloping 'round his pasture. :laughing-rofl: