Sign in to follow this  
wh79d160

STEERING D-160

wh79d160

My 79 D-160 has loose steering. Is there some way to tighten up the gear. I have a manual , it shows me how to do everything but that. Has anyone had any experience with this. Thanks in advance, Tom in Kansas.

Jim_M

The D series tractors have an adjustment on the steering box that will remove some of the play, most of the time. It's on the side of the steering box and consists of a set screw with a lock nut. Loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in until it's snug then back it out about 1/8-1/4 turn to prevent steering bind, hold it in place while you re-tighten the lock nut. If you still have play check your tie rod ends for excessive wear. Before doing any of the above make sure all of the nuts on the tie rod ends are tight.

Good luck!

Jim

Rollerman

Also take a look at the bell crank under the fron of the tractor.

If that bushing is wore out you lose a lot of your steering haveing it flop around.

Stephen in northern IN

Jim_M

Sorry, I was thinking D250 when I typed that last message. The smaller D series have the adjustment on the bottom of the box. Pull the cotter key, tighten the nut snug, but not tight and put the cotter key back in.

Jim

Sparky

Thats good info...thanks Jim. I havent had much seat time in my "D" but in the short time I did operate it the steering was kinda loose.

Mike.......