Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

RJ-35... is it worth grabbing?

JUSS10

So i get a call the other day from a guy that says he has an old wheel horse for parts. I finally got back in touch with him today and he sent me a text with some pictures. Turns out its an RJ-35. Not sure on the year. I'd say its half there... Front end is all there, steering is there, lift lever, front tires, seat, rear end. No hood, no rear wheels/tires, missing the right side lever to control speed (i think thats what its for) no engine. Anyway, he wants $40 it delivered to my house, is that a solid deal? i honestly don't know what i would do with half a tractor. its on the border of, track down parts to build it, or part it out and sell it to people who need the parts. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Justin

Edited by JUSS10

Martin

If it was me I would get it and just sit on it for a while. Slowly gather the parts to complete it and then it's another one saved. I don't come across any early ones at all and I guess it would be at least a start for one. If you don't have the room then that would be another story.

Even if it took a couple years to get the remaining parts and it just sit there waiting to be completed, I'm sure I would be happy saving another one and an early one at that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Let's just say I wouldn't turn that down. Totally agree with Martin. They don't take up much space if you take them apart. Shelve it and collect the parts over time.

JUSS10

upon further investigation on the pictures it looks like it has the pulleys, just not the lever. really the only big things its missing is a hood, gas tank, and engine. did these run a kohler k91 on them? what horse power was that, 4hp?

stevasaurus

I agree with Jason and Ryan...being from Zeeland...parts are available. Scrap price is close to what you are giving for it...can't lose in my opinion. It seems like the RJs are very popular lately and I know that members are looking for parts...hope you have the room for it. :) I'm thinking the RJ35 had the Kohler K90 and I think it is 3.5 hsp.

Edited by stevasaurus

JUSS10

don't really have room for it right now, but it can sit covered behind the barn and out of site until i am ready to work on it.

I gave it the green light and he's dropping it off friday for me.

Edited by JUSS10

VinsRJ

At the $40 asking price, thats a good deal. The only thing that makes or breaks a RJ35 resto is the veri-drive, if its still there and in good shape then you just scored BIG! Missing... then its still a good deal but its going to be difficult to restore IMO.

As for motors... 1955s are said to only have Clinton 1200s, 1956s and 1957s could have either a Kolher K90 or Clinton 1200.

JUSS10

what parts are needed for the veri-drive? is that the pulley between the engine and the rear end?

KC9KAS

For $40 and another $10 for a tarp, you better get it NOW!

JUSS10

it showed up in the driveway just a few hours ago. Looks to be quite solid. Front tires are shot but most of the moving parts move. i threw a spare set of AGs on the rear so i can at least move it around. looks like the motion lever is gone, the hood, and engine, but there is still a lot there. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. Might just put it under a tarp for now and deal with it after the holidays. I have a gut feeling if i sell it i will regret it (like most tractors i have let go)

anyway, here are some pics (little blurry, cell phone and it was raining)

rj35_zps6f45c182.jpeg

89511756-DCD9-4D41-B205-5529D9BAAA7D-453-00000032BD978062.jpg

8ED59D5B-6334-41B2-BC64-B5119855C5CF-453-00000032C4472133.jpg

C5941645-E507-4CD7-A79A-68BEBD645645-453-00000032CCA289A3.jpg

1ACA4D54-BCDA-4419-B141-52C109050C70-453-00000032D7FC493E.jpg

7E4A29E1-95DC-44E0-8A01-78EA82B14421-453-00000032E05D80D7.jpg

• Like 1

Kelly

You did VERY good for $40 and delivered, I see it has the optional brakes, I'm not big on the early tractors but from what I do know it looks like most of the drive is there, pump it full of grease cut the rubber off the front rims so they don't fill up with water, and tarp it, I have a couple Clintons that would fit that.

specialwheelhorse

I would build that little jewel a climate controled pony house till I could scrape

up all the other goodies. Hens teeth are very scarce around here.

I put my first RJ together in our living room. How understanding is your wife.

Jim In Texas

JUSS10

I may hit you up on that Kelly. Like i said, not sure what i plan to do with it yet but its becoming more and more tempting to hold on it it.

I sprayed down all the stuck spots with liquid wrench before i headed back to work. will try and get it in the barn tonight just to look things over a little better. Grease up the spindles and try and get them to break free.

thanks for the tip on the wheels. i have a few sets of rollers sitting around so i may see if they will fit for now.

Jim, no wife but my soon to be fiance rolled her eyes when i told her i bought another tractor. luckily we are looking for a house with some land and a barn or at least the land to put up a barn...

smoreau

You may want to check if there's any water in the Chain case before storing it. Nice find for $40!!

stevasaurus

I like it...the seat is probably worth what you have into it, but with the rear tires on it...starting to look like a horse. :woohoo:

VinsRJ

You did very well for $40... You have all of the drive componemts...

JUSS10

Now i just need the engine pulley. Looks like they are something special? Just for kicks what on average would it cost me for a hood, engine and steering wheel? I think i could fab up the motion control lever from scrap steel i have around (unless they aren't that hard to find, or cost that much) a belt guard i could fab up... just trying to figure this out in my head. i think i have a briggs model 8 sitting around but looks like they were only used on the early models.

Kelly

To get by you could use a later RJ hood, and steering wheel, I think there was a member here that made repo early wheels, Joe Papke right here in MI might have the pulley you need I'm not sure if he is a member here or not, he is pretty big on the old RJs

krazy_horse

I would build that little jewel a climate controled pony house till I could scrape

up all the other goodies. Hens teeth are very scarce around here.

I put my first RJ together in our living room. How understanding is your wife.

Jim In Texas Juss10, Have you thought about storing it in the trunk of your wife's car? HeHe krazy_horse

• Like 1

mdclem

I just recently bought a pulley off Papke. I believe he still has some on hand. I'd pay a whole lot for those rear hubs. They look nice and solid.

JUSS10

How much was the pulley?

mdclem

Can't recall off the top of my head. somewhere around $80. It is top quality and probably made better than the original ones.

Jake Kuhn

Joe sells for pulleys for 70 or 80, can't remember? He did not have any in stock as of two weeks ago.

Edited by Jake Kuhn

rydogg

You did great :handgestures-thumbupright: I have seen the variable drive pulley bring up to 3 times what you paid for the whole tractor also rear hubs and brake system are worth some $$. I would find the parts and put it together since you have a very good start already.

VinsRJ

Attached is a couple of pics of the speed selector I made for my RJ project. It is an exact copy of an original.

post-1597-0-92210400-1356050069_thumb.jp

post-1597-0-42102600-1356050078_thumb.jp

• Like 1