Sign in to follow this  
pinecone

merry xmas, santa wears red, hmm

pinecone

have a nice holliday, horse holders. just love the forum. i learn each day, my first year. 312-8, by the way are there any wheel horse ball caps out there for sale. i ride with a red one but it's from the golf channel. looks fine though, makes me feel good. could use 1 for xmas if the timing is right. as a newbee, if you store your tractor for the winter (heated,) is it best to run out the gas or put a preservative in it? i run down my snowblower and small lawn mower but not sure if i should to do this with the WH. i have a full tank now

, got caught with wet weather, and wetlands, think its inside for the winter, i'm such a newbee i do not know how to drain the fuel. oh well, will deal with it, if you have a plow or blower, enjoy, as i know you will. pine

Kelly

Look in the store here for hats, or try ebay.

as for storing tractors for winter I use stabil and run the tractor around the yard to mix it up and get it in the carb, 10 min. of run time is more than enough.

rydogg

I run everything of mine out of gas except for the wheel horses with the two piece tanks 633 653 753 etc. I keep these full since if you leave them empty the seal will dry out and leak when you refuel them after sitting. I found this out the hard way with my 633 I got lucky and the seal swelled back up stopping the leak...drying out can also happen with carburetor seals but they are much easier to replace. I also run non-ethanol fuel in my small engines.

Stabil is a huge pet peeve at the shop I work at part time I have seen what it does to carburetors that are not kept full it turns into a jelly like substance and eventually dries up in the jets and passageways...as long as the carburetor is always full of gas it works great. If you really need a stabilizer I have read that sea foam is better with todays fuels here is their claim on their website.

"As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam® will clean carburetors, fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture."

littleredrider

I hear alot of people complaining or having problems with today's gas. I try to tell everyone to run 93 octane, whether it runs better or not or needs the octane boost. Much of my stuff sits for weeks and months on end, without me so much as looking at it, and when I do go to start them, starts on the third pull. Now I've heard people letting something sit for a few weeks, and their carb is shot, or at least a tear down and good cleaning. I guess there isn't as much ethanol in the higher octane....

TT

I don't have a hat for you, but you're more than welcome to one of my

• Like 2

ericj

i run the 93 octane with stai-bil and knock on wood haven't had problems like i have heard of on here and at shows

the only thing i run out of gas is my generator i turn the fuel of and let it run out of gas, haven't had problems yet, always a first though

just my 2 cents worth

eric

squonk

Fuel around here has gotten really bad. There is a station that sells ethanol free 93 and that's what I use now. B-n-Law has an old Farmall that doesn't get used much. He calls me and says I can't get it running and if I could help him. Farmall's usually start by themselves. It has a loader on it and a real PITA to work on. I get there and he says he has no spark. He had replaced points,plugs,coil, cap and rotor. I start checking and he does have spark. I pull the gas cap and really don't get a strong fuel smell. Drain some out in a jar and still don't smell any fuel like I should. Tank was full of water. Now he says, I had the same problem last month with my 4 wheeler. WELL, DUH!!!!!

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Really...the fuel he put in there was watered down that much? :confusion-shrug:

squonk

No . It sat a while and the ethanol absorbed all the moisture out of the air through the tank vent.

Wheel-N-It

That is exactly what happens. I have seen it myself.

stevasaurus

I am a firm believer in SeaFoam as a stabilizer and a cleaner. I mix it in my 3 gallon gas can and then use that for all the tractors and mowers...use it in my truck also. If you read the label on the can, this stuff is so great that I think you could put it on a Pizza and it would taste better. :)

• Like 4

Duff

I don't have a hat for you, but you're more than welcome to one of my

I remember that thread! Thanks, TT! :text-thankyoublue:

Duff :thumbs: :thumbs:

pinecone

thanks for all the info. will look into the seafoam product, sounds like i could put it into my outboard engine also. just how do you post a photo on this forum. i try and the result is always (to big a file). just want to show my 312-8, near mint, nothing i did. you all seem so down to earth with grease under the nails it blows me away with the photos, figured no time with the computer. guess you all have 10 year olds. as before have a great holliday week. pine

JackC

I use Seafoam and some shops that I have asked like StarTron which deals with water molecules in fuel. I try to get pure gas when I can.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6174&familyName=StarTron+Gasoline+Engine+Fuel+Treatment

KC9KAS

"As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam® will clean carburetors, fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture."

I too am a SEAFOAM user, and have had very good luck with it!

I actually run it most of the time in my outdoor internal combustion engines. I buy gasoline 5 gallons at a time and put a pint of SEAFOAM in each % gallons of gas. I then use this gasoline for the mowers, weedeaters, chainsaw.....of course, I add 2 cycle oil for the 2 strokes

Lane Ranger

I got to agree with Steve and Ken (KC9KAS) on the Seafoam. Only thing we use as an additive to gasoline and it works well all year long!

Edited by Lane Ranger

squonk

I have seen Sea Foam when added to the oil take an engine knock out of my B-I-L's car and take a lifter tick out of a Chevy p/u I used to have.

leeave96

Merry Christmas everyone!

There were a goodly amount of hats at the Wheelhorse show last summer, maybe someone might have one they could part with.

With regard to gas, I have always used the red staybil, but with today's ethanol laced gas, I'm thinking the red staybil may not cut it. Mostly I try to keep fresh gas, but there's always one tractor that sets for a longer period and the potential for bad gas is present. This summer I tried marvel mystery oil and like it, only because I think it gives some top end lubrication, but don't know if it is a gas stabilizer or can deal with the ethanol.

Thanks,

Bill

RCTruckDaddy

www.tandhcreationsinc.com for hats and stuff.

wingrider

I found a new product that is made by Lucas Oil that is called Safeguard. I've been using it for over 6 months with good results, and it is cheaper

than Stabill. At the same time I found out that NAPA can get fuel line that the Ethanol will not dry out and harden. It comes in 1/4" and is yellow

in color, and you can see the fuel in it. I was allways having carb problems and i would fine little black balls in the carb when I took them apart.

I put the gas line on and put the Safeguard in and haven't had any problems since, so I guess it works.

Wingrider