Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Wheel Horse MacKissic Chipper

mattd860

I have an opportunity to get a Wood Chipper made by MaKissic for my WH. Does anybody know the value of a good working condition chipper?

Any comments on their functionality?

post-3293-0-49700500-1355692442_thumb.jp

post-3293-0-92496000-1355692451_thumb.jp

post-3293-0-13458500-1355692458_thumb.jp

joel_400

I have seen them from 20-300 dollars depending on condition. Fortunately the one I bought was the 20 dollar one! It needed some work but now it works great!

Joel

GlenPettit

A related thread under Gardening here on Red Square:

Kelly

That is a bit newer than mine, that one has the tall shoot mine are the short ones, I paid $150 for one and $75 for the other, but were not as nice as that one, I did pick up one for a Cub it was very nice for $20 I sold it later for $400

Forest Road

I paid $30 for mine. It was a standard motor driven unit minus the motor. A few hours welding and I'm in business. I'll send you pics tomorrow.

Butch

I have a tow behind MacKissic that my dad bought in 1980. They are great machines. Built tough. If you have shredding to do I'd buy it. Parts most likely are still available for it. I went to a place outside of Allentown, Pa and bought parts for mine a few years back.

Lane Ranger

The Mighty Mac is a great shredder/chipper and the onme I have operates very efficiently. It is really a hammermill with several hardened blades that turn over and over in the "mill" and shreds leaves, weeds and brush into smaller and smaller pieces. There are three different size screens you can place on the machine to increase of decreaase the size of the final shredded material.

100_8793.jpg

100_8343.jpg

This frame attaches to the front of the Wheel Horse tractor to hold the Mighty Mac in position for installing a belt on the PTO:

100_8345.jpg

100_8344.jpg

100_8339.jpg

This is a video of my Mighty Mac in operation with my B-80. I recommend using a 10 HP or 12 HP for better operation.

th_100_8794.jpg

MacKissic is still in business and you can buy parts and they have operations manuals for the Mighty Mac. Here is their website:

http://www.mackissic.com/

bean

you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the screens, or the diameter of the openings, would you?

I bought a mighty mac, and it only had one screen.

cheesegrader

MacKissick is still in business, and parts are easy to get.

I had to get a new chipper blade last year.  No problem.

I use mine every spring and fall to deal with brush and deadfalls.

The mulch goes under the swingset!

Chipper blade on the flywheel will handle up to a 3"diameter branch.

The hammermill will handle up to about 1" diameter, but in a much higher volume.

Larger branches can jam the hammers, which leads to burnt belts, even with the clutch.

I wish I didn't have to learn that the hard way.