Sign in to follow this  
Brock

what did i get?

Brock

Hi all. Im a big fan of this forum and old wheel horses. I picked up two this morning. Will get more pics later but the question is what is this one? I know its a ball burner but what yr and model. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Brock

post-9148-0-39427500-1355515496_thumb.jp

Lane Ranger

Looks like a combo - a mix of several tractors! Newer (mid-late 1960's) hood on a early 1960's Suburban ??

Edited by Lane Ranger

Brock

I know the shifter is in the middle. Engine is middle and cast iron seat with back and round fenders. I went to look at this one but ended up loving the other one. Round hood steel seat engine under hood. Both have engines decks and came with a spare engine. This one has the battery tray under the seat also. Thanks again guys

Brock

Here is one of mid enginevarea. Sorry pics are so small but had to crop to upload.

KC9KAS

:WRS: Another Hoosier!

Kelly

We need better pics, but from going by what I see it's a 60 or 61 suburban.

JUSS10

i can only see the first picture which is really tough to make out any particular part. Do you have some more to try and upload?

justin

Jake Kuhn

If we had some more pics that would really help identify it better. As said, I also see parts to a 60-61 suburbans, and some others off of other tractors. ~Jake

AMC RULES

Welcome to :rs: Brock.

varosd

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Duff

Welcome to :rs:

Duff :thumbs: :thumbs:

fireman

The hood looks like a Speedex!

Dion H Daniels

These are the pics the seller sent me.

post-9052-0-40342000-1355540673.jpg

post-9052-0-40572000-1355540690.jpg

Jake Kuhn

That is a 1960 suburban 400. The hood does look like it may be off of a speedex. Nice find! :handgestures-thumbup:

TT

It could also be a 550 Suburban.

The hood looks homemade to me. :confusion-shrug:

Brock

Sorry guys it was a long day. Was up for 26 hrs went for a 1.5 hr trip one way and posted as soon as i got home. I am not as impressed by this one but the other wheel horse looks better. Thank you for the warm welcome guys. Im so excited to get into these. I am more familiar with those green and yellow gts but im starting to like red. :) i think id like to get rid of the speedex hood and get the correct one so let me know if anyone has one. Ivam planning on a full restoration with my daughters. I love the look of these old machines. I will try to get better pics tommorrow when i unload them but thank you guys.

jusjeepn

Terry is spot on. It's a 550. I spent 3 days working with this guy on these two and he just kept hem hauling around. I made an offer, he countered, I countered. He said it sounded good but would get back to me. Now I know why! I'm really not liking these C/L sellers lately. I really hope you didn't pay full price for these.

If your going to restore the Suburban, you'll need a heck of alot more than just a hood. The correct 5.5hp Techy is near impossible to find, fuel tanks are like gold right now. The 550 hood is not an easy one to find either.

Good luck!

glgrumpy

Dont know the model, but LOVE that exhuast, heh! And the Cyclops headlight! Shouldn't there besome sort of dash and support on these? Maybe those had the hood and dash kinda together? Like I said, not familiar with early ones. I'm Done now! :roll:

Brock

Hi guys thanks for the imput. I didnt give much of a story but i found these on cl and drove 1.5 hrs one way after 24 hrs of no sleep to get these so i didnt take a whole lot of time to post but wanted to put it on here. I will try to get more pics tommorrow when i unload them. I would like to find a hood to put on it and restore them both for my daughters. I am familiar with garden tractors of all kinds but mainly went after the green and yellow ones, but after seeing some of your guys round hooded beautys i wanted to get into wheel horses. They both havr decks in pretty good shape but only one has spindles in it. I plan on sandblasting and frame up restoring them. If anyone has any input on what to watch for with these tractors or has parts that they are wanting to sell let me know and maybe we can work out a deal. Btw i lovr this forum!!!! Thanks again

Brock

Sorry jus jeepn i apologize for takin your deal. No i didnt pay full price on them. It was an interesting umm lets say trip. Anyways i hope i can find the parts but if i cant would you guys think i should just make a rat rod or somethin out of it. The cyclops light is awesome haha.

Buckshot 1

:) Welcome fellow Hoosier. Good luck on your projects. :flags-waveusa:

jusjeepn

You don't have to apologize. It's the sellers who lead you to believe it's a done deal and then back out because they made another $1 that ruin it. I have a 550 hood that's rough. How far do you intend to go with this restore? PM me or email jusjeepn@aol.com

tractornut86

The hood is off a Farmette tractor. I have a 550 hood that needs work and a real nice 551 hood.

• Like 1

Callen

What's the difference in the 400 and 550 hoods?

Brock

Im deffinetly interested in a hood i dont mind if it needs work .