Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Anyone use a Hammermill for soil?

Prater

Just curious if anyone uses a hammermill to breakdown greens to add to the compost. There is one for sale close by and I was considering it for old leaves and mulch for composting.

GlenPettit

Yes, we do. We have a '80 MacKissic Hammermill Shredder we use in the Fall on the front of our 312. It shreds leaves, corn stalks and small sticks. Six bags of leaves into just one. It's not fast, takes time and good effort to feed, but very rewarding turning that scrap into fine mulch and organics. Shredded materials break down very quickly, actually in weeks. Google to learn more (or MacKissic.com), also WW Shredder is an excellent one also. You'll enjoy it, really enjoyable work doing it.

MacKissic_zps8667db10.jpg

A used MacKissic may run $150-$350 depending on condition. Be sure the one your looking at turns freely, best to see it actually run. The hammers are reverseable and really don't need to be sharp, it's the speed of the hammer that smashes-shatters-breaks up the pieces, and the screen controls the size of the exit pieces ($75), again, dry materials shatter easily. We also have a 1935 hammermill, it works just fine, just that the above one is so much more fun.

• Like 1

sorekiwi

I have a standalone MacKissic shredder and agree with what Glenn has said above.

MightyMacChipper.jpg

Its not really quick, but it does do a good job. It works a lot better on stuff that is dry, sometimes fresh vegetation cloggs up the hammers a bit.

I picked mine up off Craigslist for $75.

• Like 2

Prater

Thanks,

the one close by looks pretty used up and they want way too much for it. I will keep an eye out for one.

AMC RULES

I've been looking at them too...

wonder if someone would be kind enough to post up a short video of one of these in action. :thanks:

Prater

I did not find any hammermills close, but there is a Troy Bilt Chipper/Shredder with a 10HP briggs for $250. I read they have an issue with the pin holding the flail knives on if you try to overload them. Thinking this may work for now. I can pull the cover off and replace the weak pins with bolts and locking nuts like others have and put it to use.

sorekiwi

If you do put a bolt in there, make sure that the pin you are replacing wasnt some sort of shear bolt for safety (like on a snowblower)

I have overloaded my Mighty-mac a couple of times and it smokes the belt really quick.

MacKissic is still around: http://www.mackissic.com/

The screen on the output will eventually wear out on the MacKissic, they=re not real cheap but they are available still. This spring I replaced the piece of 1/8* steel plate that the motor mounts on, it had cracks all around the mounting holes for the motor. The hammers themselves only use one corner of the hammer so you can flip them around, AND use the other end. So you get to use all 4 corners before they need replacing. (And I'm wondering if you could just cut the end off to produce 2 more corners after that).

Next spring I'll probably pull mine apart, flip the hammers and take o look at the drum bearimgs.

One idea I havent pursued (yet) is to pick up another dumping garden cart and mounting the shredder on that, so it deposits the mulch into the trailer. It seems that I always seem to use the shredder a long way from where I want to put the mulch. Depositing the mulch directly into the trailer would avoid having to shovel it back up from the ground and into the trailer by hand.

GlenPettit

If you go onto 'YouTube', you'll find 10-12 short videos that people have made on using their MacKissic Shredder, plus other shredders

Just search "MacKissic Shredder".

AMC RULES

:scared-eek: Awesome. :thanks:

Prater

I picked up the $250 Troy Bilt. I know its just an MTD but it will get me through until I get a hammermill. It was just missing the hitch bar to pull it around with my garden tractor.

IMG_0962.jpg

Prater

This was the hammermill I was thinking of picking up but they wanted too much. It is a modified MacKissic, originally it hooked to a cub and ran off a belt. The guy added the Honda motor and frame but I thought $400 was too much. I would still like to have one but I think the Troy Bilt will work for now.

photo.jpg

Prater

Glad I pulled the housing off. I wanted to check the condition of the knives and flail blades. Looks like the unit had some water sitting in it for a while. One of the flail blade clips was pretty rusted and would have probably let loose soon after running the machine. I planned to replace the roll pins and clips with the newer bolts anyways...

IMG_0963.jpg

Lane Ranger

Here are some photos of my Mighty Mac Chipper/Shredder hammermill:

100_8793.jpg

100_8343.jpg

Frame that installs in front of the Wheel Horse tractor to hold the Mighty Mac shredder:

100_8345.jpg

100_8344.jpg

100_8339.jpg

Video of Mighty Mac in operation on a Wheel Horse B-80. However, I recommend using a 10 or 12 HP Wheel Horse with this useful attachment.

th_100_8794.jpg

Prater

I ordered the new pins and jam nuts today. I compared the parts list to the 2007 model. The only difference was the pin, jam nut, and flail blades. I figured I had better order the blades in case there is a difference between the old and new, dont want it self destructing because of it. If there is not a difference I will just use the old blades that have no wear and send the new ones back. Hopefully I will have all the parts in before Christmas...LOL

Thanks for the pics and video Lane Ranger...

Forest Road

Here's my MacKissic. I had a newer one with a 9 or 10 hp Briggs. It worked well. But was a pain in the a** to move around. This one is a pleasure to use. With the big block Kohler there's no bogging down. our property is primarily Balsam Firs. I chip the branches and use the trunks for camp fire wood. I have quite a number of them to remove yet as they're all dying.

I've never had a problem chipping or grinding anything! It'll be a chore getting leaves into the hopper.but for your purposes it's ideal.