Sign in to follow this  
AKincer

B100 Price and Capability

varosd

Don't let a little smoke scare you away.

Rollerman is right!

One mans "smoke" is another mans "start up cough"! if it isnt too far away, I would take a look at it.

47JDG

I would check it out. Maybe he would take less since it smokes at start up. That alone will scare most people away and the seller probably knows it. If its as nice as it looks in the pictures then it's probably a low hour tractor that was either run low on oil, or went to far between oil changes. In my opinion, the tractors in this kind of scenario are the best deals out there. Rebuild the engine and you will have a strong reliable tractor for the next 30 years easy if you take care of it. I would much rather buy a low hour tractor that was in great shape and looked good, but needed an engine over haul, than one that runs good but needs a bunch of other odds and ends and has been neglected and looks real bad. That Kohler 10 horse K241 is a real nice and desirable engine to have. I have one in my John Deere 210 and its a good engine, easy on fuel, and powerful enough to do most anything you would want to do with it, mowing, blowing snow, etc. If its as nice as it looks in the pictures, don't be afraid to buy it and put a little money into fixing it up. When your done you will know exactly what you have.

whc160

:text-welcomewave: From another Buckeye. Looks like a good tractor. I would not be scared of a little smoke on start up. And by the way it looks to be a 1976 or 77 because it has the flip up seat and solid mount fender pan.

3609horse

I have run 8hp on a couple tractors and have had 42" decks and yes in the thick grass you have to slow down a bit but it just gives you more seat time and thats a plus.

As for the one your looking at I would but in a minute. Good luck now that you have the bug..

Gene..

WheelHorseSteve

My 8-speed C didn't even have an engine (it was in a box with a hole through the crankcase) and I got it up and running again with another partial engine. Having a highly original tractor with great paint (and tires... So it appears) is very desirable in my book.... Heck, you could sell the deck to fund a replacement... At least partially. I would definitely take a closer look if not too far... They aren't making any more! That is a great model.

qd-16

Buy it and use it till you save up the $ to have the motor rebuilt.....it's worth the consideration and worth the $ for the rebuild,

nice original tractors like this are getting far and few between. :razz:

Jake Kuhn

Thats a very nice looking tractor. And the price is very fair too. If you were looking for another horse to use that would be an awesome tractor. ~Jake

Wheel-N-It

You should not let this one pass you by. A little engine smoke on startup is absolutely no big deal. Looking at this little tractor I can clearly see where proper care mechanically and storing it in an enclosed building will keep it running for a long long time.

stevasaurus

Stephen is right...I have a B-100 and love it. It only smokes when I start it up...turn off the choke and no more smoke. :)

AKincer

You guys are hard on a fella. I had completely talked myself out of this and now I'm waffling again. I don't need it and I sure can't explain it to the wife although several of you have offered some creative approaches. I've never rebuilt an engine so I'm a little squeamish about that. I also worry that I won't have the time to put into that I should and it might just sit around after I take it apart. It isn't very far away. I guess I'm going to think about looking at it this weekend and hope like crazy that someone buys it before I get there.

• Like 1

47JDG

Just go and look at it. You won't know until you see it. You never know, maybe the smoke he is talking about is from the choke. You never know how mechanical someone is when they describe something. I recently bought a tractor that the guy described to me as having a seized engine..it turns out it was seized because the starter was engaged and stuck in the flywheel. He burned the starter up by trying to start the tractor after it had run out of gas. I replaced the starter and gassed it up, now I have a very nice tractor that is going to no doubt provide me years of service...this is why you need to look at it and then make a decision.

• Like 1

AKincer

Spent the moring at my daughters basketball game and then went to lunch. Called the guy to go a take a look. A guy from Ft Wayned (2 1/2 hour drive) picked it up about 15 minutes before I called. Not sure if I'm disappointed or glad, but I do appreciate all the feedback from you guys. I have a strong suspicion that I will be on the lookout for another. Thanks to all of you even though I reacted to slowly.

Wheel-N-It

You just learned one of your first WH lessons. Next time you will not be so slow to react. Between now and then, learn all you can from this site. Then when a WH comes up for sale you will be able to judge on your own wheather or not it is one to buy.

• Like 3

47JDG

It is a good lesson. Someone else obviously thought it was worth what the seller was asking to go that distance for it. I imagine it was worth it. When they turn out to be as good as they look in the pictures, and when they look that good for that kind of price...chances are it won't be for sale for long. Don't feel too bad though, there will be more chances.