Sign in to follow this  
AKincer

B100 Price and Capability

AKincer

So, I stumbled onto this forum after a purchased a C-125 to mow and plow snow at a lake house. Needed a little help on a carburetor rebuild and got just what I needed here. I've breen grazing the forum ever since and it's really incredible how much information is available here.

The other thing that struck me is that many of you own multiple tractors. At first, I thought that was odd since it seemed easy enough to have 1 tractor to do multiple jobs (which was my original plan). Well there must be some odd subliminal messaging going on in the background of this forum page, becasue the bug has bit me. I've stumled across a B-80 (8 speed) that is for sale in my area for $350 that looks to be in really good shape and I have the urge to buy it (I've tried to attach a picture, so hopefully it works). Since it only comes with the mowing deck, I might, I guess my plan would be to use it for mowing. It's only an 8 horse engine and I've got some hilly ground at the lake house.

I would be interested in any feedback or advice from you guys on the following:

Is the B-80 a good tractor and how does it compare to the C-125?

Is the 8 horse sufficient for mowing hilly ground or am I asking for trouble?

Is 350 a fair price if it runs as expected?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have and I want all of you to know that this forum is curse :) !

post-8959-0-20422300-1355404500.jpg

Fun Engineer

Welcome to Red Square. That's a good looking B. The price isn't bad either. Hills should be no problem for it.

Rollerman

Looks like a decent Horse for the money.

The B-80 8 speeds are pretty stout & built just as heavy as your C-125.

They only sip at the fuel tank too.

You won't have any problems with the hill, but thats a 42" deck & may work an 8HP engine in thicker grass.

If you enjoy time on your Wheel Horse, no problem...grab a slower gear & keep at it.

Don1977

I think it will be better to put the deck on the C-125 and use the B-80 with the snow plow.

AKincer

The C-125 has the tack-a-matic mounting system. Would the decks and plow be fully interchangable between these models? That would be a big benefit that's the case.

AKincer

OK now you've got me thinking. I searched on-line to find other photos of B-80's. The ones I could find have the deck belt routed from the PTO to the front wheel and then back to the deck. (see photo that I found on the internet). That's the same setup as the C-125. But in the photo of the one that's for sale (see picture at the top of this thread), it doesn't look like it has the same setup. I don't see the pulleys that are located near the front axle. Can anyone help me sort out the belt routing / plow and deck interchangability issue??

post-8959-0-54231400-1355411326.jpg

SousaKerry

Yes for the most part any tach-o-matic equiped accessory will fit any tach-o-matic equiped tractor. There always exceptions to this of coarse(D, series C-195 and 60" decks most notably) but for the most part they will fit. I would be wary of the 8hp with a 42" deck also but if you mow regularly and don't let it get too long you should be fine.

Of coarse you could always swap out the 8 horse motor at a later date for a Tim Taylor Special.....

MORE POWER OUH OUH OUH!!!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

SousaKerry

Oh and the pullies out front are called a mule drive, or mule block. And if you look closely at the picture they are laying on top of the deck, they hook up to the front Tach-o-Matic.

AKincer

got it - I see the mule drive on the picture now that you've pointed it out.

So this is pretty intriguing since the attachments will interchange. Now i just have to figure out why all of the sudden I think I need more than 1 and more importantly how I explain that to my wife.

Thanks for all the help.

Rollerman

So this is pretty intriguing since the attachments will interchange. Now i just have to figure out why all of the sudden I think I need more than 1 and more importantly how I explain that to my wife.

Thanks for all the help.

You don't, just buy it & a few others....pretty soon she becomes oblivious to how many red tractors you actually have.

stevasaurus

It's always nice to have at least one extra horse in case one goes down for a bit. Ask her how many pair of shoes she needs...then she will understand. :) :)

• Like 1

c161rat

Thanks for all the help.

You don't, just buy it & a few others....pretty soon she becomes oblivious to how many red tractors you actually have.

Just tell her that the little cute B-80 is her tractor and you wanted to get it for her so you could spend more time with her while you are cutting the grass. Explain that this will bring the 2 of you closer together. Tell her that every time you look at the tractor you think of her. Then she might even get get into them too and you can buy as many as you want!!!!!!! Before you know it she will be telling you about ones she saw for sale and you will have a garage full of them!!!!!! Oh..... and by the way Welcome to Red Square!!!!!
  • Like 2

qd-16

Check the Craigslist ad again.....from what I am reading that is a B-100 with a ten horse....good deal in my opinion....tires look real good also.

Ken B

Looks like a pretty good deal to me. Buy it first, if she complains, then ask for forgiveness.

Rollerman

Had to put on the glasses & enlarge the pic some.

Thats a big block...maybe a B-80 with an engine swap?

Regardless a big block will pull that 42" deck much better.

Still a deal too.

AKincer

Man you guys are sharp. The add specifically says that it's a b100. Not sure how b80 got in my head.

Here's the text from the add and another picture.

Wheel horse b100 10 hp. 8speed Brinley hitch 42 inch deck in nice shape

350.00 Obo Call up to 10 pm

What is a Brinley hitch and why would it be useful??

post-8959-0-28492900-1355425843.jpg

posifour11

You're stuck now. You'll be chasing these things all over.

Trouty56

A brinley hitch is for rear attachments. The hitch is worth 60 - 70 bucks.

Sent from my phone........

Trouty56

Well I'm thinking clevis hitch but I'm thinking they are the same. Maybe.

Sent from my phone........

Tankman

Sure looks good to me, clean. Mower looks fine too. Good price!

Mowed many times with a very old 8hp Wheel Horse, never a problem.

Paint it pink for the Mrs., she'll like Horses won't she! :laughing-rofl:

WheelHorseSteve

With the tires that has... which appear wider / bigger than the standard B-100 tires... it looks more like a C series. In that condition with that deck, I'd say that $350 is a very fair to good price. The 10HP K241 is a very capable engine -- and that frame/platform is every bit as stout as the Cs (READ: it's the same)

B-100 Dan

Hi, and again, welcome to Red Square. I also mowed for many years with an 8hp Wheel Horse, never any trouble. But since you said it's a B100, you will LOVE IT. I would buy it for sure. It won't be your last. I've got a B-100, and would get rid of it...

KC9KAS

AKincer :WRS:

Your post heading said B-100 and I was wondering why you were talking about a B-80!

Both are good garden tractors, as they have (should have) the Kohler engines.

You are correct, this is the place for all your Wheel Horse needs.

Do a search for any question you have and see what you find.....May even find answers as to what we tell our wives when we purchase another GT and don't want them to know! :happy-partydance:

AKincer

Well I talked to the seller on the phone. He bought it for his kid to drive around the yard. He's never had the mower deck on it. He said it smokes pretty good at startup, but then goes away after 30 seconds or so. I fear it has a rebuild in its near future and I'm not ready to take that on right now. My infatuation with this particular tractor has ended, but I'm really worried that I'm going to keep looking! Thanks to all for all the help - you guys are great.

Rollerman

Don't let a little smoke scare you away.