Sign in to follow this  
Save Old Iron

Rustoleum rusty metal primer - interesting ...

Save Old Iron

from the Rustoleum FAQ site

Q Can I use Rusty Metal Primer on clean metal? A No. The fish oil that is in the primer needs to penetrate into rust to seal out air and moisture. If there is no rust, the oil will rise to the surface making adhesion of the finish coat difficult.

rmaynard

Something sounds a little fishy to me.

• Like 1

Ken B

I seem to remember getting some fish eye in the finish a time or two when I used the Rusty metal primer..... :eusa-think:

GlenPettit

I wonder; if you were use an etch or mild stripper on the surface of the Primer when it is dry, if that would remove the surface 'fish oil' ?

Not all of the deck or metal is rusty, just part of it, so that would be a problem on most of my projects.

I did do a deck, the underside, this past August, following directions, using this same primer, and the results still seem to be OK, no noticeable adhesion problems, so far anyway.

SousaKerry

I used it on my pulling hitch but it was rusty and it has sat outside since, and has not rusted yet? I didn't paint over top just left it in the primer

JackC

I would have assumed that it would be OK to use but what they say makes sense.

Problem is if only part of the metal object is rusty. Apparently, you would need to use two different Rustoleum primers.

At any rate, that is good to know.

855ownerJoel

Problem is if only part of the metal object is rusty. Apparently, you would need to use two different Rustoleum primers.

That or make it rust competely....JK

welderman85

i have used this on some stuff and had good luck so far no rust and some of the parts are outside all year i did top coat it though but no rust so far

Alan_Heist

I used it on a set of wheels that I flipped the center on to get a better off-set. However, after a couple coats of the red-oxide colored "Rusty Metal primer", I did the following with good results..

After applying the last coat of red, I waited 20-30 min, then applied a thin coat of grey primer, let dry for 30-45 min, then applied 2 light dust coats of color top-coat, then a thicker color top-coat as a final paint.

All were Rustoleum brand, and all had the directions to apply subsequent primer or top-coat paint within 1 hour. Both wheels turned out as good or better than expected, and no fish-eye in the paint.

I have given them exceptional dry-time prior to use, so as to be sure curing is achieved before I start mounting them on the axle and using them.

Tankman

That or make it rust competely....JK

After the primer dries, should one wash the part(s) before starting a finish coat of paint?

Perhaps, "Why paint the deck this year? We can clean up that deck when all the paint comes off." :laughing-rofl:

Save Old Iron

After the primer dries, should one wash the part(s) before starting a finish coat of paint?

Perhaps, "Why paint the deck this year? We can clean up that deck when all the paint comes off." :laughing-rofl:

I would allow the primer to dry completely, then scuff the surface of the primer to allow good adhesion of the top coat to the primer. After scuffing the primer, clean the primer with an isoprop alcohol wipedown. This action would remove scuff dust and clean any oil residue that may be left from the primer coat.

Combat Volcano

Not to raise this as a zombie, just doing an internet driveby: THIS IS 100% TRUE. 

I had unpainted steel rails, the filleted kind you get for making shelves. Galvanized.

I painted them with rusty metal primer right over the galvanization on them, no scuffing. Let it dry. It looked fine!

But once I sprayed enamel on them, the enamel cracked and spidered and wouldn't make an even coat on some parts of the metal. This is auto enamel (colormatch)

I am now trying some 'fresh from metal mart' cut-to-length mild steel strips, priming them with rusty metal primer first and letting dry and then I will try the enamel and report back.

These have absolutely no coating whatsoever - touching them leaves rust prints!

I can see that you guys like me are totally into a long-lasting rust prevention solution and I hope this works!

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Combat Volcano said:

Not to raise this as a zombie, just doing an internet driveby: THIS IS 100% TRUE. 

I had unpainted steel rails, the filleted kind you get for making shelves. Galvanized.

I painted them with rusty metal primer right over the galvanization on them, no scuffing. Let it dry. It looked fine!

But once I sprayed enamel on them, the enamel cracked and spidered and wouldn't make an even coat on some parts of the metal. This is auto enamel (colormatch)

I am now trying some 'fresh from metal mart' cut-to-length mild steel strips, priming them with rusty metal primer first and letting dry and then I will try the enamel and report back.

These have absolutely no coating whatsoever - touching them leaves rust prints!

I can see that you guys like me are totally into a long-lasting rust prevention solution and I hope this works!

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Galvanized steel should be cleaned with white vinegar before painting.  Perhaps you could do a sample along with your other strips.

• Like 1

Combat Volcano
6 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Galvanized steel should be cleaned with white vinegar before painting.  Perhaps you could do a sample along with your other strips.

Thanks! I wish i had any to test with, that's a good idea, i even have the vinegar. I'll still have the paint though so maybe i can find a scrap in storage and try it out.

Currently waiting for these rails to dry, then test fit, drill, ream, prime, etc... probably will have a result on these sunday :)

Combat Volcano
19 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Thanks! I wish i had any to test with, that's a good idea, i even have the vinegar. I'll still have the paint though so maybe i can find a scrap in storage and try it out.

Currently waiting for these rails to dry, then test fit, drill, ream, prime, etc... probably will have a result on these sunday :)

SATURDAY:

Yesterday, primed it one coat on the whole of it. Let it dry 24 hours exactly like it says, before adding more. Got it all drilled. Primed the drilled holes, touched up the one coat, now waiting another 24 hours.

Also: I am using this product incorrectly. This product is specifically intended to be sprayed ONTO RUST and what the product does is  form a NEW LAYER which is no longer an oxide layer, which can be painted. 

I AM DOING IT WRONG by putting it on bare steel! But! This is also the only primer I have and it's rustoleum so I'm going for it! I just want to make sure I do it exactly as instructed to try to get a good result.

I will also RINSE (not wipe) these rails with windex, and then water, and then air dry before putting on enamel.

If anyone is curious: I am making a fully custom roof rack to hold solar panels on a honda odyssey. The only way to do this is to build it yourself!

And since it's a high wind/high rain application, and I'm using rough steel, it has to be sealed and painted or it will just rust out/stain the whole vehicle.

I've been checking out what this forum is all about and there is some really amazing stuff here!!! I have a special place in my heart for discontinued and/or abandoned things.

Combat Volcano

So, I just sprayed on auto enamel and it worked just fine, except in ONE spot... I am not sure why that one spot decided to spider up, but whatever, I will touch it up with sandpaper and a new coat someday.

I want to again say: There is no point in using rusty metal primer on bare metal. Rustoleum makes other products which are much better suited to the application. Rusty metal primer is for rusty metal! Go figure.