Sign in to follow this  
ih674

Commando 7 Information

ih674

Now then, ive just today collected my new Wheel horse Commando 7. I have done a bit of research and posted on the VHGMC forum and found this is a fairly rare tractor.

I have got a picture and all the serial numbers as well as a few questions!!!

There is a belgium serial plate on the side below the commando 7 decal which reads

MOLDEL: 5-0621

SERIAL: 143069

But also inder the dash there is a US plate

MODEL: 1 3731

SERIAL: 550075

And then the GD Mountfield plate

SERIAL: 2117

My first question is why is there a US and a Belgium plate? Possibly because there were made in US and assembled in Belgium?????

And also could anyone give any information on these Commando 7's as there is very little reading availible about them.

Many Thanks,

James

post-9129-0-51789600-1355177202.jpg

Stormin

Hi James and welcome. I'm afraid I can't help with your queries, but where abouts in Cumbria are you?

ih674

Now then thanks for the welcome, im in Grange over Sands, where abouts in the county are you?

James

Stormin

T'other end. Between Silloth and Wigton. Pity we're so far apart.

Anglo Traction

Hi James, Good to have you aboard here. Congrats on the Horse aquisition.

Your serial numbers are for both The Tractor and a Mower Deck ( the latter starts with the 5-). So your Tractor was assembled in Belgium and the Deck imported from US.

As is often with Tractors built in Belgium, your Model number is spurious to the proper WH numbers. Nearest match is 1-3741 which is quoted as a Workhorse, but you have 7 inch wide wheels on yours, as opposed to 6inch wide rears.

What engine do you have in it?. Can you post the numbers ?.

Regards

Edited by Anglo Traction

ih674

Yea, thats what we get for living in the 3rd largest county :grin: .

Occasionally venture up that way (CT Haytons, national tractor run and farm sales etc)

I imagine you will come to the steam gathering?

James

ih674

Thanks for you reply anglo traction.

All those numbers i gave you were from the tractor its self, the deck has its own plate on it.

I willl get you the numbers from the deck and engine tomorrow, but the engine is a recoil start Kohler K161.

Thanks again,

James

TT

:WRS: , James!

Belgium-built units have their own numbering system and the key to deciphering those numbers has yet to be found.

A few years ago a Belgium-built 706 made it's appearance on the forum. Your Commando 7 looks like the offspring of the 706.

41a84608.jpg

702d4a72.jpg

25d8d996.jpg

9b6e6f91.jpg

Stormin

I imagine you will come to the steam gathering?

James

Not sure. May just visit one day. I'll be at the Heathersgill Vintage Rally. I help out at the auction.

Anglo Traction

Ok, just checked, and that Label 5- 0621 is for a 74 36" rear discharge Deck, so I don't know why it's there (won't fit easily?). So you should have a label on your deck with a Model number like 5-1361(1968) or 5-1362 (1969).

ih674

Hi, thanks for all the replies, ive got some more pics. Sorry for the poor quality but at least it shows the location of the plates. Its wierd how the "mystery" ones are not rivited????

Thanks,

James

post-9129-0-94229700-1355957568_thumb.jp

post-9129-0-46278000-1355957614_thumb.jp

post-9129-0-90307400-1355957637_thumb.jp

post-9129-0-74941800-1355957679_thumb.jp

meadowfield

James, welcome to the group!

Your tractor was one of the early knock downs sent in a crate to Belgium, the numbering scheme at the Amnor factory left a lot to be desired... I struggle to help people decode models and the right set of decals. Every model is different and rarely does the spec match the model plate. The earlier ones where 95% US sourced and shipped, and could indeed have been shipped with a model number - and then had another number added later - just to confuse things...

By the time the factory was winding up, more parts were sourced in Europe, i.e. seats, steering wheels. making them even more varied!

be good to see you at Flookburgh, we usually have 5 horses booked in :)

mark

btw my sons 1970 lawn ranger is a stick on model plate...

gwest_ca

What is the model number on the last picture?

Garry

ih674

What is the model number on the last picture?

Garry

Its on the mower bed, ill have a look at it and let you know today.

Thanks,

james

Anglo Traction

The Deck Plate look's like it reads 5-2361( or 2) which is a number superceding 1-1361/2. Date around '68' - '69'.

The Plates are actually self adhesive backed. When riveted, they didn't always remove the protctive backing. At least that is what I have found on mine.

meadowfield

Now you mention it... I've one on the shelf with brown paper backing :)