Sign in to follow this  
grnlark

What Would You do?

grnlark

So here's the situation...

A guy many miles away from me has a tractor for sale that I want (no its not a WH). We correspond via email for a day or so and finally talk on the phone. He says he wants $500, I offer $500, I send payment via PayPal in the amount of $500 which he confirms he recieves. I then coordinate with the freight company to ship it to CT (several thousand miles across the country). I complete all the paperwork and forward everything to the seller via email. He confirms everything arrives in fine order and all he needs to do is hand the paperwork to the frieght company when he drops it off (strapped to a skid which he fully agreed to do). Said tractor was supposed to be delivered to the terminal yesterday for shipment. I email the seller last night to see if he can provide the tracking number and he responds via email that he hadn't dropped it off because he recieved a higher offer on the tractor. Huh? He says he'll call me tonight to discuss, but if I want my $500 back he will glady refund me.

I pretty much have my game plan in my head of how I'm going to deal with this, but what are your thoughts? I don't know about anyone else, but I don't do business like this. There have been instances where I could have made more on a sale after agreeing to certain terms, but if I make a deal, its a deal.

I have to admit, this is the THIRD time in about 6 months this exact same thing has happened to me. In all my years of cars, guitars, jet ski's, you-name-it, the only group of people I have ever dealt with that act like children this way are tractor guys. I don't get. All for what? - an extra hundred bucks? Really? Are you that hard up for a hundred bucks?

Sorry for the rant - just disappointed about the tractor and baffled by the sheer lack of ethics and morals. I'm a firm believer in karma. Stuff like this catches up to people.

Edited by grnlark

KC9KAS

I agree with you....But please don't put all of us in that same catagory. the only group of people I have ever dealt with that act like children this way are tractor guys.

Kelly

I'd say give me my money back, and thanks for nothing, a deal is a deal and with money in hand it's a done deal.

• Like 2

grnlark

I agree with you....But please don't put all of us in that same catagory. the only group of people I have ever dealt with that act like children this way are tractor guys.

I figured it was a safe statement considering I'm a tractor guy too :)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I'd say a prayer and demand a refund asap.

midnight rambler

that is bs, i agree a deal is a deal, you paid for it, its your tractor call the police dept. that is theft in my eyes. money across state lines is a felony thats theft if you stated what you bought. check into it and best of luck

• Like 1

wallfish

Isn't it amazing that people will sell their honor so cheap? Is it really worth it?

That's being an a$$*0le if you already made the deal and even worse since he also accepted the cash.

rmaynard

It's too late now, but when dealing through Paypal you should have asked for him to send you an invoice. That way you would have had a legal document and federal interstate law would have been on your side. With Paypal, pay ONLY after receiving a Paypal invoice for anything like this.

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Jim_M

That's the problem with the world today, there's no honor, no sense of pride in how you treat other people, just greed and dishonesty.

• Like 2

wallfish

That's the problem with the world today, there's no honor, no sense of pride in how you treat other people, just greed and dishonesty.

Not all just greed and dishonesty. I've had the pleasure of dealing with many honest people and it's the few that make it horrible. I actually believe that most people are basically honest and do the right thing.

Matt probably has many deals that were completed with honest people but it's the one person that isn't which is the one that gets the most attention. 40:1 ain't too bad but even the 1 shouldn't happen.

• Like 1

fireman

Matt,

I don't think there's much you can do unless you have some type of bill of sale or contract. Some people are just dirt bags. If you really want the tractor, ask how much more he was offered and you'll have to play his game. If it's not a tractor you can't live without, call his bluff and tell him to refund your money immediately. It could just be a game of chicken to him. You may just to decide who flinches first!

Let us know what happens!

Edited by fireman

grnlark

So, the seller says he wants to put it on eBay and if Im intersted still I am welcome to bid on it. Amazing. This is after the deal was made and he was already paid. I paid via PayPal so Im not worried about the cash. Hes even documented in the PayPal dispute that I filed that he will be refunding the $500 without question. I hope his wife accidentally runs it over in the garage. People baffle me. Karma always gets the last word.

Jim_M

When it hits eBay be sure to let us all know the item number so we can boycott it.

• Like 2

CasualObserver

So, the seller says he wants to put it on eBay and if Im intersted still I am welcome to bid on it. Amazing. This is after the deal was made and he was already paid. I paid via PayPal so Im not worried about the cash. Hes even documented in the PayPal dispute that I filed that he will be refunding the $500 without question. I hope his wife accidentally runs it over in the garage. People baffle me. Karma always gets the last word.

Let me tell this story in what probably really happened..;) someone told him he sold it too cheap. He thought he'd bluff you into offering more money by saying that someone else offered more money, expecting you to offer more. You called his bluff... he didn't really have another buyer and now he's screwed and is hoping that he can do good enough on ebay to cover the original deal and the ebay fees.

I hope you at least watch for it. Maybe you'll get it even cheaper.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Zeek

I'd just get the money back from the AH and be done with it. If you don't get the money back, send me a PM, I may have some helpful information.

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 1

octfst

When it hits eBay be sure to let us all know the item number so we can boycott it.

I 2nd that. I wouldnt bid on that tractor no matter how bad I wanted it . a deal is a deal

Forest Road

I 2nd that. I wouldnt bid on that tractor no matter how bad I wanted it . a deal is a deal

Me too!

Wheelhorse84

I would create two accounts and bid it up to a ridiculous amount. Lol

• Like 3

grnlark

I would create two accounts and bid it up to a ridiculous amount. Lol

No comment. :)

can whlvr

i would win the bid and then not pay for it so he has to resell it it,i know thats not very nice but then he can get some of his medicine

Ken B

So what kind of tractor is it?

Coadster32

That sucks. At the very least, you'll get you cash back. Most people are honest, and it's easy to forget the 50 good deals and remember the 1 bad one. After all, good news doesn't sell a newspaper.

6wheeler

That really sucks. But if you can get your money back, I guess its just another one for the "chalk up to experience" list. I've had a similar thing happen. My brother made a deal on a Sebring convertable that we drove 4 hours to pick up. When we got there the guy says "well, I got an offer for $500 more than yours". "So, if you want to match it, its yours". My brother told him to keep it. But I had a few choice words for the a-hole before we left. And told him if he ever grows a brain to call us. He did. 3 weeks later. His other deal fell through and wanted to see if he still wanted it. Brother figured 2 guys at $20 bucks an hour plus gas = $400 less than his original offer and the guy had to meet us halfway and was to send the title "signed" by the seller before we would go. It worked. He has the car. It was a lesson learned for me. If I buy anything big on Ebay or Cr-list I ask for a bill of sale right away and so far I've always received one. Lesson learned...... Pat