Sign in to follow this  
Jake217

Engine Swap Warranted? – Need Advice

Jake217

Hey All,

I picked up a 1986 312A with a one armed FEL a couple of years ago and ended up putting the FEL on my C-165 8 speed (pictures already posted) because I did not think it was a good idea to run the loader on the 312A’s Eaton 700. Well sure enough, as soon as I started using the 312A as my worker, it was clear the Eaton 700 was weaker than it should be. I picked up an Eaton 1100 in great shape and threw it in the 312A and put in the hydro lift. So now it’s a 312H, I guess.

Here’s the problem… The Eaton 1100 is fantastic, but it just seems like it might be a little too much for the K301. The K301 runs great, but the engine just sounds like its working way to hard going up the slightest hills. I don’t think Wheel Horse every paired a 12HP with the 1100 and leads me to think I should put in a little more power.

My plan is to take the K341 out of the C-165 and solid mount it to the 312 ( I’ll replace the shaker cradle bushings with some steel blanks I have). I rebuilt the K341 last winter (doing an Onan P220g this winter) and it runs great. I’ll throw the K301 in the C-165 with the loader and solid mount that one as well. I don’t think the K301 will have a problem with the 8 speed and the FEL.

Here are my questions…

Am I worried too much about the K301 straining with the 1100 and should I just leave it in there? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Assuming I go forward with the engine swap, I know I need to move the rectifier and most likely the ignition switch from the C-165 as part of the swap due to the fact that my K301 has the dual stator and does not use a rectifier. Do I need to swap ignition switches as well? Am I going to have a problem with gauges, lights and any other electrical due to the different charging configuration?

Is there anything else I need to do that I’m not thinking about and should be?

Any and all help and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

leeave96

FWIW, the later model 312-H tractors with the Kohler Magnum 12 hp engines had the Eaton 11 (1100) tranny's in them.

SousaKerry

Not to mention that the C-125's had Eaton 11's in them also, and many had a long career. Mine ran fine until I lost a rod cap due to the previous owners failed rebuild. The 12HP I replaced it with had plenty of power but had a knock and I acquired a KT-17 II, so I swapped for MORE POWER, only thing i miss is fuel economy now.

But if it were me and the K301 is still running fine and not using oil or knocking I'd leave it in there.

ericj

check your pionts, timing could cause your motor to labor under a load. i had a 310-8 that did that just didn't the power it should have had. don't remmeber exactly what i did do but i know it was a combination of carb and timing and alittle govenor adjments. after i got it straightened out i was able to run a 48" deck under it with out a whole lot of trouble as long as i didn't let the grass get to far ahead of me. start with pionts and timimg and keep adj. to you get it were you wnt it. good luck

eric j

Jake217

Thanks Guys. I'm going to leave everything as is. Now I need to find another winter project. Shouldn't be to hard. Thanks Again.