Sign in to follow this  
jhunsch

Add on Grease fitting

jhunsch

Add on Grease fitting.

Picket up and older rider. When repairing the flats on the front I found it had no grease fittings on the front axle’s. I found that most front wheel rims are two part design that have a small space in-between and are welded together with a tube. So I just drilled a hole, turned in the grease fitting.

Reached in side the tube with the Dremel tool and cut a small slot so the grease can pass to the shaft and bushings.

Jeff

P1070489.jpg

• Like 1

Tankman

I'm a bit nutty on grease! Grease when I thinking 'bout something in my shop.

Mower deck spindles, deck wheels, front axles, trailer wheels. Can't hurt but, without it, your equipment will suffer quickly.

I also pay attention to front hub caps, the plastic/rubber front axle covers. At only $2.50 each, why use a cracked one?

Anyone ever use Bearing Buddies (http://www.bearingbuddy.com/index.html) on their WH front axles?

855ownerJoel

I just pull wheels at least once a year and clean up and add fresh grease. This is for my trailers also. I do have bearing buddies on my boat trailer but even with that i tear down and do complete clean up annually. I believe that you need to get the old grease out every so often and get things really freshened up. OK some have said I am a little overboard. To each their own!

Tankman

I believe that you need to get the old grease out every so often and get things really freshened up. OK some have said I am a little overboard. To each their own!

I with you on this one, PM (preventative maintenance) will pay you many dividends.

Kind of like fixin' it before it breaks! :-)