Sign in to follow this  
neil

need help now after floods have grounded all my horses

neil

Well some of you may know that i have had some real problems with floods here in uk last week

Most of my tractors ended up being partly submerged under water .

Today was the first day that i have been able to assess the damage .

three of my tractors will now not start . gt14 , C85 and my C121

I tried to start each of them and they all seem to have the same symptoms.

When i tried to start them all that would happen is the starter motor would spin over but nothing else. it wouldnt even crank the engine

I would say that all three tractors had the points & condenser under water but i would say that is all that got submerged as far as electrics go

I am now baffled as what to do next.

Any advise would be gratefully received

DSC03057.jpg

Edited by neil

Anglo Traction

Hi Neil, I was hoping that with no updates on your situation may have produced better news.

Depending how high the water reached, it may have got into the Stator plates behind the Flywheel as well. First thing to do is see if the engines turn over freely with the Plug removed. Then dry off,clean and check the Points. then see if you have a spark. (were the batteries submerged).

How quickly did the floodwater level drop back down?, as I believe it froze soon after the flooding which can also do damage.

Persevere with one at a time and let us know it's going.

Regards .

• Like 1

Stigian

Eeekkk!!! That's not sounding good Neil..

Can you turn the engines over by hand with the spark plug taken out? If not I'd guess some water has found it's way into the engines..

Then again it might be worth taking a starter motor off and have a look for signs of rust that could be jamming things up...

CRE1992

If the the starter spins, and does not engage the flywheel to turn the engine over, your bendix drive gear has most likely gotten stuck. So your going to have to free them up.

Before you tried to start them, you should of drained all oil and gas, then refill with new. Also pull the spark plug when you do try to start them after you get the starters freed up to seemingly pump out the water.

-Charles

buckrancher

sounds like rust is keeping the bendex from kicking the pinon gear forward to engage the flywheel ring gear

Brian

KC9KAS

In addition to what others have said, be sure to drain the differential/transmission, flush with kerosene and put fresh lube in.

Trouty56

Well the GT14 is an auto...guess the 121 could be too. maybe drain and refill with whatever you are running in the hydro systems...keep the kerosene out of them.

Wheel-N-It

sounds like rust is keeping the bendex from kicking the pinon gear forward to engage the flywheel ring gear

Brian

I agree with Brian on this. Neil be sure you have done all the other things we previously listed in another thread before trying to start your engines that were submurged.

neil

The symptoms that are showing would point to Brians theory , so im gonna try that first

One of my worries is that because i am so busy with the clear up here and also work customers are putting pressure on me to get their work done , i am struggling to get the time to do anything on the horses. Also the dark nights are here now so it doesnt leave me much time to do the work on the tractors .

My question is , will my problems get worse the longer it gets left or will the electrics dry out naturally or do i need to get them done right now. I am hoping weather permitting to be able to do something on Sunday .

Stigian

Morning Neil, for now I'd just spray lot's of WD40 about the place to help get rid of any moisture.. That should give you some extra time to get them sorted.

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Rust never sleeps. :chores-chopwood:

Wheel-N-It

Neil, Perform all the draining measures above, then if you have a dry heated place, keep a light coating of WD-40 on your Wheel Horses. Coat everything, contact points, coils, cables, all moving parts, all non moving parts including the paint.

If you can keep them in an area where there is some heat, the dry air will soak up the moisture the WD-40 is pushing out.

Lars

Neil..

was this salt or fresh water??

GlenPettit

Remember that WD-40 is a Water Dissident, (40th experimental sample), it cleans & helps remove water, it flushes out the dirt, oils & grease, protects metal from moisture, it is temporary and excellent for getting into tight spaces to flush out moisture, BUT, it does not lubricate. Be sure to grease and lubricate everything when they are dry for the long-term, especially the electrical parts (like, the starter worm gear). Good Luck,

stevasaurus

Neil, if you can not get them to crank, but you want to turn over the engine so it may start...you can pull a running tractor up to one that will not start (face to face) and line up the pulleys that are on the engines. Take a long fan belt and figure 8 it between the two horses...you need to figure 8 the belt so the engine is cranking in the right direction. Place in neutral with the key on and tension the belt enough to turn over the engine. (I can usually just push the two horses apart). This may at least get them started so you can move them. It beats pulling on a rope. :bow-blue:

How many tractors were in the water?

• Like 1

neil

Neil..

was this salt or fresh water??

Lars it was fresh water not salt

Steveasaurus

I have 3 tractors that need curing

my gt14

c121

c85

glgrumpy

Think I would move to higher ground or driveway (If any) and hit them with a hose to wash off the dirty flooding type gunk that will dry in places and be hard to get w/out tearing down first. Use compressor (if avail) and blow them off all over real good. Pull plugs, check oil dipsticks for water in engines. Guess WD40 might be good idea. Then if batts are up in charge, try turning them over. This is with plugs out. If no water in engine and gas tanks, would try to start. Think runnng and heating up would be good for them. Gas tanks under seats on any of these? If you have higher tanks, think the water stayed out if not much more than in pictures. Change oils if milky before running. Think water would have had to be up to the breather on side of engines to get water in them. I'ld bet auto rears are still sealed. The oil doesn't leak out, so how would water leak in?? Might be a breather point at top, but not sure water got that high??

neil

I would say that the flood water at its highest point reached about 3/4 inches ubove the bottom of the engine shroud which was not much higher that what you see in the top photo on the gt14.

i guess it stayed at that height for a couple of hours untill i woke up in the morning and shifted them.

On the c series tractors i guess the flood water came i little higher and these were only underwater for a couple of hours also. and the water reachedjust above halfway on the engine shroud,

I pretty sure that the carb didnt get submerged but it may have had water enter the carb from the lapping water wake whilst pushing them to higher ground .

There was no evedense of leaking oil or fluids from the trans box so i may have hit lucky on that one , but i still plan to drain the boxes down and refill,

I Plan to do some works on the tractors JUST AS SOON AS THIS *&%$^&?*$(% RAIN STOPS i have never seen so much rain as i have this year .

Every show that i planned to go on this year was rained out or cancelled due to rain

YEARS EVENTS

Ardingly show we got washed out and my partner had her Ipad & I phone submerged under water .

Great Dorset steam fair Washed out and got soaked to skin whilst wondring round show.

My Hometown local show Langport Steam extravaganza washed out & cancelled

Now ive been washed out of my own garden

I just hope next years weather brings something a little better

meadowfield

Neil,

ouch!!!! only just seen this, hope you managed to get them all to high ground.

re: starter, I've had the same issue, the steel bendix uses friction on a rubber damper to start and disengage. Years of sticking and abuse on my GT meant that rain water could easily get inside and it either sticks closed, or when it does engage the water means theres no friction and it spins...

mark

Stigian

Fingers crossed for you Neil that no water went in the carbs.. The air filter/box will both of helped stopping water heading the wrong way..

Sounds like you've had a hell of a wet year, here's hoping that next year will be drier for you.