Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

4 Pinion Tranny & 1" Axle Questions

leeave96

Back in 1998 when I bought new my trusty 314-8 (a left over '97 model), there was also on the show room floor a 312-8 tractor. As I recall, aside from the 14 vs 12 hp engines, the only other difference was 8 vs 4 pinion tranny - with the 312-8 having the 4 pinion.

My question is - how strong and durable is the 4 pinion tranny as compared to the 8 pinion and 10 pinion tranny?

Also - some Wheelhorse tractors have 1-1/8 dia axles and others had 1 inch dia axles. I am pretty sure the 312-8 had the 1-1/8 axles, but I am pretty sure I saw a much older 312-8 with 1 inch axles and perhaps a 4 pinion tranny.

My question is - were the 1 inch axles ever used with the 8 pinion tranny's or just with the 4 pinion axles.

Lastly - are the 1-1/8 inch axles really stronger than the 1 inch axles - if so, why?

If not moldboard plowing, any reason to avoid the 4 pinion tranny or 1 inch axles? What about for any other chores than mowing?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Bill

Trouty56

Lots of questions there...I know the 1 inch axles were used on the early 8hp models and the B-100 hydro and maybe the 1100 Workhorse. Probably a few other early 10hp models too. The 1 1/8 inch axle has almost 30 percent more mass than a 1 inch axle even though it is only 1/6 inch larger in diameter so strength-wise...yeah...a lot stronger. 4 pinions vs. 8-10 pinions....one of the puller guys could tell you more about that and why....well...other members also could explain it ....

Duff

Most if not all of the 312-8's came through with the 1" axles. Not sure of the pinion count, but the ones I've had open from 312's were four pinion. There's been quite a bit of discussion in the past here about the relative strength of the various transmissions; the bottom line seems to be that any of the 8-speeds will hold up very well if kept maintained and shifted properly. I haven't heard of anyone blowing up a tranny using the normal ground engaging implements as designed. Pulling tractors are subjected to a lot more stress than "regular" machines, and even some of those folks run 1" axles and 4 pinion trannies without problems. They're pretty darned tough units!

Duff :thumbs:

• Like 1

kpinnc

I moldboard plow nearly every spring with my 310-8, and have had no problems whatsoever. From hard, red clay to whatever else.

muledrive205.jpg

Rumors persist, but I have never seen any combinations of 8-pinions with 1.00 inch axles, nor any 1.125 axles with 4-pinion. Some say they exist, but you stand a better chance of finding a geniune picture of Sasquatch than one of these.

There aren't any published "capabilities" on these trannies, but you have nothing to fear, regardless of pinion count. Even the "weaker" 4-pinion is still a rugged unit, far more so than anything still produced in this size today.

Obviously, the 8-pinion with 1.125 axles is the biggest they made- but the smaller versions are still quite hefty.

• Like 1

leeave96

I moldboard plow nearly every spring with my 310-8, and have had no problems whatsoever. From hard, red clay to whatever else.

muledrive205.jpg

Rumors persist, but I have never seen any combinations of 8-pinions with 1.00 inch axles, nor any 1.125 axles with 4-pinion. Some say they exist, but you stand a better chance of finding a geniune picture of Sasquatch than one of these.

There aren't any published "capabilities" on these trannies, but you have nothing to fear, regardless of pinion count. Even the "weaker" 4-pinion is still a rugged unit, far more so than anything still produced in this size today.

Obviously, the 8-pinion with 1.125 axles is the biggest they made- but the smaller versions are still quite hefty.

Does your 310-8 have 1 inch axles and a 4 pinion tranny?

That's some mighty fine plowing your doing there and a BIG garden too. I don't see any wheel weights, can't tell if you have ag tires. What gear/range to you plow? How do you disc or till-up after the moldboard plowing later? Sorry to take my post off topic a bit... :)

gwest_ca

Curiosity got the best of me.

1988 516-H used a 700 Eaton and 4-pinion differential with 1-1/8" axles.

1990 310-8 model 31-10K801 serial numbers 11752, 11753, 11754 and 11755 got a 110995 transmission with 1-1/8" axles that normally has 8 pinions and these only got 4 pinions.

1994-2001 312-8 models 73362, 73363, 73428 and 43429 have 1-1/8" axles and 4 pinions.

1985-1989 312-8 models have 1" axles and 4 pinions

1990-1993 312-8 models have 1-1/8" axles and 8 pinions except the export models

Garry

kpinnc

Does your 310-8 have 1 inch axles and a 4 pinion tranny?

Yes it does. And no, I don't use weights in the back. I have however found my suitcase weights very helpful to my steering though. And no ag cleats on this tractor, though I have used them previously. So long as the soil is dry enough not to stick to the tires, the aggressive turf tires work best here:

DSC00686.jpg

What gear/range to you plow? How do you disc or till-up after the moldboard plowing later?

I plow in high 2nd. Any slower and the sod won't "roll", it just falls back into the furrow. After plowing, I use my rear tiller to soften things up further. Finally, I use a cutivator with fairly wide shovels to lay off my rows. It's the most fun I have all year long with my tractors.

Curiosity got the best of me.

1988 516-H used a 700 Eaton and 4-pinion differential with 1-1/8" axles.

1990 310-8 model 31-10K801 serial numbers 11752, 11753, 11754 and 11755 got a 110995 transmission with 1-1/8" axles that normally has 8 pinions and these only got 4 pinions.

1994-2001 312-8 models 73362, 73363, 73428 and 43429 have 1-1/8" axles and 4 pinions.

1985-1989 312-8 models have 1" axles and 4 pinions

1990-1993 312-8 models have 1-1/8" axles and 8 pinions except the export models

Garry, where are you getting this info? My curiosity is getting to me with this info as well...

Kevin

gwest_ca

Have to go through the parts lists. Not many show quantities but the Toro Master Parts Viewer does. At one time I tried to list the transmission in each model and how many and type of pinion gear with the axle diameter. It's in the 1st Yahoo Manuals Group Database.

Garry

stevebo

Guys-

I recently picked up a 312-8 with a broken rear axle. It has the 1 inch rear axle with 4 pinion. I have a few spare 4 speed trannies. Are the axles interchangeable from the 4 speed to the 8 speed? I am not even sure if the axles on the 4 speeds are 1 inch or 1 1/8. What I need to get this tractor back together is a 1 inch axle and a 1 inch hub. Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks !!

stevasaurus

SteveBo...the 4 speeds are 1" and should be interchangeable with what you are trying to do.  The only thing to look out for in your case is the length of the axle. Some of the 4 speeds (like for the camando) had longer axles because of the fenders.  You should be able to measure how much axle is sticking out of the trans casing...it is only like an 1" difference.  I want to say 10 5/8 or 11 1/2 total length of the axle...3 to 4" sticking out. :)

stevebo

Steve- the tranny that will be the donor is from a 701. Any thoughts on the length of those?

stevasaurus

Steve...those are all the same for the uni-drive 3 speeds...I think like 10 5/8"  Your 8 speed...I am not sure what that length is.  If you measure what is sticking out, it should tell you...the castings are the same on the outside.  Racinfool40 has spare axles for your 8 speed if in doubt that are correct...can have it in 3 days...maybe 2.

stevebo

Thanks !