Rock farmer

This just came my way

post-8342-0-39542700-1354465459_thumb.jp

post-8342-0-04172000-1354465477_thumb.jp

post-8342-0-82609100-1354465494_thumb.jp

post-8342-0-12517300-1354465512_thumb.jp

TT

It's not hard to figure out where the original fender went. :eusa-whistle:

Those 'Tupperware' fenders were definitely a bad idea..... and we all know who was in charge of Wheel Horse when they appeared. :silence:

• Like 2

Kelly

Ya the fenders are now on a black hood someplace, but I never seen a set of plastic ones on a older tractor, they are even uglier than on the C-xx5 tractors.

• Like 2

Rock farmer

My brother got this for me.

It was on its way to the scrap metal dealer.

He paid $30 for it.

Funny thing is that seat pan was good, when loading it into the truck the the po slipped and the tractor hit on the head!

What do you guys think of that Briggs?

Joe

Sparky

Ya the fenders are now on a black hood someplace, but I never seen a set of plastic ones on a older tractor, they are even uglier than on the C-xx5 tractors.

Yep. black-hoods are my favorite's minus the nasty fenders. I have swapped all mine to metal ones off a 300 series.

Some people love those Briggs motors and some hate em. Its probably a good motor, better than a Tecumseh any day!

Mike..........

• Like 1

TT

I have nothing bad to say about the Briggs engine. :confusion-shrug:

You will need to make sure that the bearing behind the engine pulley is intact and functioning correctly.

Service bulletin 326b: http://www.wheelhors...ing-preloadpdf/

Without that bearing, the crankshaft gets forced into the flywheel side of the block when the PTO is engaged. I have actually seen one smear the block so bad that oil couldn't get to the main journal and the crankshaft seized in the block.

• Like 1

sgtsampay

Very nice fine and I think those old briggs engine are just as good as the Kohler. They are lighter in weight and not as much torque but they are good for wat they are. Way better than a tec in my book.

• Like 1

rick

i have one, and I like it. the short block had been replaced on mine, and has a ball bearing on the flywheel side of the crankshaft. I did not use the external bearing when I rebuilt the engine. No problems yet. The exhaust port threads on mine were boogered up from the factory exhaust shaking, so I used B&S 691874 muffler and 795036 deflector. This muffler bolts directly to the block, and the deflector shoots the exhaust out the right side. Works for me, and no louder than the OEM setup.

• Like 1

Rock farmer

So, I went to put a battery in and unfortunately, it was dead.

It was on the charger most of the day.

When it was charged I got nothing. I'll look into it later.

I did check the brake pad on the tranny and the pad on the pto clutch

Neither is worn! However, the rubber engine mounts are shot!

The engine rocks about an inch or more when I move the pto lever.

Hopefully it never ran like that.

The drive pulley looks good so I'd say the bearings are there and good.

It has too much oil in it. It didn't smell like gas. But I'd say this hasn't run in five or ten years!

And I took that seat pan off! It'll be in the dumpster tomorrow!

Joe

Racinbob

I bought a GT-1100 with a Briggs motor figuring when it blew I would put a Kohler on it. I stuck a 48" deck I had on it and was amazed how well it did. I still prefer Kohlers but that Briggs was a great motor.

• Like 1

welderman85

nice save i have a 11hp briggs in a work horse it is a good motor.not as much power as a kohler but good motor

Doubletrouble

Why is everyone so hard on the tec. motors? I have one in my '71 workhorse and have had no trouble with it. It's only an 8hp so I dont expect alot out of it but it does more than an 8hp should as far as I'm concerned.

I also have a c-111, the briggs is ok< i need to give it some attention though before I can be to judgemental of it.

• Like 1

rydogg

Keep oil in that Briggs and it will last as long any other wheel horse engine...I sold one to a friend and got it back after his wife forgot to put oil in it and put a nice "window" in the block I used it before selling it to him and it started easily and ran great. Teckys are a great engine in my opinion, I have a few horses with 6hp teckys 604,653 the 604 has a belly grader and I have used it to move many loads of gravel and it will push a pile until it is rolling over the back of the blade and not miss a beat and usually starts on the first pull they sometimes need a carb adjustment but if used and taken care of they usually don't.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

No matter if you ever get it running or not, you did a good thing by saving it. That thirty dollars was well spent. I would have done the same thing.

• Like 2

leeave96

I had a couple of C-111 tractors. Kind of wish I had kept them. The briggs engine is strong and very easy to start, but mine vibrated a lot - to the extent it would work the air cover off the air cleaner. The aluminum block make the front end lighter in weight and the tractor was a dream to steer. The tranny is an 8 pinion and has 1-1/8 inch axles. Mine had a 36 inch rear discharge deck and gave the best cut of any tractor I have owned. They are a good tractor for the $$$'s in my opinion.

• Like 2

Jake Kuhn

Nice looking horse! :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Rock farmer

Charged up a battery and put it in the tractor.

Nothing!

Jumped the starter.

Nothing!

So, I took the starter out. Will bench test it tomorrow.

Rock farmer

Bench tested the starter. And it worked!

I think I'll still dis-assemble and clean it though.

Rock farmer

Update;

Finally got around to taking the starter apart.

I never seen a starter magnetic brake and come loose!

Anybody ever glue one together before?

I've got some west system two part apoxy.

What have I got to lose!

Joe

post-8342-0-85028600-1355883116_thumb.jp

rydogg

It's worth trying...they usually get knocked loose like that by someone hitting the starter. I have a starter from my C111 that has the mounting bracket broken off but the rest is good you can have it if it will help you out PM your address and I can send it out this week.

• Like 1