Sign in to follow this  
JimD

What's a guy to do?

JimD

It occurred to me this morning that I rarely post a question to the forum about my tractors. While I have been blessed with enough knowledge and mechanical ability to keep mine going pretty well, there is one major problem with this. They never break down. (Knocking on wood as I type this) Oh sure, I have to clean the carb and change a plug and clean or change points now and then, but the only time I really wrench on one is if I'm dismantling it for cleaning and a refresh paint job. So I revel in all the threads about you guys fixing this and that, rebuilding transmissions and engines and such.

I have rebuilt one transmission and have been into two others to check them out. I do have a C-85 with a transplanted OH140 Techy that smokes a bit but runs great and does the snow plowing here now. More power than the old B-60 that used to do that job. That leaves me with a k181 which smoked so bad my neighbor thought my garage was on fire one day and came over to see if I was ok. :ROTF: I now have that engine on the bench and torn down. I need to mic the bore to see if it needs bored, which my boss has the capability of ding at his own shop. he said bring it over some Saturday and we'll do it. He's never done one before, but the guy is a CNC wizard. So at some point I hope to get further into this and actually complete an engine. There's no rush other than me running out of gas or time and health because all my tractors are functioning fine. The rebuilt engine would then be ready to change out to do another one if needed.

So I guess the question is, have you been fortunate as I have with your Horses? Tell your stories guys. :)

Edited by JimD
  • Like 2

rmaynard

My tractor with the most longevity for me is my original 1977 B-100. Owned it since 1993. Like you Jim, I have never had to do anything other than routine maintenance. So, that being the case, I am working as I type on the K161 for my 701. Here again, this engine looks as though it has rarely been used. Had the bore spec's and it just needed a honing to break the glaze, and I am putting in new rings right now.

My biggest dilemma at the moment is, do I paint the block and then reassemble, or do I reassemble and then paint the block? :scratchead:

• Like 1

squonk

I had a 90 210-H. I know a lawn tractor. I bought it new and it came with a blade and chains. I got an Allis/Simplicity blower for it after the Super storm of 93 and made it fit. I mowed blowed plowed and pull down small trees with it. It never broke. Besides belts I had to repair the steering drag link once and replace an alternator diode. That's it in 20 years. :bow-blue: Sold it 2 yrs ago.. :scratchead:

• Like 1

can whlvr

i bought my 308 new from our local dealer,it had a 42 side dis deck on it,i mow a couple of acres and over time it was too much for the 8hp magnum,so one dy she blew an auxilary port in the block,you know the type that says shes now a boat anchor,so i put a honda on her,blew that one up because the air filter was not on tight,then i ripped the rear end apart by letting the old girl freeze in the mud and ice,i thought id just let the clutch out and she would break free,or the belt would slip,guess what the belt doesnt slip and i destroyed the pinions and axle gears,then after a complete rear rebuild(new bearings,seals,and gasket )i repainted her,so shes had her share of wrenching,but i still have her and its allways been my go to tractor,it will do anything any time,so no regrets

• Like 1

bmuone

I bought my first wheel horse 417a in very good condition. My second was a 211-4 not so much in good condition. My third was another 211-4 again not so much in good condition. My fourth and last to date was a c175 in fair condition. I am 63 years old and these wheel horse tractors are really my first major dealings with engines and tractor parts. I stripped one 211-4 down to the last bolt, cleaned and repainted. Rebuilt the carb and it is running as good as a new one. I am working on the hydraulics on the c175 right now and that is another new thing for me. I have four grand kids and each will get one tractor. I say all this to say that these tractors are great little treasures to share and they really keep you busy and educate yourself on how to's. RedSquare is the best teacher on the how to's and thanks to all who post here. And thanks to Vinylguy who just supplied me with the decals for a wh cart I came across and redid.

• Like 2

Tankman

'68 Raider 12, original except paint and decals from the Vinylguy.

A few patches welded on the 48" deck otherwise runs and works great.

Surprised my '73 "No Name" 12 hp automatic with an electric PTO runs excellent but, don't know if the deck is original. Fine machine. Curious 'bout the deck, I have five, the deck on the '73 doesn't have grease fittings(?).

My problem is patience. I seldom wait long enough for paint to dry before usin' the Stallions. I thinking of handcuffing myself to the well pipe, far from the herd after any painting. :-)

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I was just thinking...............................

I have a 1990 Chevrolet Suburban I bought brand new. I brought my first Wheel Horse (312-8)home with it (on a trailer) in 1991.

Today I brought my 416-8 home driving the same Suburban pulling the same trailer.

Some things never change.

• Like 1

sgtsampay

My first wheel horse was a 211-5 and I used it for lots of mowing. Then I wanted to blow snow so I got a snowblower for it. I had it all decked out with chains, weight, and lights but then I received a deal on a tractor from Mr. Duane. He had a 1984 gt1600 that needed a new home. I also picked up a single stage snowblower and small tractor can. The rest is history. I have since restored the tractor and replaced the old tired 16hp briggs with a diesel for one year and then later a nicely rebuilt kohler k301. I plan to her a b-80 next year and a plow so I can then make a killer plowing tractor.

Anyway, overall I have not had any troubles with my tractor. I used it in my small commercial landscaping operation and I'm not the easiest on it, but she still keeps on a going. I think wheel horse are very rugged and simple in design and I'm honored to be able to own one.

• Like 1

whc160

I got my 75 C-160 1st. Have only done the routine maintenance to it. It used to mow, till, plow garden, & snow. I now only mow & use the blower on it. The 76 tills & plows snow. The 74 plows the garden & fills in where needed. Fortunately the most major thing the 74 & 76 needed was the trans reinforcement plate. The 77 I picked up form Kelly also has no major problems.

Stigian

I have been very lucky with my 312-8..

Ok, it might of changed shape and weight over the years, but bar a knackered battery and a broken drive belt it has never let me down no matter how much abuse hard work I ask of it..

On the other hand my little Raider 10 has given me nothing but problems over the years.. It's been through so many engines and is still giving me problems.. I can tune it and it runs perfect for the day... The next day it will be running like a bag of bolts again!! :no:

How well my 6X6 will do will be er... interesting.. I do expect the odd breakage/bent bit along the way. :lol:

• Like 1

leeave96

Maybe when I retire or by some miracle get some consistent spare time, I'll very much enjoy tearing into these engines and tranny's - as well as full-up restorations, but for now my favorite things are just operating the Wheelhorse tractors and some of the lesser maintenance/upgrades like tires, wheel weights and lately foot control kits.

• Like 1

Duff

Got my first 312-8 (the one in my Avatar) five years ago and could have just started using it, as all it needed was a good cleaning and fluids changed. But it was late in the year and I wanted to learn more about how these machines were put together and how to work on them (like a lot of folks here, I don't have the money to pay for many repairs). So I put it in my workshop and over the winter did a full frame-off rebuild [not restoration - I'm not that good!]. It's now my main mowing machine with a 37" SD deck.

312-8 #2 came three years ago from a member in Massachusetts. It was very rough but the price was right and #1 had taught me how easy it is to work on and rebuild these machines, so that was another winter's project. Members here and Joe's Outdoor Power got me all the parts, advice and guidance I needed. That now has a grader blade on it and ags all the way around. She's a real worker!

310-8 #1 came from a member in NY last fall, and I've since learned it has a lot of history with another member here. Although in very good shape when I got it, I still touched up/replaced a few things, mostly cosmetics. My wife has adopted this horse as her pride and joy, and she uses it as her personal ATV even though I do have a nice 42" deck for it if I can convince her that it was really meant to work for a living........

310-8 #2 with 42" deck will be arriving later this month from the same NY member. This machine is a one-owner and aside from a few minor cosmetic issues is represented to be a really nice original machine. I'll respect that pedigree and not tinker with it unnecessarily. I expect I'll move the 37" SD deck from 312-8 #1 to this one and put one of the 42" decks on the 312.

Still in the offing is the "mystery build". I've managed to acquire (including a complete 520 swept front axle and gear reduction steering set-up) everything but an engine and some 8" front rims to put it together. The final result is, as they say, still a "mystery"!

Duff :thumbs:

Edited by Duff
  • Like 2

ericj

I can't aford high dollar machines, so i usually buy machines that are in need of repairi have over the years have had several kohlers rebuilt, fixed alot of wiring problems and replaced alot of parts. i had a freind who just past away in may who was 97 years old he did alot of work for me in the begining,but i learned to do more and more my self as i went along. i try to get my tractors mechanicly sound and all back as should be then i don't have much problems with them after that. if they make me too mad they get sold or parted out, but that don't happen to much i generally only sell to make room for another, but i'm finding it harder to let them go but i am seriously getting out of room. would like to find a enclosed trailer to store 6 or 8 tractors in and then be ready to go to a show on a moments notice hopefully one day anyways

• Like 1

JimD

It seems like a lot of us have similar stories about fixing our own tractors as much as possible. It's nice that they were designed in a way that makes them so easy to work on.

Crown Vic P71

My neighbor gave me his c125 I have had to replace 3 of the 4 hydro hoses as well as the selector valve for the hydraulic arm for tthe deck lift. I also had to take the valve apart and remake the gaskets for it as they were bad. I also had to take the carb apart to fclean and found out I need a new fuel filter. Pretty fortunate not not have any major rebuilds but my neighnor rebuilt the engine a few years back so I dont have to worry about that. The hydro problem too kforever to get it working like it is not and hope it stays as it is!

Tankman

Early 70's newer home with almost two acres. Purchased my first "thingy", Craftsman.

A friend stopped by, I showed him my "tractor." He couldn't stop laughing.

He left water runnin' from his eyes, laughing insanely.

He returned in short order with a pickup load of what looked like "junque." My first Wheel Horse. Forget what model but had a pull start, Briggs I think, and a rear discharge mower. All in awful shape but free.

A sheetmetal foreman at the time, I made every part I could, 316 SS. Including the mower deck. Our machine shop reproduced lots, all 316 SS. Northern Hydraulics shipped me a new engine, belts, whatever. A magnet wouldn't stick to most of this little Red Stallion! But, we needed a Parker or Jackson sweeper, didn't we?

Paint shop painted all WH red. Sold the Craftsman, never went back.

Joined Rough 'N Tumble in Kinzers, PA. I really needed the '32 Farmall, didn't I? My boys 'n I could fit in on my Eager Beaver 20 ft. trailer (shhhhhhhhh, quiet, didn't tell the Mrs. I bought the trailer to get the Farmall home), anyway we needed it. TD (tractor disease) was settin' in. We're siccos! Had to install a wider gate to get out back, the gang reel set was too wide. Fixed that in a jiffy! Red is for the blood we shed so, for the WHG (Wheel Horse Gang) I purchased in '73, a demo from Ford in KC. Red (of course) F-250 Super Cab, 11,100 GVW, 10 ply tires on 17" split rims, "needed it" for the tractors. The Super Cabs went public in '75 after they saw mine! Wanted a crew cab but, those only had 6 ft beds at the time. I really, really, really needed the Super Cab to take the Stallions out for a ride once in awhile. Of course I did!

Had to sell a trailer load of Maytag gasoline washing machine motors to "finance" these problems. Of course the Mrs. understood. Or, did she?

Traveled, owning homes in AZ, Florida Keys, wherever. No tractor 'cause I hired some gorgeous gals to keep the grounds trimmed nice, I liked watchin' them work. Should have put a Beer Meister on the patio for the crowds watching my lawn bein' trimmed.

Retired early, decided to take over the landscaping myself at my "new barn." I needed some equipment didn't I? Found a '68 Raider 12 last summer, back to the Herd. Month later, tripped on a '73 no name automatic, 12 hp. Both were fixed up, working beautifully. Not funny but I'm down to my last two backpack blowers too!

Then, a freebie, '88 414-8 with deck 'n plow. HH (Herd Hobby) again. Havin' fun.

That little job almost done, is now. Nothin' to do but oil, grease 'n clean. WHD (Wheel Horse Disease) set in.

Another, almost free, shed find, a '85 416-8. WHI (Wheel Horse Insomnia) set in.

Need a trip to the paint shop, decals ordered, belts, more gear lube. Needed the fourth Stallion 'cause I have four weed whackers, didn't I?

I just spent an hour loading a plastic bag at Lowes with more stainless steel hardware, WHC (Wheel Horse Crazy). My four kids, late 30's and mid 40's, love the memories. Those darn boys of mine! Talk all the time 'bout doin' wheelies on my Horses! Love 'em.

Merry Christmas Y'all! Remember, Wheel Horse Parking Only, All Others Will Be Mown Out Of The Way (or over).

Grandson is takin' over (behind my bank barn). Wants drivin' lessons. And, "I need them NOW Pop-Pop!"

P.S.: A friend has a produce stand, think he's overcharging me! I better get some implements, plow, cultivator, disks, spreader, maybe a roller for my gravel drive. I'll show him the manure pile! I'll still buy his eggs (the foxes and my mini-Schnauzers got my Rhode Island Reds). Gotta run out now, need some more Brasso for my WH baby moons.

• Like 2