Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

8 Speed Toughness Question

leeave96

Anyone ever busted an 8 pinion - 8 speed tranny with 1-1/8 inch axles in your Wheelhorse pulling with it?

Reason I'm asking is that for whatever reason when I am moldboard plowing with my 314-8, 3rd gear low range is just a tad to slow to "throw" the sod/dirt over and I'm tempted to try some high-range gears to get a better speed/results.

I'd hate to damage the tractor moldboard plowing in hi-range 1st gear or better.

Thanks!

Bill

can whlvr

put her in high range and plow away,they are built to work,just keep the oil clean and full and shes good to go

gcole

On my c-120 I plow hi first with no problems

baerpath

We pull in third high all the time.20+hp @ 4500rpm dump clutch while hooked to a 7000lb transfer sled.running 26-12-12 pulling tires. And yes we have busted them

Bottom line plowing in high range ain't gonna hurt it,

Tankman

Plowed with some old WH's. Never a tranny problem.

I want to add, using 85 w 140 gear lube. :-)

leeave96

We pull in third high all the time.20+hp @ 4500rpm dump clutch while hooked to a 7000lb transfer sled.running 26-12-12 pulling tires. And yes we have busted them

Bottom line plowing in high range ain't gonna hurt it,

That's a great point - if the pullers aren't routinely breaking the tranny with high hp engines, some moldboard plowing ought not to hurt it either.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Bill

pumper.atv

i plow with the b100 in high even 3rd high but usually 1high

kpinnc

I plow rock-hard red clay in high second with no problems. I've actually used my 310-8 (with the "lighter" 8-speed) more often than the 8-pinion, and never had any problems. Just check all your hub's setscrews to be sure they are tight beforehand.

Worst complaint I can say I've ever had was that I smoked an older, worn-out drive belt on occasion. Of course, that was my fault for not setting the plow up correctly. It was cutting too deep and it buried itself, so it was my own fault.