Sign in to follow this  
SW Mich

520 H

SW Mich

I am brand new and have just purchased a 520 H. When going in reverse it barely moves. I raised the seat and watched the shifter move as I lowered the reverse lever and the shifter did not move all the way to the end. It looks like there is an adjustment in the rod that will solve this but wanted to check with you guys before I screwed this up. B)

HorseFixer

B) Welcome to Red Square SW Mich. I dont have one of those and cant help ya much :whistle: Is your fluid full? B) I would say it may be an adjustment someone will be able to help you here.

Cheers Duke

nylyon

First things first. Taks off the covers check for grass build up which may be locking the linkage from moving fully. Also check all connection for roll pins which may have backed out and lubricate all connections. Do not lubricate the friction surfaces on the transmission itself.

Usually if it is really slow in reverse, it would be too fast in forward, of course without the experience, you wouldn't know what too fast really is.

hodge

Yes, mine also is slower in reverse than forward. They are designed that way. If you go on the Toro webdsite and look up your model, I believe it will give you the maximun speeds in forward and reverse.

The hydro takes some getting used to, but I like it. I still enjoy the 8 speed, and would probably say that I prefer it, but the hydro does the job, and I don't have to use the brake pedal. A lot of my mowing is on hills, and ultimately, the hydro is easier to control. Hopefully, nothing is wrong with yours- you just need to get acclimated to it.

B)

hodge

Man, I can't spell. My wife was watching over my shoulder, and made me nervous... :imstupid:

eurekagreg

I had a similar problem on my 520H. Lift the seat to get access to the cam plate. Remove the tension nut & washer from the cam plate. Look for a buildup of debris around the threads. I had a solid build up of about 1/4" of debris in this area. Pick out the debris with a small screw driver and then check to see if you have full motion of the linkage.

Hope this helps.

Just Piddling

B) If you raise the seat, look at the linkage plate. The long slot that looks somewhat like a "v", there is a cam that rides in the slot. Loosen the 1/2" bolt and turn the cam. This should get you to full reverse, but it will lose some of the forward stroke. The next step would be the linkage you mentioned before. You most likely will have to adjust both to keep your neutral also. There is a fine line to get it perfect. Just jack up the rear to fine tune and be safe.

TT

B) ummmmmmm, Chris....

That's the neutral adjustment. That isn't used to adjust the F-R speed bias.

Just Piddling

That might be why it took me so long to adjust mine B) Sorry for the bad info, but to get full movement f-r I had to tweek it.

Teddy da Bear

Welcome to the Forum SW Mich! I am in Niles of course.

Man, I can't spell. My wife was watching over my shoulder, and made me nervous
Hodge you still missed two words... B)