Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

3 speed trans

Kelly

I'm preping a 3 speed from a 656 to go in my rat tractor, and I noticed a hole in the front of the case, looking at the trans from the front the upper left mounting hole, just to the right of it, is a hole, I thought that is where the detent spring and ball is suppose to go B) , but I looked at another 3 speed from a 656 and it has the same hole with nothing in it????? :whistle:

Is it suppose to have something in it?? looking at the parts diagram, the ball and spring and another piece goes there.

I don't have any other 3 speeds out to look at, Any help would be great

TT

That's the access hole for installing/compressing the detent balls, spring, and pin.

The 2-3 fork goes in first, (rear hole - detent notches facing forward and in the neutral position) then you install one detent ball, the spring and pin, and the second detent ball. Once you fight with those 4 pieces and get them in the proper location between the shift fork pin holes, insert a small drill bit or long skinny punch through that hole in the front of the case and push everything back into the hole so you can install the R - 1 shift fork assembly. Once you get the shift fork pin inserted in to the punch, keep pressure on it while you slowly pull the punch back out.

If all goes well, the shift fork pin will slide down by the detent ball and nothing will fall to the bottom of the hole. B)

Kelly

Thanks Terry, but I'm not opening the trans up just new seals, and oil, should I plug that hole?? or leave it open?? I know the frame mount is right there but....

TT

It probably wouldn't hurt to put a dab of sealer in the end of the hole, Kelly.

It's only open in to the R - 1 shift fork pin, but keeping dirt and water out is a good idea regardless. B)

sorekiwi

None of the ones I've seen have had a plug in this hole Kelly. I've always been tempted to wipe some silicon in there, or even spin up a little plug to go in there, but never have. Never seen an oil leak I could put down to that hole either...

Curmudgeon

Funny, every tranny I worked did have a plug in that hole. Don't know the part number right off hand, but it costs something like 17 cents. Pretty cheap way of keeping the crud out.

TT

P/N 1243 is the cup plug listed for a 2007 Classic.

$1.98 at PartsTree. B)

Kelly

Dab of sealer it is, I'm putting it together, so no time for an order.

CasualObserver

:whistle: $1.98 for that little bastard plug? Sheesh! I've only ever opened three trannys and I just used a dab of all purpose silicone too. B)