Sign in to follow this  
fireman

Another wild and crazy build about to begin!

fireman
Snow melted enough today to roll it out of the shop and take it for a test ride. Engine fired right up and she drove and handled perfect. Now just gotta get the spindles on the front and then build the hubs for the rear.

First a few pictures in the sun. Last one will be the video.

DSCN0100_zps87363d65.jpg

DSCN0102_zpsb2e64e6d.jpg

DSCN0101_zpsbc0683d9.jpg

th_TestDrive_zps46109f6a.jpg

SALTYWRIGHT

NOW PAINT IT FIRE ENGINE RED.....

Sparky

Lookin good! Was it tippy?

Mike...........

fireman

No not tippy at all. Once the taller wider tires are on I think it will be even more stable. 

Killer 2000 Chevy

SO when are the big-uns going on? :teasing-poke:

Wheelhorse84

We want the big tires!!

Ken B

Nice job Jeff! I'd like to know when YOU find the time? :ychain: You got that project done pretty darn fast!

fireman

On my days off Ken when the wife and kids are at school and I can focus on it without being interrupted. I get so much more done! 

I still have to order the bigger tires. I have already purchased the the parts to convert the front end to trailer hubs just waiting for them to be delivered. Once those come in they have to be modified  and welded in place. Then the bigger tires and rims will go on the front and I can figure out the size I need to make the rear hubs so the tires line up. It will probably be a few weeks till that's all accomplished due to the shipping and having my friend machine some of the parts I cant do in my shop.

fireman

The tires and spindles/hubs actually showed up today. I ran over to Mavis Tire and had them mount the tires on the rims. Then I headed home to figure out how much I have to cut of the spindle to have the tires spaced properly and not hit when they turn. I will give them to my friend to modify tomorrow when I go to work. Hopefully I will have the front end finished this week, then I get working on the rear hubs.

DSCN0111_zps3025b883.jpg

DSCN0110_zps910ea198.jpg

DSCN0109_zps4a411038.jpg

DSCN0108_zps6895a15c.jpg

Sparky

Maybe you allready mentioned it but where did the rims come from?

Mike.............

stevebo

a green tractor......

fireman

The rims are optional accessories for John Deere Gators. I got them from Grnlark (Matt).

fireman
So after I spent an hour and a half snow blowing and shoveling the 6 inches of snow we got last night, I hit the work shop and finished up the front end. Welded on the new spindles and gusset plates then put the hubs and tires/rims on. Now to take my measurements so I can fabricate the rear hubs. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking:

DSCN0113_zpscf426ec3.jpg

DSCN0114_zpsdce6a88a.jpg

DSCN0115_zps38805aa9.jpg

DSCN0116_zpsf491b6ac.jpg

DSCN0117_zpse779d4f2.jpg

DSCN0118_zpsc17c877f.jpg

DSCN0119_zps3654f9f0.jpg

DSCN0120_zps9be98d49.jpg

DSCN0121_zps2353da9a.jpg

DSCN0122_zpsd998f25b.jpg

DSCN0123_zps189c1d03.jpg

Sparky

Its weird how you have spindles that are probably rated to support the load of a front end loader mated to a stamped steel front axle.

No offense meant by my observation Jeff, the thing looks awesome and I'm jelous of your fab skills. (hoping to get a chance to sit behind the wheel at one of the local shows :eusa-whistle:  ).

Mike.............

fireman

The bigger spindles/hubs were the only way to use these rims on this tractor. I added the gusset so the 3/4" original spindles wouldn't bend with the tires being out farther. Surprisingly that front axle looks incredibly strong up close. They added bends to the material to strengthen it. It's captive in the "C" folded steel channel. They welded steel sleeves into the ends were the spindles slide through. It will definitely be at the local shows. The added height should give a better view while cruising the stuff for sale . Maybe i'll be able to beat the other guys who seem to grab all the good stuff! 

You can absolutely take it for a ride as long as you don't mind being seen on a "Craftsman"! 

Sparky

You can absolutely take it for a ride as long as you don't mind being seen on a "Craftsman"! 

That wont be a problem....I own a 2001 Craftsman GT3000 :grin:  .

Mike...........

fireman

I get ribbed all the time by Steve about my John Deere worker!

Sparky

Yep, I get the same treatment from Tony next door about my Craftsman! No biggie...I can take it :grin:  .

Mike.............

stevebo

:hide:

SALTYWRIGHT

i want to drive it also,    please.

fireman

You're more than welcome to drive it Russ!

chris11

I think you could park your RJ under it if it rains. coming out great Jeff

VinsRJ

Jeff, you should throw some WH sheet metal onto and bring it to the show, LOL!

chris11

I dont know Vin, Never know where th WHPD are hangging out.

fireman

Unfortunately I probably won't be at the show this year. We have one school in town K-8, then the kids have a variety of high schools they can attend. My oldest graduates from 8th. grade and they actually have a full graduation ceremony (we never had anything like this). Anyway were pretty sure it's the same Friday as the show and the wife already said there's no way she letting me go to the show if that's the case.