Sign in to follow this  
fireman

Another wild and crazy build about to begin!

fireman

I wanted to start restoring the Senior but have decided to hold off till I have all the appropriate funds, documentation, and a paint and fiberglass shop lined up. So in the mean time, I wanted to build another fun and crazy project like the Diesel Lawn Ranger. A few years ago I had saw a website that had a lifted "Monster" Garden Tractor. I started looking at the sites again doing research on what it would take to build one, and now have the "Fever" to go through with it. It turns out that the Craftsman, " :hide: yah I know what your thinking!", lawn tractor seems to be the best candidate for the lift and conversion (at least has the most documentation about lifting).

I started looking for a tractor that would suit my need. Wanted something clean that didn't need any work so I could focus on getting it lifted. I found this one over in Dover Plains, NY. It is from the 90's and is a low hour, SUPER clean tractor with no rust. The frame looks like it rolled off the line yesterday. Has a 14 horse Kohler engine that has a spin off oil filter. The guy I got it from is retired and buys, refurbs and sells all kinds of gas engine lawn equipment etc. He got this from a elderly neighbor who used to cut his little 1/4 acre lot, then clean the mower and store it back in the garage hence it's awesome condition. Got to talkin' tractors with him "for 2 hours!" and ended up bringing this home for $100.

The first 2 pictures is of how the tractor looks now. The third is it with a little bit of photo shopping to see what it would look like with just some bigger tires on it. The last picture is one of the exact tractor with a boat load of lift and huge tires. Don't think i'm gonna go that high but you never know. Design of the lift begins tomorrow since I have the day off. It should take a few days of working out what needs to be done, then purchase some materials and parts to make it happen. Not sure how long it will take me over all but I do know it WILL be ready for the spring show in Kent, CT!

101_1202.jpg

101_1203.jpg

edit1.jpg

Kelpages003.jpg

Sparky

Sounds like an ambitious project. So do you have to fab it all or do you buy a lift kit for your particular tractor?

Mike.......

fireman

Mike, nobody that I found produces a kit for a lift. The majority of tractors that I found lifted were Craftsman, then Murray, Cub Cadets etc. (and like 2 Wheel Horses!). I will need to fabricate a subframe that looks just like what you see on Monster Trucks today. The transmission will stay in place. The existing axles will get cut back and sprockets mounted to them. A new live axle will be mounted at the bottom of the subframe and set up similar to a go-cart. It will then be connected by a chain. The existing front end will disappear and I have an idea I saw on another tractor for the front end. I will use a manual rack and pinion for the steering. It actually should go pretty easy. Once I get the dimensions for the subframe I should be able to build it completely and then for all intense purpose set the tractor on top of it. There will be a little modification to the tractor but nothing crazy.

Coadster32

Cool project Jeff. (I do like the look of the last photo though). Sure you don't wanna go that high?? :eusa-think:

Sparky

Cool project Jeff. (I do like the look of the last photo though). Sure you don't wanna go that high?? :eusa-think:

Yep....go big or go home :grin: .

:ychain:

Mike............

• Like 1

fireman

The criteria for the height is it has to be able to fit into my enclosed trailer so that is what I am shooting for.

1maidenfan

GO BIG!!!! OR STAY HOME... :ychain::happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-jumpeveryone:

One of our members has a "monster tractor" hopefully he will chime in.

I have always wanted one of these, hopefully one of these dayz :eusa-think:

Keep us posted.

stevebo

Oh boy.... at least it is not a green one...

fireman

Maybe if I get real ambitious i'll try to find and add a super charger like this guy did to his Wheel Horse Vertical Shaft! Don't think it belongs to anyone here as I have never seen it before on our site.

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

Coadster32

:omg:

AMC RULES

Holy guacamole Jeff, if that last Craftsman pict is your goal...

once in the seat of that thing, you'll be in the nose bleed section...

you're gonna need to cut a hole in the roof of that trailer. :scared-eek:

Jake Kuhn

Sounds like a very cool project! Looking forward to seeing some progress.

wallfish

The criteria for the height is it has to be able to fit into my enclosed trailer so that is what I am shooting for.

Little tires to roll it around and then change to the biggest obnoxious tires you can find to show it --- if you want to go high.

I'm looking forward to following your build

VinsRJ

I would go with air ride... frame scraping to high-jacker!

Look like a cool project!

SALTYWRIGHT

PAINT IT W/H RED WHEN IT IS DONE.. KEEP US POSTED. PUT A DIESEL IN IT. RUSS

fireman

I'm trying to keep this an "as low as possible" budget project as it is just a toy. Something to keep me busy through the winter. I need to find a decent set (4) of used tires and rims. I'm thinking 26"x12"x12". The rears on there now are 18" so I think 26" with some lift should look good.

Zeek

That is a cool project, I can't wait to see the pictures :banana-rock:

Ken B

Looks like a fun project Jeff. If you decide to go tall like the last picture I have a set of 16 inch Chevy Rallye truck wheels with tires on em to donate to the cause. 6 lug though.

fireman

Thanks Ken! I have something in the works for a set of 12" aluminum rims.

whfan74

I love the project Jeff! Glad to see you putting your imagination and skills to work! Can't wait to see it done!

Cole

Now all you have to do is get a ladder to get on and off of it? :ychain:

fireman

This project has been on hold for a while. Was waiting to hook up with Matt (Grnlark) to pick up some rims for it and a set of tires. I needed the tires so I could do a mock up and get the dimensions I need to design the lift. Got the rims from Matt and picked up a set of used 23" tires to do the mock up. So today I put the tires on the tractor and took my measurements. Now I'll add those numbers to the layout I have already in CAD and figure out all the geometry. Here are pics of what it looks like with just the tires.

post-1626-0-02417100-1361306232_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-39001500-1361306307_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-37382200-1361306384_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-06415600-1361306460_thumb.jp

Wheelhorse84

Kinda funny not seeing lug nuts on those rims.

fireman

That's only temporary. I have a nice set of aluminum 5 lug rims waiting to go on at the end of the build. I am going to make a set of hubs for the rear. The front will get trailer spindles bored out and welded on the existing ones then 5 lug hubs installed. Those other rims are just for the mock up. 

So anyway, I picked up some of the metal I needed and spent a few hours this morning working on the lift for the rear. I got the main vertical supports done. Just need some more 1" square tubing to attach the front of the differential to the frame (Tractor Supply only had one length in stock). Once the back is finished, I'll mount the temp tires and get started on the front lift.

Here's where I'm at so far:

post-1626-0-55419400-1361383729_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-12103000-1361383800_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-67097400-1361383876_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-04656800-1361383953_thumb.jp

fireman

Here is a picture of the rims that will go on when it's done:

post-1626-0-66814000-1361385053_thumb.jp

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1