Sign in to follow this  
fireman

Another wild and crazy build about to begin!

jimt1971

I would love a set of those rims.

stevebo

THOSE rims will NOT go on that tractor if I can help it...... :hide:

stevebo

I stand corrected those are only 12 inch wheels so you can use them... lol

Ken B

That is looking pretty cool Jeff and nice work, I am HATING Tractor Supply these days. It seems every time I go in there they only have one left or out of stock. I go in there once a week at least, there are some things they haven't restocked in months!

fireman

Went to Home Depot tonight. They had plenty of the steel tubing that I needed. Gonna spend a couple of hours tomorrow morning and get the rear lift finished up.

fireman

So after spending a few hours this morning in the shop, I finished up the rear lift and put on the mock up rear tires. Then got the front end up on jack stands. It still needs to go a few inches higher in the front but I need to get some cribbing to hold it up. The jack stands are almost at their max height and I have to work under there and just don't trust it.

post-1626-0-96724700-1361473368_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-25696700-1361473449_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-27478300-1361473530_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-08426900-1361473611_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-45695300-1361473690_thumb.jp

welderman85

looks cool nice work

Jake Kuhn

Thats turning out very cool! :handgestures-thumbup:  can't wait to see more progress on it!

fireman

So today was a marathon down in the shop. Started at 8:30 this morning and just came up for air at 3:00pm. I got the front end lift figured out, fabricated and tacked into place. Decided to use the existing set up. Cut the welds attaching it to the frame then cleaned it all up with a grinder in preparation to lower it.  still have to add some lateral support to stiffen it up. The front and rear axles are now sitting at the same height off of the ground which is what I needed to run the same size tires all around. Probably going to add two small go-cart shocks to slow down the rocking motion up front.

DSCN0061_zps5aaaee2d.jpg

DSCN0062_zpse7fea530.jpg

DSCN0063_zps0c57f5dc.jpg

fireman

Ok I told myself that I wasn't going back in the shop today but I was just so motivated that I went back down. Got the lateral supports done. I used some of the stock brackets. The belt tension assembly was blocking me from mounting the tubing to the inside of the frame rail on one side so I just used the oem brackets. They actually worked out perfect. 

DSCN0064_zps6a151357.jpg

DSCN0065_zps44bb90c7.jpg

DSCN0066_zps535f01b1.jpg

Fun Engineer

Very cool project Jeff. I have a question. How are you going to transfer the power to the axle/transmission from the engine pulley?

welderman85

very nice work that is going to look awsome when done

fireman

The pulley will stay in it's original place. I am going to weld a piece of the 1" tubing across the frame and attach a pillow block bearing to it. Then I will use a length of 5/8 keyed stock from the pulley down to a coupler which will join it and the existing stub shaft on the transmission. It's actually pretty simple and seems to work good from the research I've done.

chris11

What are you going to use for hubs for the wheels?

fireman

Hey Chris,

The rear hubs I will machine myself. Seeing as it has a 3/4 keyed shaft for axles that will be easy. If you check out this link, it will show you how I am going to due the fronts. Pretty slick way of doing it!

http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com/photo.html

chris11

I have a keyway broach set if you need to use it your welcome too it.

fireman

My friend who works as a tool and die maker will take the hubs once I'm done and cut the key slot on his wire EDM. Does a real nice and clean job! Thanks for the offer though.

Coadster32

I'm liking the build Jeff!! Pretty cool, and of course, nice fab work. :handgestures-thumbupright:

fireman

I didn't work on this project for the last two days. Had Boy Scout stuff to do for one of the boys all day yesterday and spent the day at Steve's today. Got home from Steve's and had to do some painting that was on my chore list. Afterwards went into the shop to wash out the paint tray and brush and was staring at this on the lift. I wanted to see if my measurements actually worked out and if it would sit level when the front tires were on. Jacked up the rear on one side and removed the tire. Then leveled it out in the rear. Slid the tire on the front spindle. It went on tight against the ramp so it's were it is supposed to be. Man when I stepped back it looked perfectly level. Can't believe all the numbers worked out. Now I'm going to being working like mad so I can get this at least road worthy so I can get it outside and take it for a spin!!!

DSCN0073_zpsfd4f6833.jpg

DSCN0074_zps3b6b5945.jpg

fireman

Spent a few hours today down in the shop. Mocked up the steering to see what I needed to do to make it work with the lift. Had to go down 2 1/2" and forward 1". Made a temporary plate to try it and it works great. Now I will cut and add a piece in to the steering rod to make it match the original bracket.

Then I tackled the drive setup. Made a new extension shaft and milled in the 3/16" slot for the key. Added a cross member and mounted the bearing. I had to make a temporary coupler out of a hub I had laying around because the one I ordered hasn't come in yet. All in all it looks like it should work perfect.

DSCN0081_zps9edcd6e8.jpg

DSCN0082_zps6736ac60.jpg

DSCN0076_zps00ef91af.jpg

DSCN0079_zps2fb92e1a.jpg

DSCN0080_zps8abd479d.jpg

DSCN0075_zps85993d05.jpg

chris11

Thats coming out great. cant wait to see it done, If i can make anything for you let me know...Chris

fireman
I got the shaft coupler in the mail yesterday and finished up the drive setup. Still waiting for the spindles for the front end. I figured while I wait I would put the stock tires back on and check out what it looks like on the ground. The pictures don't do it justice. It looks so cool in person. If we didn't get almost 8" of snow last night I would take it out for a ride today. 

DSCN0085_zpsc6914526.jpg

DSCN0087_zps5170005e.jpg

DSCN0088_zps5af9f680.jpg

Wheelhorse84

Can't wait to see it with the big tires.

fireman
Spent a couple of hours in the shop today. Got the steering linkage bent, lengthened and installed. Also came up with a way to maintain using the stock shifter. I just added a length or steel rod and a plate that simulates the original shifter tab on the transmission in it's original (or close to it) location. It works good. Just can't whale on it and take my time putting it in gear.

DSCN0094_zpsbaeb2371.jpg

DSCN0095_zpscc35bab1.jpg

DSCN0096_zps9b5b0e51.jpg

stevebo

Jeff even tho it is not a horse you did a great job on it (as always). Looking good!!