Sign in to follow this  
fireman

Another wild and crazy build about to begin!

wallfish

That thing is comin' nice.

Make sure to tighten the spark plug and put some gas in it for Mike's ride. Here's the story of his last adventure.

chris11

Hey Jeff how are the rear hubs coming?, I was thinking you could use wheelhorse rear hubs and just make a stepped down collar with key way in them.

fireman

Just got the metal yesterday for them. I should have them done by this up comming weekend.

chris11

I want to see that thing done, cant wait to see it with rear wheels on it.. my offer still stands if you need that broach it only takes 10 mins to do it in a press.

fireman

Checked with my friend the machinist and his wire EDM machine can do a 10" deep part. Mine are only 8" so I'm all set. He is also cutting me out some end plates and putting in the bolt pattern for me. Once I get the parts from him all I need to do is weld it all together!

chris11

Jeff any luck? love to see a picture all done.

fireman

I finally ordered the shaft couplers I needed and they came in on Friday. Started working on the tractor that night. Did some more yesterday. I ate breakfast this morning then went down to the shop and went gang busters at it. Got the rear hubs all welded up and mounted to the existing axles. Mounted the rear tires and rolled it off the lift. I had to grease the front bearings as they were new and I had put them on during fabrication for fit. Got those done and remounted then outside she went. The battery was weak from sitting all winter so I had to start it with the jump pack. She fired right up and runs great. It drives perfect and the shifter works good. The steering is surprisingly very easy. I am thrilled at the way it came out. Now to paint the metal I added, the rear-end and touch up anything else that needs it. Can't wait to bring it to the next tractor show!!!

DSCN0148_zps10bb0cdc.jpg

DSCN0149_zpsac3d149b.jpg

DSCN0150_zps8c298970.jpg

DSCN0151_zps8b939b1a.jpg

DSCN0152_zps8eeab126.jpg

DSCN0153_zps9fe55d2d.jpg

DSCN0154_zpsde43dc30.jpg

DSCN0155_zps4e64df0e.jpg
  • Like 3

chris11

That is very cool Jeff, nice work man. I want to see that at the shows. Thanks for the pictures

Sparky

Looks great! Maybe it'll make it to Zagrays this fall :scratchead:  :eusa-think:  ??

Mike..........

fireman

I plan on being at Zagray in the fall and this will be there too!

SALTYWRIGHT

I WANT TO SEE IT ALSO......

AMC RULES

I'd like to ride it...  :banana-parachute:  

but I'm scared of heights.  

• Like 1

stevebo

Looks good Jeff. Feel free to bring it over to the ponderosa for a ride around if you want. 

fireman

Here is a short video.

fireman

Just and update. I didn't want to just trust the single set screw against the keystock to hold the hubs and tires onto the axle. So I drilled out one on the set screw holes in the hub that was located closer to the inner end of the axle. Then used a transfer punch to make a mark on the axle shaft. Removed the hub and drilled and tapped it for a 1/4-20 bolt. Now the hub is firmly bolted to the axle along with the original set screw and key stock. 

Here are two more pictures of the finished project. The second one has me in it so you can see a size comparison. Don't know if this is a far as I am going to take it. I may opt for a paint job and maybe some type of roll bar so I can put some lights on top!

DSCN0189_zpsaba2f2d3.jpg

DSCN0192_zps9da033b3.jpg

• Like 1

stevebo

If you put a roll bar on it you are gonna need a bigger enclosed trailer ! Looks good Jeff. 

SALTYWRIGHT

JEFF WILL YOU BE AT KENT WITH IT ?

fireman

Hey Russ,

Yes I will be at Kent on Saturday and it will be there too!

Gonna go to Kent on Friday also just to get first dibs in the Flea Market section  :banana-rock:

Coadster32

Great job on it!! :handgestures-thumbupright: Looks awesome and seems like it handles pretty darn good. Have you done any off-roading with it yet to test out it's manners??

Ken B

Looks great Jeff! (But,) I think you need to bust out another thousand and buy one of them Jeep body kits for it. I think you'd easily get your money back if you decide to sell it...Can't wait to see it at the Kent show.