Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Need help fixing seat...

Kevbo

So my seat on my 414-8 is pulling away from the metal back and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to fix it...

I was thinking clamping it back together with epoxy? Would this work? Other ideas?

AE24C35E-E069-4255-A320-72A9B23ECC8E-5563-000004035A8860B7.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Worth giving it a try.

I'd probably disassemble it, clean the pan to bare metal, and prime it first. :twocents-twocents:

Kelly

I'd buy a new seat cover, just be sure to take the seat pan with you when you pick one out so you get the right one, they make a bunch that are close.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Who sells those covers Kelly?

JackC

I have a few I want to try to repair but I have not attempted it yet.

My plan is to remove the clamping strip around the perimeter of the seat (maybe heat it a little first with a heat gun), then heat the vinyl carefully with a heat gun to soften it up, then use a vinyl repair kit to repair the holes and cracks, and then try to put it back together.

Has anyone had success in repairing the vinyl seat covers?

Tankman

I just replaced my terribly worn seat, 416-8.

Tractor Supply has a steel pan seat, high back, mounting holes match.

Was $74.00 including PA State Tax. I like the seat but, doesn't have drain holes. Watch the weather.

I have picked up seats at the junk yard. Found a few good ones in the past, $5.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/high-back-steel-pan-lawn-tractor-seat-0278051

• Like 1

Don1977

I don' think you'll have much luck trying to repair the seats. Once the the vinyl gets old, hard and starts to crack there isn't a way to stop it. I need a new seat mine started cracking 3 or 4 years ago beginning to look bad one crack runs about half way across the seat.

JackC

I don' think you'll have much luck trying to repair the seats. Once the the vinyl gets old, hard and starts to crack there isn't a way to stop it. I need a new seat mine started cracking 3 or 4 years ago beginning to look bad one crack runs about half way across the seat.

You are probably right. The vinyl is very thin. Anyone with a good seat probably should be moisturizing it on a regular basis with a good vinyl dressing and keeping it out of the sun.

Tankman

Pictured below is the same seat noted above from Tractor Supply.

This seat I picked up ($5.00) at the junk yard. The cover seems rubber like, peels off. I did. Pulled the foam out, cleaned and painted the steel pan gloss black. Spray adhesive, put the foam back in. Mounted w/ 5-16 x 18 SS bolts / SS lock washers on my 414-8. Nice!

I then sprayed, RustOlem Gloss Black on the seat covering, very nice.

I went to Tractor Supply and purchased ($74 bucks w/ tax) another, the same, for a newly acquired 416-8. Due to the wet condition, had to hacksaw the bolts off the old seat.

The WH seat was terrible, too much gaffer tape. Ugh.

Might this still be true?

"Wheel Horse of Michigan, Custom reproduction seat manufacturer. Buying and selling all brands of garden tractors and parts. Collecting and restoring Wheel Horse garden tractors."

Kelly

Many lawn mower shops have replacement seat cushions, like the factory seat reuse the old welting that holds it on, I have a pile of the here from a old dealer but fit is important you need to have your seat pan with you when buying just the cushion, they run about $20-40 around me, in fact TSC had some last time I was in there.

If you scroll through about down half the page you can see how I installed a new cover on my 520 seat.

JackC

Kelly, nice job on the tractor and the seat in particular. Are the covers still available and if so where from?

I ordered some of the windlace to try on some seats and the tank and hood trim on my D-160s.

GlenPettit

On eBay, if you search "tractor replacement Seats" you'll see just the plastic/foam replacement seats for sale, starting at about $10, but the shipping is $20. I contacted a seller and purchased five, the total shipping was only $30 for all five (+$50 for the seats).

In the past I've seen these blank replacement seats at fairs, tractor flea markets and at "surplus tool sales" stores, they usually go for about $10 or 3/$25 if you dicker with them. The vender will buy them by the random pallet (4x4x6' high), all sizes, sometimes a model name is cast in, but never Wheel Horse.

Often the original "windlace" edge is too stiff or cracked to save, so you may need that also. Only replace these on a very warm day, in the sun; follow Kelly's steps for success.

To help keep the seat soft for less cracking and a much longer life, spray plastic protectant (I think Meguiar's is best) on the seat after you have finished mowing, every month or so, and wipe it in -- that week wait will allow most the liquid restorer to soak into the plastic vinyl, making it less slippery next time you use it. Like all plastics, the direct sun & UV exposure dries out the internal oils & ages the seats quickly.

They are made in Jackson, Michigan, they also made the Wheel Horse seats there. I've Emailed them, no response, re: Wheel Horse seats.