Sign in to follow this  
roscoemi

An epic journey

roscoemi

I posted an add in the classifieds looking for a smaller 'horse for my 9 yr old son for Christmas a few weeks ago and Fun Engineer answered the call with a 1967 Lawn Ranger. We set a time and agreed to meet at his place. So this morning I picked up my buddy Sam and headed north with my smoker trailer as the utility and my ramps are in the UP hunting.. Ten miles out we were in white out conditions on icey roads, only 50 miles to go. Engaged 4 wheel drive in Kalkaska and never topped 40mph the rest of the way. For those contemplating "borrowing" Dave's tractors while he's gone (a nice set by the way), good luck finding them. :banghead: You were right Dave, gps is even screwy up there! The gps lost it's mind, but a phone call told us we were within a mile and he talked us in. What we found was a really nice guy with a 3 car man cave to die for! :greetings-clappingyellow: And this little guy with a deck and snow blade.

post-6649-0-21716500-1353786829_thumb.jp

We tried getting him started and bs'd for an hour, haggled for 30 seconds, then loaded him up.

post-6649-0-69576200-1353786937_thumb.jp

After strapping him down, we hit the road for home. The weather had warmed slightly and the roads were in better condition. B) About 4 miles north of Kalkaska, we found ourselves sideways. Completely sideways, both ways several times. :scared-shocked: My truck decided not to die an untimely death in the middle of nowhere and straightened itself out, although the trailer wanted to continue to play for a bit. Pulled over to check the trailer and contemplate hitting the dollar store for new undies and toilet paper! We made it back to South Boardman, put the Ranger in another buddies barn and beat feet back home with no other troubles.

post-6649-0-32920100-1353787731_thumb.jp

I sure hope my little guy loves this one as much as he loves mine!

Will keep updating this as the seat cover needs to be installed, fender welded and the carb cleaned. I have a set of v-bar chains for his 4 wheeler that I might be able to modify to fit. All hopes are having it running so he can plow with daddy on Christmas. :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 4

Jake Kuhn

Sounds like quite the journey! The tractor looks really nice and I'm sure your son will really love it!

roscoemi

My blood pressure is close to normal now that several hours have passed. My Dad flipped his truck on his way home from here, rear hydroplaned, a couple months ago and got only a few scratches. Didn't want him to get the call that I got. I think the boy will be all in with his OWN tractor, and quit worring mine to death! :eusa-think: Just be bugging Dad to get with it already!

krazy_horse

Nice little Tractor, glad you guys made it back home O.K.!!

KC9KAS

Nice looking Ranger. Keep us posted.

AMC RULES

Looks well worth the risk incurred. :bow-blue:

roscoemi

It all turned out well. The last pic has his tractor backed up to his 4 wheeler, a Suzi 80, with my 250 utility in the background. Going into this I was not sure how big it would be from looking at pics, but should be perfect size for him. Now as long as nobody tells him about it, I should have one happy guy on Christmas. But how do I explain how Santa got it into my shed? :eusa-think:

Wheel-N-It

Santa knows thats the right place for the little Ranger to be :occasion-santa:

• Like 2

Sparky

Nice story. Good luck getting it fixed up for Christmas....to bad you dont have a crew of elves in the shed who could toil away all night for ya like Santa does!

Mike..........

MalMac

The same way I do, when the wife in not looking.

roscoemi

Hey Sparkey, started a blog about this project. Not sure how to do it, but I'll give it a shot. The wife covered for me today when I went to work on it, got him to go out sledding with the neighborhood kids. Usually he will not leave my side on weekends, might be doing cool "guy stuff" and he will not miss out on that!

855ownerJoel

Nice horse!!! Im sure he will love it......starting another addict are you? JK everyone loves a Wheel Horse, or two!

roscoemi

He's already hooked! My tractor soon became "our" tractor, so I had to get him his own. The long vision is the hobby will help keep him out of trouble in the teen years. Have two teens and no problems yet, so the plan seems to work.

Fun Engineer

Russ

Glad you made it home safe. We had another 4+ inches since you left. Probably about 8" total on the ground. Follow-up with pictures after the Christmas.

Hi to Sam.

Dave

roscoemi

Will do Dave. Thank you for all you've done and appreciate that you have trusted me with this excellent original. :thanks: I've started a blog on this project so when he finds his lil 'horse on Christmas, he can read about the whole thing and the people involved in it. The plan is to have it running for Christmas 'cause a non runner would be a bummer, we can do the rest later. The only thing is I will not repaint it, it's too good of an original to restore cosmetically. You have made one little boy happy and he doesn't know it yet! :thumbs: Russ

SousaKerry

Hey Fun Engineer you can send some of that snow over here if you like. I've been dying to try out the blower and we haven't had more then a dusting yet. :ychain:

Fun Engineer

Kerry

Here's a link to a webcam about 5 miles from us. http://snowmancam.com/ Snow has melted a lot since the weekend. With the ground still warm we loose a lot of snow for the first few until we get an insulating blanket of snow. Where we're located at, the ground normally doesn't freeze.

I'm sure if you wait long enough you'll have all the snow you want. I think we're in for a good winter.