Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

Simple grease question

Kevbo

So...how many squirts of grease should go into each fitting when performing maintenance and how often? Thanks!

rmaynard

I pump it in until it the old grease is pushed out and the new starts to follow it. Frequency? Every 25 hours or whenever you feel you need it.

Edited by rmaynard

TT

Tractor-wise, I grease mine until I hear it 'crackling' - which is hopefully the sound of the old grease being purged.

25 hours of operation is a common recommendation, but shorter intervals will not hurt.

It has been said that over-greasing rotating bearings isn't really good for them, so I stick with the 25 hour schedule on the deck spindle bearings.

krazy_horse

I have a small grease gun I use to lube my tractors. I will pump grease in the fitting until I see it began to see it seep out around the joints,say on the front wheels I give it enough grease till I see it start to come out then wipe off excess. Some will take more than others. Be sure and keep the pin that holds the front axle well greased. I have several tractors and they don't get a lot of use so I grease mine once a year. Hope this helps

Edited by krazy_horse

Wheel-N-It

Ditto on pushing out the old grease. For the deck spindles though, I give each one three full squirts every time I cut grass or every 4 hours, whichever comes first. BTW, I've never had to replace a deck spindle. I use grease made by Lubrication Engineers, but I think I've used Lucas in the past with good results. Although when all else fails, cheap low quality grease is better than no grease.

• Like 1

steve k

We use LE at work wheel-n-it. Its fantastic!! We quit replacing spring pin bushings and U joints after using it a while. Its WELL worth the cost. (and sticky!!)

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I tell the members here all the time how good LE stuff is and everyone is like :text-nocomment:

Thats OK Steve. You and I will be out enjoying our Wheel Horses while everyone else is hammering new bearings in a dead horse :deadhorse:

• Like 1

Kevbo

LE sounds like the way to go. Where would one go about purchasing some??

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Tankman

Owners Manual says every 25 hours.

I grease often, when I'm in the shop, bored. Nothing else to do.

I do pay attention to the mower decks, grease frequently. And, why not? :-)

Lane Ranger

What exactly is LE?

Sparky

I own one grease gun and I use it for my trailer bearing so its always got hi-speed grease in it.....so thats what my tractors get everywhere.

I hope I'm not doing something wrong? Never thought about the type or brand of grease before :scratchead: .

Mike........

Wheel-N-It

LE sounds like the way to go. Where would one go about purchasing some??

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Kev, go to lelubricants.com then click on "how to buy". Its easy :) I've been using the stuff for years. After the first few years I used LE, I tried going back to Castrol and Rotella. Instantly there was a noticable difference in how all my engines sounded and there was a loss in smoothness, and power due to an increase in internal friction. It did not take long to change back to LE after that. I use LE in my Suburban, Buick Century, C30 dump truck, Bobcat Skidsteer, Harley 88cu in Twin Cam Softail, all my LAGTs, and as soon as the hour meter hits 100 hours on my Mahindra 4025, LE will be going in it too. I use their grease in everything that has a grease fitting. I've never replaced a bearing or bushing or pin that has had LE lubricating it. I drive my stuff alot more than I work on it. What else can I say???

Well i can say one more thing. Back in April when we were at JayInNC's house for the NC Meet and Greet, I had several Wheel Horse guys remark how they had never heard a Kohler Magnum 12 run as quiet as mine (the one in my avatar). I told them its because of the LE.

steve k

http://www.lelubricants.com/index.html

This site has links on how to/where to buy.

LE grease is simply synthetic #2 grease, and the best money can buy. BUT it is spendy! last I knew it was around $12 a tube if ya buy a case.

steve k

Wheel-n-it beat me!! One more thing, If you figure the cost of their products as opposed to the parts you are not replacing in the end it is less expensive.

Wheel-N-It

http://www.lelubrica.../index.html

This site has links on how to/where to buy.

LE grease is simply synthetic #2 grease, and the best money can buy. BUT it is spendy! last I knew it was around $12 a tube if ya buy a case.

My distributor sells it to me for around 10 dollars per tube by the case. However you offset the cost by not using as much. A little LE goes a long way because it does not sling off. If you use their transmission oil be careful not to spill it on concrete. It does not want to come off the concrete. But thats ok as it does not want to come off your gears either. I use that in my C30 dump truck transmission and rear axle, also in the front and rear axles of my Suburban.