Sign in to follow this  
wp205a

Vacuum fuel pump K-181

wp205a

Mine is weeping fuel on the outside, mainly on the right side of the pump. My somewhat, or really, stupid question is, has anyone tried to put a cam operated fuel pump top assembly on a vacuum pump? I have a brand new manual pump from a Cushman Truckster and the top will bolt right on. I'm reasonably sure that the manual pump puts more pressure on the heavier, because of the metal attachments, diaphram, but I'm grasping at straws. Tried everything, flat sanding the upper/lower halves, grease, #2 Permatex on the diaphram, cut the metal stuff off the manual diaphram and used it for a gasket, etc. I think my top 1/2 might be deteriorated which is causing the weeping.Thanks, and good night.

wp205a

Ok, the first part of this is for you young guys and girls out there, old ones can skip to the last part.Lesson #1. If your fuel bowl at the gas tank is completely stopped up, you cannot adjust/work on the carburetor enough to fix the fuel bowl problem. Lesson #2. If your "fuel pump is leaking" and it appears to be weeping out the top, check the fuel bowl bolt on the carb to be sure that's not where the fuel is coming from. Lesson #3. If you put a mehanichal fuel pump top on your vacuum type pump, it will work, it will not stop the aforesaid mentioned carb leak however. I'll probably put the original back on one day, but not today. Have a great day, and please pull for Auburn today. We need all the help we can get.

Edited by wp205a

buckrancher

if you fail to learn something new everyday life would be very dull :handgestures-thumbup:

brian

• Like 1

wp205a

And check your condensor, if the insulation on the wire is missing in one or more places,and it touches metal, adjusting the carb will not help that either. :ychain:

AMC RULES

So...help me get this straight.

All along, there was nothing wrong with the fuel pump...but, it is leaking now? :popcorn:

wp205a

Nope, dry as a powder house now.