Sign in to follow this  
glgrumpy

Suggestions on mounting headlights?

glgrumpy

Have a few WH, all with the same metal headlight bucket in center of grill and the lenses on outside. Now, have several new or newer parts to make some work. I notice the bases are all pop-riveted in. Hate that! I have removed one, painted, new wires and bulb ends and went to mount it back. Seems there is no indent what so ever to allow screw heads. I haven't tried flat-head yet, but would have to be awful small to really be flush and not sure I like that. Putting on lens and they DO hit the screws. If I was to tighten, sure would be broken. SO, you guys have ideas or am I just gonna have to use pop-rivets again to get clearance?

KATO

I had to use rivets when i did mine too.

Sparky

The original wiring and pop rivits lasted for 35+ years right :scratchead: . Fix it right with the rivits and you wont have to deal with it for the next 35+ years.

Mike.......

• Like 1

Kelly

The rivets only hold it in place till you install the lens, the screws for the lens go through the hood and screw in to the mounting bucket, I use rivets to hold them in till the lens is installed, just like factory.

KC9KAS

I have removed, rewired and painted several of the light buckets....Pop rivet it back into place.

ericj

i have used flat head srews on mine when reinstalled. i think if i remmber correctly they are only 6/32 so they are small and don't interfear, just don't over tighten the mounting screws

eric j

Tankman

Stay with the pop rivets. I wouldn't use screws, they might get loose with

hood vibration.

If you want screws, try finding some PEM studs, 6-32 should do the trick.

Simply put the stud in the clearance hole, nut on the back tight, remove the nut and you're all set to go.

These will stay flat, and digging into the hood, stay put. I've used hundreds

of PEM studs and nuts (http://www.pemnet.com/fastening_products/studs_and_pins.html).

Use stainless steel, very strong hold in the sheetmetal. Nuts work great too (http://www.pemnet.com/fastening_products/nuts_for_sheetmetal.html).

Pricing (http://catalog.swaco.com/category/self-clinching-fasteners?).

Easy enough. I did have to replace lenses, purchased after market. Not great

but look fine on my Raider 12 and '73 "no name" 12 hp automatic.